It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Load choice- Deer/Blk Bear
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

So, I have two choices for combined Deer/Black Bear season in the NorthEast-

260gr Nosler Partitions from a 375 H&H complete overkill- but would make any shot viable on a large bear- the average black taken in the state of Vermont is somewhere in the 165lb range I have heard= load developed for future Elk hunts

139gr Hornady Interlocks 7-08mm Rem probably perfect for smaller bear, but for a 300lb black bear maybe not enough?

Thoughts?

Last edited by bls72bmw on Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Load choice- Deer/Blk Bear
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:55 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

bls72bmw wrote:

139gr Hornady Interlocks 7-08mm Rem probably perfect for smaller bear, but for a 300lb black bear maybe not enough?

Thoughts?

More than enough.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:47 pm 
Crown Grade

I like the first option but then the 375 H&H is one of my favorite cartridges and I have used that load myself many times. A stainless/synthetic model is my "bad weather" black bear gun though I am shooting 270 gr Barnes X-Bullets out of it at the moment. If you are working up a load for elk and desire to gain additional familiarity with the rifle, then taking it out deer/bear hunting is a good start.

The 139 gr Hornady is what I usually shoot out of my 7mm/08 and it is a very fine bullet. It would make a decent choice for black bear up to medium sized, ~200 or so pounds, the range is not real close, and you do not hit the scapula. It is not tough enough to reliably penetrate and get both lungs if the shoulder is hit and a bear can go a long ways on one lung. And it does not leave much of a blood trail with only an entrance hole.

I have used this combo on bears a couple of times and was disappointed to not get an exit. It was kind of extreme case as the bears were in the 275-300# range and the distance was under 15 yards which is pretty demanding of a bullet. I switched to a 154 gr round nose from Hornady and had better results but the 375 which replaced the 7mm/08 is much more reliable at leaving an exit. If I were to use the 7mm/08 again I would go for one of the monometal bullets in the 140-145 gr range or a tougher bullet like a Swift A-Frame or Nosler Partition in 150-160 gr range.

And since you are a reloader, keep your eyes open for the Hornady 220 gr soft points. They have been discontinued but are still found on shelves if you look. They were designed for the 375 Winchester and make great deer rounds when down loaded. The last couple of Hornady manuals have had loads for them in the 2000-2200 fps range which makes for a very pleasant shooting load.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

You need nothing more than a 308. I grew up in a little town of Pittsford and have hunted that entire area aggressively. You head up into Mendon, Chittenden and you have black bear heaven. For that matter the bear is thick throughout the region. Never had anything fancier than 308. Many bear taken with 30-30, 32 special, 300 savage and of course old grand-dad 30-06. No need for fancy cartridges just well places shots.
Enjoy yourself great country for: hunting, fishing, trapping and just loving the out of doors! Oh, they have ticks up the wazoo now. They weren't an issue at all when I was growing up and I lived in the woods.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

30.06 for both. 165 grn for deer, 180 grn for Blk bear. But now i use a 45.70 for bear.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

7mm-08 more than enough for any black bear that walks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:35 pm 
Utility Grade

7mm-08 with a Monometal bullet (Barnes, Hornady, or Nosler) as has been suggested.

Although the 375H&H with any bullet would work from any angle.

I have a 375 Ruger African and plan to use it for Elk when I draw the tag.