It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Semi-Auto for my wife
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wife here.

Having been shooting the 1100s for a few years on the skeet field, I find there's little difference in weight and recoil between the standard 12 and the 20 gauge guns since we load the shells for both at 3/4 oz.

As it turned out, fitting became super important for me. I had been struggling with several targets and so we decided to consult a stock fitter. He suggested that the stock I had was actually too short and I should try out a longer stock.

Lucky me, hubby had just purchased an excellent used ($500) 1100 Tournament Skeet with a standard stock, like new, with the factory stock plate. I hadn't really shot it before this trial and found it to be exceptional going on the faith that it should fit. Clothing combinations during the winter is now my only fit-ment challenge.

My scores improved immediately, picking up several targets that had been super hard to catch. I'm pressing him to trade me his 12 gauge 1100. Now, I'm shooting clays like the rest of the squad.

My recommendation is for a relatively inexpensive Remington 1100 to start. A big recoil pad is not required, but I do encourage a shooting vest to keep the lady's clothing clean.

DogTrot's favorite trots (photos)http://www.panoramio.com/user/2727214

" Man has mounted science and is now run away with." Henry Adams, 1862

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Great advice!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:49 pm 
Utility Grade

french1845 wrote:
Any recommendations for semi-auto shotguns for my wife. We are thinking 20 gauge. She is 5'2" and likes the idea of not having to break an o/u, hence the semi. We would like it under $2000.

This is a very old original post, so the OP has no doubt already purchased a gun for his wife. I would like to add my $.02 anyway so that if someone is currently reading this thread they will have more up-to-date information to work with.

I am very surprised that nobody recommended the Syren/Fabarm XLR5 semi-auto 12 Gauge. Perhaps this was due to their lack of knowledge of the gun. It is simply fabulous and can be had for around $2K or even a bit less if you shop around. In my search for a gun that would fit me I discovered the Syren line of shotguns developed and designed specifically for women. I had the pleasure of being able to shoot demos of the Syren Fabarm and the Tempio Sporting model O/U and was so taken by them that I had difficulty choosing which one to buy! {CR8 The fit of both guns was absolutely perfect in every way. I would have to do absolutely nothing to modify them to suit me. The balance was perfect as were the cast, drop, grip and length-of-pull. Upon shouldering ("mounting") the Tempio Sporting the mid bead sight lined up with the front sight to form the desired figure 8 when sighting down the rib. The triggers on both shotguns were superb and crisp with short reset and virually no over-travel. I was amazed by the light recoil of the Tempio, and the XLR5's recoil was almost non-existent when shooting light 1oz loads @ 1150 fps. Amazing guns!

So which should I buy?? Since I already have a Beretta A400 Xcel 20 Ga semi-auto I decided that I wanted to get into a good over/under, so I went with the Syren Tempio Sporting. At some point if I should decide to get a 12 Ga auto loader I will definitely take another look at the Syren/Fabarm XLR5.

Ladies, do yourselves a great favor and check out the Syren shotguns. You will fall in love! :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:09 pm 
Crown Grade

I wish I had looked at them for my wife, instead she was sold on the Beretta world, we have a Beretta store in Dallas and they sell a lot of glam stuff, so the A400 Action 20ga was what she wanted. Maybe a 2nd gun is in her future.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DallasCMT wrote:
I wish I had looked at them for my wife, instead she was sold on the Beretta world, we have a Beretta store in Dallas and they sell a lot of glam stuff, so the A400 Action 20ga was what she wanted. Maybe a 2nd gun is in her future.

About six years ago I wanted to buy my niece a nice shotgun for her 25th birthday. I shoot CGs, but my sister and her family are Beretta fans. I was driving past Highland Park Village, where the Beretta store is located, so I decided to stop in. As I walked toward the store a taxi pulled up and a guy got out with his suitcase; I held the door for him. It turned out that he too was going to look at guns, so as he was a step ahead of me, the salesman in the gun room took him first. I stood at the counter for about thirty minutes waiting for service. Not a single person working in the store spoke to me, not even to say "be with you in a minute," even through at least two salespeople from the other part of the store walked into the gun side, looked at me, and walked out. After the other customer left (without buying anything), I had the salesman show me a nice 20 gauge, 30" Silver Pigeon O/U. As I was a little ticked, I left the Beretta Store without the gun. On the way home I drove past Ray's Hardware and Sporting Goods and on impulse pulled in. Ray's had the same gun, the waiting time for service at Ray's--zip; they even stayed open past the normal closing time to complete the sale, and because it was dark outside and the parking lot was empty, walked me to my car. Haven't been back in the Beretta store since them, guess I wasn't dressed to get good service in Highland Park. MAJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:01 am 
Crown Grade

MAJ, I've seen similar experiences there. It is a pretty stuffy place. Years ago I did buy a Px4 9mm from them, but the A400 came from Joel Etchen.

