It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Do you trespass?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not unless I have specific permission will I ever cross another mans fence, regardless of the circumstances. I have called the Game Warden to help locate a neighbor once when a hog crossed thru a property I had permission to be on. Then it turned into a overwhelming invite, seems the hogs had been ruining this gentleman's garden.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:21 pm 
Field Grade

No

About 20 years ago the largest Whitetail Buck I have ever seen in my life was on the other side of the back fence of a 1600 acre farm I had permission to hunt on. It is the only time in my life that I blew a grunt call, and a deer answered me :).

10 points, about 20 inches inside spread, chocolate rack, would probably score 150-160. He was about 100 yards away from me taunting me as I hid behind a cedar bush. I had the safety off of the Remington 700 .308 with 4.5-14 Leupold Vari-X III thinking, "Come on, jump the fence, nobody is gonna shoot you :)".

He got tired of this imaginary buck grunting at him and walked off into the Mesquite on the other property. I was about 4 miles from the nearest human being and could have easily shot the buck, trespassed on the property, drug it across, and nobody would have been the wiser. I chose not to do it and shot an almost the same size 8 point the next day.

That was in 1996 and I remember it to this day. Do not go on someone else's property without permission. Ever.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would never trespass.

Here we have "no hunting" signs.

It would be a total lack of respect to the property owner to set foot on their property without permission.

I live in a small town and wouldn't be comfortable walking outside amidst 20 people I didn't know having a picnic on my front yard either. And I don't even have signs up!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:27 am 
Diamond Grade

I am amazed that this is even a discussion. If it were a situation of starve to death or trespass to harvest meat, I might consider it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:24 am 
Tournament Grade

Last year my son shot his first ever large bull elk on land that he has permission to hunt. The bull ran after being hit and crossed onto adjoining property. He stopped at the property line and (in Idaho you had better know the lines if you plan to hunt, it's serious business) backed out. He could see the bull down on the opposite side of the dividing fence. When he got to his truck he contacted the property owners to explain the situation and asked for permission to retrieve the elk. They refused to allow him to retrieve it. To this day he is not sure if they left it to rot or if they went and got it. Needless to say he was pretty discouraged. I am proud of him for doing the right thing as hard as it must have been for him..
The upside, word got around and some other landowners gave him additional permissions on other land...they liked the idea that he understood the importance of honoring other peoples property.

I had a similar experience last year. I shot a deer that crossed over onto adjoining posted property. The landowners (a big buck club) do not allow anyone to access their land. I had to leave the deer for the coyotes 20 yards onto their property. Legally we could tag the other persons harvest.....

It's a good idea to line up permissions on adjoining land before you hunt, if it's possible. On my property my neighbor and I have a bit of a contentious relationship. He once hunted my land.... But, we do have an agreement to contact each other if an animal goes onto the adjoining land. We always contact each other before tracking and crossing the bounds. We have always allowed each other to track and retrieve and generally help each other do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 am 
Limited Edition

Only time I'm tempted is out west where we have a literal patchwork of private and public grounds. When you hunt a block of public, you can end up in a corner with two blocks of private and two blocks of public. It is illegal to step over the corner from one block of public to another block of public, leaving huge expanses of public area land locked and virtually inaccessible without a plane. That's a tough pill to swallow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

emgerrish, that sucks. Anyone that would not allow someone to retrieve an animal like that is just a Dbag. You must have raised your son right and he did the right thing, you should be proud. I have always given access to my land to retrieve an animal and most time a lending hand. To come onto my property to hunt is another thing though, or anyone else's for that matter. This is one of the main reason I don't do the deer hunting I used to. Theft of tree stands and trespassing has driven me into the swamps for ducks and geese. I have actually had to kick people out of my own tree stand on my own property.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm 
Limited Edition

If was always under the assumption that you could retrieve game that went onto private property. In Iowa you have to leave your weapon behind, but you don't have to ask to retrieve game.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

McFarmer wrote:
If was always under the assumption that you could retrieve game that went onto private property. In Iowa you have to leave your weapon behind, but you don't have to ask to retrieve game.

I'm not familiar with Iowa law but here in New York you are not allowed to cross a property line to retrieve a kill without the landowners permission. If the land owner denies you you may ask an ECO (Environmental Conservation Officer) for help but if the property owner tells the ECO no he is powerless to do anything about it. The land owner may opt to tag your kill or leave it..you cannot do anything about it.
Idaho is the same as far as I know....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

McFarmer wrote:

That's what I've heard, too, except I didn't think you had to leave the weapon behind.

Take your pick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The law simply varies from state to state.
For instance, in ND you have to put up no hunting signs, but in SD none are necessary. All private land is closed to hunting and trespassing automatically and you have to gain permission by asking for it.
I am pretty sure the retrieval laws vary also.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

It would be interesting for folks to post up here with their local laws.
It is indeed the case that the laws are different from state to state.
I just spent the last 10 minutes digging through Kansas law..

You may pursue a wounded animal onto posted land even without permission but must leave (and presumably leave the game) if asked to by the landowner.