ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Semi-Auto for my wife
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:18 am 
Utility Grade

Any recommendations for semi-auto shotguns for my wife. We are thinking 20 gauge. She is 5'2" and likes the idea of not having to break an o/u, hence the semi. We would like it under $2000.

Post subject: Re: Semi-Auto for my wife
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 am 
Utility Grade

I forgot to mention that she would use it for upland birds. It should be a lighter gun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:46 am 
Presentation Grade

Most autos are under 2K. Get a Beretta 391 or one of the new 400s that are coming out. They both have Stock shims allow for a near perfect fit. While benellis are lighter, IMO they kick harder.

Post subject: Semi-Auto for my wife
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:00 am 
Tournament Grade

I would look into Benelli. They kick a little more but it's just a different animal between gas and recoil. Benny's and Barry's are both great guns and have numerous options in 20

-BTO-

Benelli Vinci 12ga 28" Black
Benelli SBE2 12ga 26" APG HD
H&R/NEF Pardner Pump 12ga 28" cut to 19"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Suggestion: Read my thread titled, "Why guns fir or do not fit women" in the "Women Shotgun Shooters" forum farther down the list. Guns designed for "average" men (5' 10" tall and weigning 160 pounds) will not come close to fitting your wife.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:30 am 
Utility Grade

I just bought my wife a shotgun to defend the chickens. A Rem 1100, LT-20, Magnum, youth, screw chokes. I am probably going to get a tighter choke with ports. Hand load shells for it. Got about $600 in it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:50 pm 
Utility Grade

As a female shooter I can't say enough about the level of comfort I've had with both 12 and 20 gauge 1100 shooting Trap and Skeet. (starting again after not shooting since childhood so trust me I don't enjoy getting kicked around too much) Since I couldn't find the perfect deal on an 1100 I personally ended up with the 11-87 and multiple chokes so I can do Skeet/Trap or Hunt. Break-action and Pump definitely have a harder kick versus a nice semi-auto with 7/8oz loads. At 5'2 I think your wife would love the Junior but like Rollin says she will still need some fit/sizing. When shopping around we found multiple used Remington 1100s for under 500 - hopefully you'll be just as lucky and can spend that extra money in ensuring the fit is right for her!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:17 am 
Utility Grade

My wife just went through this whole thing for 6 weeks. And ended up with a Beretta A400 20 gauge 28” barrel. She is left handed so it was shimmed and the stock was cut down to fit her with a kick-eez put on. After 3 months of lessons with a fitting gun she is kicking butt! We are even competing in the couple’s competition at our club in Feb. It's at the point that she wants to practice every chance we get and I have not seen her happier. (Happy Wife!!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shotchell,
Where did you find the 1100's? They were rare as hen's teeth her in Austin -saw many a 1187 however..
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 pm 
Limited Edition

French1845,
My wife started on my 20-gauge Beretta 391 and did very well with that. The 391 is a really soft shooting and reliable gun. (I have Seamus' book on how to maintain it - $20 well spent.) She moved up to a Benelli Super Sport 20-gauge (w/ 28" barrels) a year ago and really, really loves this gun. (I love it too because it is so easy to clean.) It isn't quite a soft a shooter as the 391 but the Comfort Tech stock actually seems to work to some degree and my wife never complains about recoil. My daughter inherited the Beretta 391 and she is extremely happy with it. You can't get a new 391 so you may have to look at the A400. And if you wanted to save a little money on the Benelli (and use it for hunting) go with the Benelli Cordoba. I would highly recommend either brand. One advantage of the Beretta is soft shooting with a wood stock that is easier to modify. The Benelli Comfort Tech works well but is limited on how much you can change the dimensions. IMHO you can't go wrong with either option.
KC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

I would suggest looking at the Weatherby SA-08 youth. Way under your budget but just might be the starter gun you are looking for. I will be purchasing one in the near future for young shooters and ladies of smaller stature. Just a suggestion. Good luck on your quest!

B.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:43 pm 
Field Grade

My wife just go a new a400 parallel target short stock with the kickoff on it in 12ga and loves she is left handed. It kicks less then her 20ga over under

Sent from my MB860 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Doesn't matter what gun you get or how many shims you have the gun will need work. Adjustable comb and possibly adjustable butt plate, a custom stock, or cheaper route a stick on comb riser.

wenig makes a custom ladies stock. They can make it for most any gun but costing 800 bucks you will want to put it on a quality gun.

Here is the compromise for my girlfriend. It is what we can afford to invest right now. One thing to consider is how much she can hold up. The only two guns that my girl could lean forward and hold up were the benelli montefeltro and affinity. We went with teh affinity. It is working well for her. She is hitting well and says the recoil is better than the other guns she has tried, including a 391 beretta 20 ga. It is certainly the fit and kickeeze pad that makes the difference.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:20 pm 
Crown Grade

My wife has a 26" 11-87 Premier 20. She's 5/5 and it fits her and handles well enough for her to be quite a good dove, quail, pigeon and preserve pheasant shot. It has a preference for Remington shells, although AAs and quality reloads also cycle well. Another good choice would be an LT-20 1100 with a 26" barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:20 am 
Tournament Grade

Semi-auto for your wife: I'd say GOOD TRADE!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:46 am 
Diamond Grade

french1845 wrote:
Any recommendations for semi-auto shotguns for my wife. We are thinking 20 gauge. She is 5'2" and likes the idea of not having to break an o/u, hence the semi. We would like it under $2000.

Benelli Monte in 20ga, the recoil pad is something of a ... well, not so good pad.

But that's a plus: Cut the stock to fit and put a thicker recoil pad on it. The LT-20's might be too heavy for the wife, the benelli weighs allot less and the mid bead is great as well.

You'll be all set and done with less than $1200... no reason to spend 2k on a semi, get some shells instead :D

Also, she can learn how to field strip and clean that Benelli, if necessary, it's VERY EASY !!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

My 5' 2" loves her M2 Benelli . Short pad. She doesn't like an O/U. She's held a Syren and when I can talk her back on the field, I'm gonna get her one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:29 pm 
Field Grade

I've been considering purchasing a shotgun for my wife for upland hunting and some clays. I took her to the range for the first time and I'm glad I did. First, she enjoyed herself which was my biggest concern going forward. Second, I realized it would have to be a 20 not a 12 (recoil & weight) and it would have to be a S/A not O/U (again recoil & weight). She is not a small woman, 5' 9" (and dieting) so I was really thinking she'd be able to manage the 12, but based on her reactions to handling the 20 (It was a rental Berretta 400) that would be all she could handle. So based on my observations I think the Weatherby SA 20 will be the one I go with. Inexpensive but well built, light weight and something she can grow with. I'll probably take her to the range one or two more times to try some other guns but I'm pretty sure I've narrowed my choice down.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

amaracini wrote:
I've been considering purchasing a shotgun for my wife for upland hunting and some clays. I took her to the range for the first time and I'm glad I did..... I'll probably take her to the range one or two more times to try some other guns but I'm pretty sure I've narrowed my choice down.

Alas, if only your wife was available to speak for herself on the thread by and for women shooters as to what she would want. MAJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:46 pm 
Crown Grade

My wife shot a rented Beretta 391 20ga and loved it. Then she saw an A400 and wanted that. I bought her a Yildiz 28ga OU. She could not cock the thing. So, she got her A400 20ga and is now happy. She is really into Beretta gear as well.