It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your buckshot field experience
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:44 am 
Field Grade

I'd like members to HONESTLY share their actual experiences with buckshot on deer. My issue is some folks claim one #00 is all that's needed to kill a deer, well I guess if it hits the brain- okay- but the ballistics for one pellet is pretty low. I have other folks tell me if three or more pellets hit the lungs, that will usually drop a deer in about 30 yards or so.
Off hand, I would think the tightest pattern possible is what would work best, a whole load hitting the lungs. NOW I realize your aim has to be better than hoping a pellet or two from a wide pattern hits a vital spot.
And...I notice a lot of buckshot hunters opt for a neck shot rather than lungs- like turkey hunting.
And...I realize nothing is etched in stone. I'd appreciate some honest real life buckshot information. Thanks to all. 8)

Post subject: Re: Your buckshot field experience
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use rifles mostly, but killed one medium sided whitetail deer with buckshot. Range was about 20 - 25 yards, load was 3" 12 gauge magnum with 15 #00 pellets, choke was flush Winchoke full. A high lung/spine shot dropped the young buck in his tracks and he expired quickly. No second shot was needed. Most of the pellets hit the buck and penetration was deep, except for those pellets which hit the spine. They broke vertebral bones, but did not penetrate fully through the bones. Overall, I couldn't have asked for better performance, but it must be remembered that the range was very short.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:03 pm 
Field Grade

Last fall I killed three deer using buckshot, 2 does and a fawn. One doe I took three shots at and it went 40yards and died. The other doe was with the fawn and I first shot the fawn in the chest facing me, and the doe was right beside the fawn but I could only take a neck shot. Both dropped on the spot. I was using 12 gauge 2 3/4" 00B in a remington 870 wingmaster with a 20" smoothbore barrel with a fixed modified choke. It depends on the distance you want to shoot. The farthest I would shoot a deer with buckshot is about 75yards, but that is if the deer is still or moving slow and if I had a shotgun with a long barrel and an extra full turkey choke. Buckshot works very well on deer, it's all I use.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Davems wrote:
And...I notice a lot of buckshot hunters opt for a neck shot rather than lungs- like turkey hunting.

Take a look: http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... -buckshot/

It isn't hard to figure out. Past 20 yards, buckshot spirals downward towards slob hunting.

Anyone who starts blabbing about 00 buckshot, 75 yards, and deer really, really has a problem. When was the last time anyone posted a 75 yard buckshot pattern? It is a joke and not a good one.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:47 pm 
Field Grade

Past 20 yards, buckshot spirals downward towards slob hunting.

I killed a buck two years ago with 00B at 30 yards, so does that mean I am a slob?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It means only what it means and shows only what it shows: http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... -buckshot/ .

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:03 pm 
Field Grade

please watch this video, skip to about 17:00 minutes and watch to the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG9ZDXmgEQg

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... -buckshot/
remember that the shells he was using were cheap. buckshot reloads would be more accurate. also the barrel he has looks about 20" maybe 25" at most. We also do not know what kind of choke he is using or even if he is using one at all. He said he went to a defensive class, so it is likely cylinder bore, improved cylinder or modified at most.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Davems wrote:
And...I realize nothing is etched in stone. I'd appreciate some honest real life buckshot information. Thanks to all. 8)

It is old, well-traveled ground: viewtopic.php?f=89&t=360611&p=3575018#p3575018

I have no idea where the tribe of neck-shooting buckshot-throwers are.

Buckshot compares very, very poorly to any other firearm load used for deer. A .44 RemMag out of a handgun never looked so good, and even the old classic medium intensity rifle loads (.30-30) make buckshot look embarrassingly poor. It is a truly miserable choice.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:57 pm 
Field Grade

Randy, please watch this video, skip to about 17:00 minutes and watch to the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG9ZDXmgEQg

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buckshot is not necessarily a poor choice for whitetail deer in thick, brushy habitat where 50 yards is a long shot. A 12 gauge with the right specialty aftermarket choke and loads can put up good patterns at 40 yards. As always, the deer deserve good judgement and careful shooting; there is no place for spray and pray with shotguns or rifles.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:22 am 
Diamond Grade

With regard to the video...

It would have been more realistic to shoot at a paper plate, not a piece of cardboard the size of a deer's whole body, because a 9" paper plate more or less represents the vital area of a deer. I saw very few hits within 4" of that aiming dot.

Just me, but if the only way I could hunt deer would be with a shotgun and 00 Buck, I'd not hunt them at all.

If you're limited by law or just bound and determined to hunt deer with buckshot, keep the range short enough that you can keep most (if not all) of the pattern on the aforementioned paper plate and take only broadside shots.

You'll probably find that the range at which you can do that makes a bow look like a long-range weapon.

Take your pick.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:45 am 
Field Grade

All those who have posted about buckshot being a poor choice- is this relaying what you read in magazines or is there some type of real world experience? In other words if buckshot is a poor choice please tell us why, such as "I've shot at 10 deer with buckshot, 1 dropped, 2 ran 40 yards, the other 7 escaped and were never recovered. If I had used a 30-30 I feel all 10 would have been recovered"- stuff like that- real life experience.
I've seen some of the You-Tubes, one on a big huge hog. It looks like the shooter is 70 plus yards away and probably never patterned the load, a good chance none of the pellets even hit the hog.
I've been on this kick with other websites but it looks like there may be some real life input here- hence my question.
I live in Florida and there are a lot of dog hunters. This is all new to me. They have a large investment in the dogs and the cost of the firearm is insignificant. A few use semi-autos in .243 or .308 but probably 80% use shotguns. That surprised me. They may shoot anywhere from 6-70 deer a year. Quite a few use N0.1 buck. They usually keep shooting until the deer is down and I'd say the average shot is 25-30 yards. The last buck I shot was 37 yards and I used a 30-30 and I was on the ground sitting against a tree. Most of the locals have actually patterned their loads and some claim they have loads that put all the pellets in a fist sized area at 25 yards.
But....these guys are sort of closed mouthed and they may not be telling me about a lot of deer shot and not found, etc. The other aspect is with a dog a poorly shot deer might be followed and eventually recovered. The dogs may be making up for poor buckshot performance but the locals don't want to admit it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:47 am 
Diamond Grade

Stating that boiling water is hot can be believed, whether or not the person has actually stuck their hand in it at one time or another.

Some things don't have to be tried to know they are a Bad Idea.

Take your pick.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Zbigniew wrote:
Stating that boiling water is hot can be believed, whether or not the person has actually stuck their hand in it at one time or another.

Some things don't have to be tried to know they are a Bad Idea.

Just for the record, Zbigniew, have you ever shot at a deer with buckshot?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:44 am 
Diamond Grade

No, and I've never stuck my hand in boiling water, either.

Take your pick.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So you don't really know how good or bad buckshot is for deer. Merely stating that buckshot is worthless, or that water is hot, doesn't necessarily make it so. I agree that shooting at 75 yards is irresponsible and unethical, but I've seen enough deer killed cleanly with buckshot under 40 yards to know that it can work well when used properly.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:11 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Davems wrote:
All those who have posted about buckshot being a poor choice- is this relaying what you read in magazines or is there some type of real world experience? .

I've hunted deer (and much larger) game for a long time, since I was 11 years old, all over the United States, Africa, Canada, and South America: with shotguns, handguns, rifles, and a great deal with muzzleloaders. Buckshot is a poor choice, a very poor choice.

Merely being able to kill something is a sad discussion, for .22 rimfires can kill moose.

Round balls are very, very poor flying projectile shapes. They have miserably poor ballistic coefficients, the reason that 58 caliber round ball muzzleloaders are comparatively short range weapons and the 32 caliber muzzleloader is a "squirrel rifle."

Buckshot does not expand as does a conical bullet and makes a small wound channel compared to an expanding conical bullet.

Buckshot sheds velocity rapidly and an 1150 fps 00 buckshot load drops to about 850 fps @ 50 yards.

At anything beyond very short ranges, it makes a mess: for you have gut-shot animals. A pellet of buckshot hitting the intestines of a deer is not something anyone wants to clean. It is a bloody, stinky, crummy, crappy mess. That's exactly what happens when you cannot control all of the pellets you blow out of the muzzle. Too many deer (and bear) either run off to die a cruel, linger death . . . or do survive until taken cleanly by a rifle, or not so cleanly by a Buick.

There is no substitute for exact shot placement and buckshot does not offer that. There are multiple holes, meat damage, hide damage . . . just about everything nobody wants to have on an animal they have any respect for and are going to eat.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

^^^This.

In one of Hatcher's books, he writes of an instance where a boy was killed at 600 yards...with a .22 short. Does that make the .22 short a viable 600 yard sniper round? Someone had experience where it worked for them. Anecdotal evidence suggest that since it DID work once, it will work again and that's what's wrong with using anecdotal evidence. How many people want to jump on the '.22 short makes a good sniper round' bandwagon? I'll guess not many.

Each one of those 00 pellets weighs about 60 grains. 60 grains @ 850 fps impact velocity is about half of that of a .25-20 Winchester bullet. Anybody wish to take a squib-loaded .25-20 on a deer hunt? The .25-20 would have an advantage over 00B because you could actually place the shot where it would do the most good instead of relying on total chance to do it for you.

Maybe once a person gets a few miles on him, a respect for game develops. I will not use buckshot on game and not because it won't kill them--that's the problem, it can kill them, but you may not be around when it happens. Then, when you don't collect that one, you go shoot ANOTHER, hoping the result will be different.

Take your pick.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We will just have to disagree on this one. Buckshot can be very effective when used properly, and centerfire rifles can be horrible wounders when used poorly.