It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Your buckshot field experience
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:10 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Hog Wild shot measures 0.6225” and made of non-toxic zinc with a weight of 206 grains.

See post 4 and 46:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ion-w-pics

LeonCarr wrote:
My goal this deer season is to do two things. Take a deer with an AR and take a deer with buckshot.

My pattern standard for buckshot is pretty high...whatever range all pellets fall inside a 9.5 inch paper plate is my maximum range. period. Several factory loads (#1, 00, 000) with the appropriate choke will do this out to 35-40 yards. Federal Flitecontrol 00 or the big stuff like Dixie Slugs Tri-Ball or Hevi-Shot Hog Wild will do this to 45-50 yards depending on the shotgun, and sometimes farther with the Tri-Ball or Hog Wild depending on the choke used.

The most important thing is to pattern test YOUR shotgun/choke/load combination. Do not assume that you can take any shotgun with any buckshot or any choke, shoot a deer at way past ethical buckshot distance, and it will die instantly and erupt like a volcano.

Know exactly what YOUR shotgun/choke/load combination will do.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6