It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buckshot
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ok all of my shotguns seem to like federal rounds, my 870 Hastings combo like federal fusion slugs, my Stoeger m2000 like federal power shock 3"#4 and Winchester 3inch mag coppers seem to fly really well, just wondering what everyone else's guns like to cycle and your preferred round

Post subject: Re: Buckshot
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:53 pm 
Limited Edition

I haven't tried any 'on game' yet, but I've been very impressed by the French-made Estate OO 2.75" loads that have been sold by Midway at a great price for a while now: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/953219 ... -9-pellets

I think you'd be hard pressed to find better performing 'traditional' buckshot, and this stuff is a terrific buy while Midway has it. I don't think it'd be much of a long range load, but inside of thirty yards it has patterned very well out of numerous guns for my buddy and I. The shells are clean, well made, and the loads hit hard on both ends - recoil is stiff but tolerable in our pump guns, and slightly better out of my Remington Model 11.
I'm sure the best overall buckshot is probably the the copper or nickel plated stuff, but of that I've only tried the copper plated OO Federal in the 3.5" loading. It hits hard, but didn't pattern noticeably better out of my Stoeger P350 than the much more basic Estate stuff did. Supposedly, Dixie's heavy-duty Tri Ball buckshot is good stuff, but I've yet to try any of that either: http://dixieslugs.com/products.html

For the money, I don't you can beat the Estate loads for value and all-around performance. At normal shotgun ranges, I would expect them to perform well on deer or varmints, assuming they pattern well enough in someone's chosen gun; from what I've seen of the stuff, running it in several guns with chokes ranging from Cylinder to X-Full, it is pretty forgiving in that regard.

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:44 am 
Utility Grade

Squirrelhunter is right, the copper plated buckshot are very good performing rounds. Try different size shot to see what your gun likes. Stay away from the Dixie Tri Balls, pure junk.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Patterned federal 3" #4 41 out of 41 on human target at 25 yards

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well went and re patterned the 870 yesterday,with the modified choke, got really good results with the winchester 2 3/4 00 it's put all 9 pellets in a 9.5x9.3/4 area and as well as the federal 2 3/4 00 was 9.5 x 7 1/4 inch area, also shot the 3" #4 buck which evenly distributed the 35 of the 41 pellets on the paper pretty happy with the results I got gonna use all mainly the 00 due to having a good amount of it - all shots where taken at 25 yards, next I'm going to take my stogerr m2000 with the buck kicker choke and patternot that with a few different loads I have to see if I can get them even better

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:09 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Dixie Tri-Ball buckshot, with three hard cast .60 caliber pellets, is the tightest patterning high penetration buckshot load I have ever fired through a full choke 12 gauge.