It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: Deer hunters, have you ever wondered......
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:56 pm 
Field Grade

Great pix! everyone, I often wondered how those coppersolids worked. I wanted to recover mine from a doe this year but it went right thru (50yds shot) I guess it did enough damage though as she dropped right there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:59 pm 
Limited Edition

Fantastic post coolmudrunner! What I like best about it was the fact that you had such a nice cross-section of projectiles for each type to show "typical" terminal performance.

Very imformative. Thank you.

Hey bucktales, that is the exact same load I use in my Cabela's (Investarms) .54 Hawken. I have never recovered any of my projectiles, but I am quite happy with their accuracy.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:48 am 
Presentation Grade

I thought this was a GREAT post. I think that the most important thing in hunting though, and it doesn't matter what you're using, is shot placement.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

lightfield taken from deer at 30yds, didnt pass thru. deer fell where shot
i put this already on slug shooters but i saw this post so why not

thank you soldiers for freedom, thank you god for everything else. nmca#2071, batf ccr, nra member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:37 am 
Diamond Grade

I have been using the Winchester Partition Gold sabots for a long time now. Last deer I shot was a buck at approx 125 yards, through the lungs, dropped on the spot, complete pass through. Not all go down that quick but I am surprised by the pics you have of this slug. It is devastating in my experience when deer are field dressed and you get to see just how much damage it did.
Hard to believe judging by the pics.
Great post, very imformative. The pictures don't lie. That platinum tip looks pretty wicked. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just purchased 5 boxes of the Federal 2 3/4" 3/4oz Barnes Expander loads(OUCH!-$4.00 a shot) Glad to see the pix's on their performance.

Post subject: Re: re: Deer hunters, have you ever wondered......
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hmm, I don't know what to think of these recovered slugs.... they're big, heavy, fast moving projectiles.... why are they expanding so much and not penetrating completely? I'd rather have a slug that punches a 1/2"+ hole clean through the deer than one that expands like that and stays in the animal.

~Michael

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:04 pm 
Utility Grade

I took a buck last year with the Federal Barnes Expanders at 52 paced yards. Behind the shoulder shot. The slug never came through and it knocked him off his feet. As far as I could see, it never hit a rib. No tracking involved. I stumbled across the Federals because I was running several different ammo makes through my shotgun testing for accuracy. These things come in different powder charges. I went back and bought a few boxes because of the paper test, but I tell every one that will listen about the performance. I use the 12ga 2 3/4 1oz P150XS. Just read it right off the box. MV 1450 FPS est. I use a Rem 11-87 with a Hastings barrel. These things worked well for me last year. (I don't work for Federal or Barnes) I drive a truck.

Post subject: Re: Deer hunters, have you ever wondered......
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:41 pm 
Field Grade

razdog wrote:
A picture of a 400gr Winchester Platinum Tip that I shot a 114# boar with from about 50-60 yards. The slug penetrated just in front of the right shoulder, through the chest cavity, and almost the other shoulder. After it was quartered out, I found the slug in pretty much one piece. It was in the muscle tissue on the opposite side. Once it was cut out, the slug seperated.

I use either the 400gr or the 375gr and they all have been thru and thru in deer. Even in the 8pt buck this year thru the sholders at 75+ yards. The 11 pt was thru the ribs and everything inside was ruptured(lungs,heart,liver,etc.) The shock in the body cavity must be tremendous even for a wild animal. Never find the slug but the exit wound to the ribs is at least 2-3 ribs wide.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Proof is in pooding...
Shadow_Grey wrote:
razdog wrote:
A picture of a 400gr Winchester Platinum Tip that I shot a 114# boar with from about 50-60 yards. The slug penetrated just in front of the right shoulder, through the chest cavity, and almost the other shoulder. After it was quartered out, I found the slug in pretty much one piece. It was in the muscle tissue on the opposite side. Once it was cut out, the slug seperated.

I use either the 400gr or the 375gr and they all have been thru and thru in deer. Even in the 8pt buck this year thru the sholders at 75+ yards. The 11 pt was thru the ribs and everything inside was ruptured(lungs,heart,liver,etc.) The shock in the body cavity must be tremendous even for a wild animal. Never find the slug but the exit wound to the ribs is at least 2-3 ribs wide.

"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:28 pm 
Field Grade

Remington copper solid found in the ground after penetrating completely through a doe last fall from a tree stand 40’ or so up. It was a high lung shot and she didn’t move from where she was shot. Hopefully more to come in a week or so!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:15 pm 
Field Grade

Winchester Dual Bond that Quaid used to shoot a big bodies whitetail buck.

Details.

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=198451&p=1635841#p1635841

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:30 pm 
Utility Grade

VERY interesting post guys!! Really neat pictures, and a lot of nice information.

Here are a couple of pictures of my first deer, a 7pt buck, taken with 1 shot at 35yds. on Nov. 30th. at 10:42AM

Not a 'monster', but he had nice mass, and sure tastes good :D We harvested right at 80lb of meat from him.

I used my 12ga. Remington 870 Express and fully rifled barrel, and a 2.75" Remington Premier Copper Solid Hollow Point Magnum 1oz. Sabot Slug.

I saw this buck coming towards me, so I got the gun up early, and let him walk in closer to me. He stopped, right 'behind' a large Walnut tree...and for 20-30 seconds I couldn't see him at all. When he walked beyond the tree enough I could see his entire body, I shot him. He dropped, then spun around on his front legs and tried to 'go somewhere', and went back down. He had his front end up, and his head was pointed straight up. He tried to get up 2 more times, then laid down.

He didn't move 3' from where I shot him, and within 5 minutes he had died.

It was a slightly uphill shot of 35yds., and I was kinda 'excited', so I must have shot a little high. The slug disenegrated 2 ribs (must have been what got into his left lung), darn near blew his spine in two, and went clear through.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:50 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Bigger than 000 buckshot and complete pass through at 40 yards.

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=203879

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:12 pm 
Field Grade

Here is a picture of a 30 caliber 150 gr Hornady bullet that I found inside of my buck last year.

WE had lot's of old bullets out in the garage, but most of them has some corrosion from being exposed to the elements. I gave my brother his bullet last year when he shot his buck also.

I do not believe that it is important for a bullet to pass completely through the deer.
All it has to do is put a hole in the right place in order for it to do it's job and kill the deer.

My buck went three feet last year - Straight down!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Great post I agree with 300weatherby always interesting to see real world performance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:00 pm 
Limited Edition

That interesting!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey, I am new to the forums and I picked up this thread through a conversation with an old-time friend. I was surprised at what slugs actually look like after they hit something!

I would like to see if you can find any Brenneke Black Magnum slugs in a deer! Honestly I think any of the Brenneke deer/big game slugs would be nice too see if you can find any.

Thanks for the post!
Rick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:19 am 
Presentation Grade

This is real cool - you see more expended bullets/slugs here from one year than I have seen in 20 (or more) - great pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

This is a 20ga. 2 3/4" Remington Buckhammer taken from under the far side skin of a doe in 2010. Shot was about 75 yards. Other than not making two holes, its hard to argue with the expansion.....