ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Got my first shotgun!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Wow! Got my first shotgun and I am so excited. Never thought I would feel so excited and good about this purchase. I live near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and my husband and I went to the spring outdoor/gun show this past weekend.

We live in the country, so I wanted something for general purpose for walking in the woods out back, in case we (myself and dog) come across coyote, wolf, bush wolf, bear, etc. Peace of mind really. I am also going to try skeet with it next weekend.

I was looking at 4 pumps and actually made a decision (very hard at times, lol) and came home with a 1955 Winchester M12. Very, very good condition and once home, Jim (husband) and I went out back to bang off a few rounds. First 2 were.....wow....then knew what to expect for kick, etc. Shot 12 rounds, missed last 2. Need to NOT baby the pump was the only criticism thus far.

I even named it, and worked with it a bit today, looking it over and admiring it. It's kinda funny how I feel with this new purchase.

Post subject: Re: Got my first shotgun!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Bentley , Welcome to Shotgun world and Congrats on a classic shotgun. I have My dad's Model 12 20 Ga , Sweet shooting gun and has alot of memories.

Shoot Straight and post a few pictures of your new gun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The model 12 is an exceptional gun. The next consideration is how well it fits you - how well the stock dimensions match your size and shape.

A couple of guesses: 1) When you mount the gun (put the gun to your shoulder) with the top of the recoil pad or butt plate extending a little above your collarbone, the bottom of the butt plate or recoil pad makes contact with your shoulder well before the top of the pad or plate.

If that is the case, the angle of the butt needs to be changed so that the whole surface makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder when you mount the gun.

Mounting the gun as described above and with your cheekbone snugly on the comb (top surface of the stock), are you looking along the surface of the rib? You should be if the comb is the right distance below the level of the rib (for you).

2) With the gun mounted as described above and without leaning or tilting your neck forward, what is the distance between the tip of your nose and the closest knuckle of your trigger-hand thumb? It should be about 1.5" or a bit less. My guess is that there is a greater separation. This of course will depend on how the butt makes contact with your shoulder after the "pitch" (angle formed by the rib and the butt - close to 90 degrees) has been corrected/changed.

How tall are you (and if you don't mind, what do you weigh)?

If your gun doesn't fit you, do not despair. Stock dimensions can be changed by your husband or just about any gunsmith. (The pitch will almost certainly need to be changed.)

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:45 am 
Utility Grade

I am 5'5" and weigh about 180lbs. I am also into powerlifting. My husband needs to get the butt shortened on one of his rifles, so when he takes his in I will take my M12 in as well to see what the armourer thinks about the fit.

I am also looking for a sling for it as well. One without swivels and that is nice as well. I know it will take a while to find one. Purchased a shooting vest yesterday as well, next are the clays and then to see how I do with a moving target.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good idea. Be sure to also have the pitch on the stock corrected when it is shortened, so the entire recoil pad or butt plate (top to bottom) makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder as the gun is being mounted.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome Bentley and congrats! Rollin will always give you good advice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:21 am 
Utility Grade

Feeling of being excited is normal when having first shotgun. Because I also feel the same after having been purchase my shotgun. Me and my friends went outdoors for hunting I can't imagine myself when I shoot a wild animal.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:40 pm 
Utility Grade

What did you name your shotgun ? I started calling my mossberg 500 mossy. I even wrote her a love poem for her lol