My wife works for Fossil, she's emmersed in the fashion world.

Ray's is a great place. I've had gun repair done at their upstairs place as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DallasCMT wrote:
MAJ, I've seen similar experiences there. It is a pretty stuffy place.

Ray's is a great place. I've had gun repair done at their upstairs place as well.

My theory on it being a stuffy place is that all money, no matter how shabby, spends the same way. They let $2K+ walk out their door, and a person who had previously spent money there (an Americase for my shotgun), has never walked back in.

Ray's is great, both the sales staff and the people upstairs. When I picked up my Syren it was so tight I couldn't open it, and even 6 foot plus Chuck had problem with it. Ron upstairs, knowing how much I wanted to shoot the gun, got it loosened up overnight. That was worth a Norma's lemon meringue pie!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 pm 
Crown Grade

I can't understand why Beretta doesn't make a replacement stock for women, for the A400. At least for a couple models of the A400.

If the Syren fits so many women out of the box, why can't Beretta duplicate these fittings with a new stock, either as a replacement or ordered with the gun, it could be balanced with weights and have a lower comb, whatever is needed to get the same effect. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:04 pm 
Crown Grade

For whatever it's worth, my daughter just bought a Franchi Affinity Catalyst 12 ga. She was able to shoot one at a try and buy event, and wouldn't leave without one. She has been shooting guns shortened for her (12 ga. Rem 11 87 Premier most recently) until she bought a Franchi Affinity compact 20 ga. as a bird gun. That put the Catalyst on her short list. She was a good shot before, there'll be no living with her now. I feel for her husband... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yornoc3 wrote:
For whatever it's worth, my daughter just bought a Franchi Affinity Catalyst 12 ga. She was able to shoot one at a try and buy event, and wouldn't leave without one. She has been shooting guns shortened for her (12 ga. Rem 11 87 Premier most recently) until she bought a Franchi Affinity compact 20 ga. as a bird gun. That put the Catalyst on her short list. She was a good shot before, there'll be no living with her now. I feel for her husband... :wink:

You go girl! And she will have a husband who will be very very respectful. MAJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:43 am 
Crown Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Not a single person working in the store spoke to me, not even to say "be with you in a minute," even through at least two salespeople from the other part of the store walked into the gun side, looked at me, and walked out. Haven't been back in the Beretta store since them, guess I wasn't dressed to get good service in Highland Park. MAJ
Or maybe the "wrong" gender.......unbelievable that there's still people like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sobrepuesta wrote:
MAJENKINS wrote:
Not a single person working in the store spoke to me, not even to say "be with you in a minute," even through at least two salespeople from the other part of the store walked into the gun side, looked at me, and walked out. Haven't been back in the Beretta store since them, guess I wasn't dressed to get good service in Highland Park. MAJ
Or maybe the "wrong" gender.......unbelievable that there's still people like that.

Hmmmm, hadn't even thought of that. Last time I looked in my wallet there was no boy money and no girl money, just a bunch of green paper and not near enough of it! MAJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:04 pm 
Crown Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
Sobrepuesta wrote:
MAJENKINS wrote:

Hmmmm, hadn't even thought of that. Last time I looked in my wallet there was no boy money and no girl money, just a bunch of green paper and not near enough of it! MAJ

I just want to say I :lol: every time I read your sig line.........

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"I just want to say I [lol] every time I read your sig line........."

I love Marvin the Martian; and Warner Brothers beats Disney hands down.

MAJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:34 am 
Presentation Grade

Mine has an A400 Xcel 12ga and recoil is not an issue. I give high marks to MAJENKINS, take your wife to a shooting facility or a non-box store and see what's available. Don't shy away from a 12 ga SA, they are gentle. It's likely that almost anything you get her will have to be fit, put $300-400 aside for this. If the gun doesn't fit even a 20 ga will beat her up. Good gun fit is paramount to starting her on the way to beating your scores.
As for the guns below, they are completely different in feel, your wife will select one over the other for her own reasons, or for that matter what ever gun she selects. Don't discount good old Rem 1100. Fitters often won't cut down a synthetic stock. My wife didn't care for the feel of the Benelli, I would have preferred she got that gun, but her Beretta is her keeper.

Beretta A-400
Benelli M2