Shotgun Forum banner

Deer hunters, have you ever wondered......

75K views 56 replies 50 participants last post by  lossking 
#1 ·
What actually happens to that peice of copper or lead that I fling at that deer. I know most of you have seen the pretty pictures of the bullet that the companies that make the rounds put up, but is that the truth. Well sometimes. Here is a small asortment of rounds from last years deer season. We process over 300 deer during the shotgun and muzzeloader seasons and that is where the spent bullets come from.

I posted this in my atv forum, thought you guys would also enjoy.

This is a copper solid 6 pedel hollow point.

These are your standard hollow point lead slugs.

These are your standard lead saboted slugs.

Here are a 4 pedel solid copper rounds.

Standard rifled pointed lead slug.

Thes are your standard saboted lead/copper muzzeloader rounds.

See less See more
#7 ·
This was such a great post, I'm going to make it sticky and put it in the big game section. This was one of the most interesting posts I've seen in a long time.

#11 ·
Last year I used the Winchester Partiion Gold because they were so accurate out of My Ithaca Deerslayer. If I had seen these pictures first, I never would have purchased them!

Oddly though, I shot two deer with them, one at a measured 107 yards and one at an estimate 80. The deer shot at 107 yards wasa hit broadside through both shoulders, went down immediatly, and never moved. The deer shot at 80 was hit behind the shoulders, through the lungs, and ran less than 100 yards.

Maybe this shows that even with minimal expansion, driving a half-inch hole through a deer is fatal?

#12 ·
CZMark- I too chose the Winchester Gold for its accuracy. I have many friends that also shoot/swear by them. Last season, I dbl lung shot a 9 pt buck at est. 50 yds, he ran no more than 50 ft after the hit. Dropped a 135 lb. doe in her tracks at a measured 86 yds.
Both slugs left 2 1/2" - 3" exit wounds and of course weren't recovered. But, I'll take that kind of bullet performance, along with the butt kick its packin any day of the week. I shoot the Golds out of an H&R USH 12ga for "1 shot-1 kill" piece of mind.

#14 ·
A picture of a 400gr Winchester Platinum Tip that I shot a 114# boar with from about 50-60 yards. The slug penetrated just in front of the right shoulder, through the chest cavity, and almost the other shoulder. After it was quartered out, I found the slug in pretty much one piece. It was in the muscle tissue on the opposite side. Once it was cut out, the slug seperated.

#16 ·
Those Winchester high velocity shells I assume are the Power Point 2 3/4 ones at 1700 fps. Any stories about their performance/accuracy ? So far they're the cheapest I can get in my area ($3/5) and I've had good results from other winchester ammo, so I want to give 'em a try.

#22 ·
Fantastic post coolmudrunner! What I like best about it was the fact that you had such a nice cross-section of projectiles for each type to show "typical" terminal performance.

Very imformative. Thank you.

Hey bucktales, that is the exact same load I use in my Cabela's (Investarms) .54 Hawken. I have never recovered any of my projectiles, but I am quite happy with their accuracy.

#25 ·
I have been using the Winchester Partition Gold sabots for a long time now. Last deer I shot was a buck at approx 125 yards, through the lungs, dropped on the spot, complete pass through. Not all go down that quick but I am surprised by the pics you have of this slug. It is devastating in my experience when deer are field dressed and you get to see just how much damage it did.
Hard to believe judging by the pics.
Great post, very imformative. The pictures don't lie. That platinum tip looks pretty wicked. :wink: