It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Your buckshot field experience
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:10 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Hog Wild shot measures 0.6225” and made of non-toxic zinc with a weight of 206 grains.

See post 4 and 46:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ion-w-pics

LeonCarr wrote:
My goal this deer season is to do two things. Take a deer with an AR and take a deer with buckshot.

My pattern standard for buckshot is pretty high...whatever range all pellets fall inside a 9.5 inch paper plate is my maximum range. period. Several factory loads (#1, 00, 000) with the appropriate choke will do this out to 35-40 yards. Federal Flitecontrol 00 or the big stuff like Dixie Slugs Tri-Ball or Hevi-Shot Hog Wild will do this to 45-50 yards depending on the shotgun, and sometimes farther with the Tri-Ball or Hog Wild depending on the choke used.

The most important thing is to pattern test YOUR shotgun/choke/load combination. Do not assume that you can take any shotgun with any buckshot or any choke, shoot a deer at way past ethical buckshot distance, and it will die instantly and erupt like a volcano.

Know exactly what YOUR shotgun/choke/load combination will do.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:54 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

RandyWakeman wrote:
Davems wrote:
And...I notice a lot of buckshot hunters opt for a neck shot rather than lungs- like turkey hunting.

Take a look: http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... -buckshot/

It isn't hard to figure out. Past 20 yards, buckshot spirals downward towards slob hunting.

Anyone who starts blabbing about 00 buckshot, 75 yards, and deer really, really has a problem. When was the last time anyone posted a 75 yard buckshot pattern? It is a joke and not a good one.

Note the example provided:

Cylinder bore shotgun.

Arguably the cheapest possible 00B ammunition choice that harkens back to pre-1963 buckshot ammo.
- Soft lead pellets
- No shot cup
- No Buffer

Thus, the worst possible example was used to argue that:
" Past 20 yards, buckshot spirals downward towards slob hunting."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am 
Tournament Grade

When I lived in Mississippi, I used a shotgun a lot, and have shot and killed well over a hundred deer using buckshot...

With factory loaded ammo, I used 3" Remington 00 and 000 with good success. Just like all guns and loads, they need to be patterned to see what load and choke each gun likes best...

My favorite buckshot load though, was a reload with 0 buck shot. This 3" load had accounted for the mass majority of my buckshot deer. I never wounded or lost a deer, and I never just shot at a deer and "hoped for the best". I've seen too many guys do that, and watch wounded deer run off to die, and find them a week or two later after the buzzards found them...

I also prefer to shoot a standing or walking deer, but would not shoot a running deer. Yes, they could be hit with a good load of buckshot, but I like to eat deer, and one that has been killed when running just doesn't taste as good!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6