ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shooting vest for wife
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:43 am 
Presentation Grade

Ladies,
I am looking for a shooting vest for my wife who has just started shooting sporting clays. I looked at Mizmac vests and they look like they would work, but I am not sure if they come with the gel insert for recoil. Beretta makes a women's vest with the gel pad and at this point, that is what I'm leaning towards.
Please let me know what has worked for you, and possibly where you bought it.
thanks-Gofer

Post subject: Re: Shooting vest for wife
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gofer,

Go to Amazon - http://www.amazon.com. Type in "women's shooting vest." You will find a number of them shown. A problematic thing about Amazon is that it is difficult or impossible to contact sellers to get answers to your questions.

One of many good things about Amazon is that you can return almost anything within the first thirty days. Their prices are also virtually impossible to beat.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Shoot the Moon (stmgear.com) they have styles on their website. They will custom fit and make any shooting vest you want. they even have an option where you can send them the material you want used and they will make your vest!

Give them a try!

The founding fathers of America were not career politicians. They were the outlaws; the "angry extremists" who refused to quietly submit to an elite political establishment's oppressive rule over their lives.

NEVER forget that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

+1 for Beretta. They make very good quality vests.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I got mine from here: http://www.mizmac.com/product/MIZ-RD-WMV-
It's a good vest for the money, nice and light in the Summer and stretchy enough to add an extra sweater in the winter. The pad on this vest is all right, but I actually was able to add an extra recoil gel pad from beretta to the inside mesh and now I can go amd shoot 150 shells no problem :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:52 pm 
Limited Edition

My wife and daughter both use and like the Beretta ladies vest. The only thing they don't like is that it doesn't have a dedicated "alibi" shell holder. My son and I use the men's Beretta vest and it has a pocket with holders for 5 shells. Otherwise it is an outstanding vest.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:54 am 
Diamond Grade

Just bought my wife a browning vest, it's nice, since you can add a gel like pad for the shoulder...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:43 am 
Crown Grade

There have been a couple of good threads here in the past on SGW with a lot of photos, including some I've posted. I'll try to find that and post a link. (I'm not one of those pricks that will just post "Use the search feature", because a lot of new folks dont know about it, and it actually is kind of tricky to use on here. In fact, I get better results using a general web search engine, typing in "best ladies shooting vest" or similar, and often the results includes the thread on SGW I was looking for in the first place!)

I have a wife that sometimes shoots as well as a daughter, so I have done this before, and here's the ones I recommend in no real order:

Filson
Browning
Shoot the Moon
Beretta
Orvis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Here's a couple of quick links as I need to get out of the house in just a minute on a few errands:

viewtopic.php?t=104360

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
Filson makes an awesome women's shooting vest, in either regular dry finish Tin Cloth fabric or Mesh with moleskin yoke. The non-mesh version is $50 off right now, These are a little pricey but very well made, as are all Filson products, and made in the U.S.A. as well:

http://www.filson.com/products/women-s-mesh-shooting-vest.20041.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=activity/shooting/womens&fmetaProduct=aa1310

http://www.filson.com/products/women-s-mesh-shooting-vest.20041.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=activity/shooting/womens&fmetaProduct=aa1310

Current Women's Vest from Orvis:

Clay Shooting USA article on some choices:
http://www.clayshootingusa.com/html/archive/jun_jul10/Fashion,%20Fit%20and%20Fun.pdf

A few Browning Ladies Vests:
http://www.nicashooting.com/Browning-Vest-s/1924.htm

By the way, a lot of women, including the one's in my house, do NOT want pink shooting gear. Some like pink, but many do not so don't assume anything there!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

I will ditto the "Shoot The Moon" products. They allow you to make custom measurements like hips, true waist, chest, length to bottom of butt from collar and length to true waist from collar.... This makes them fit as they should.

I have used these for my male and female team shooters and would not purchase anything else. This is a custom garment not an off the rack one size fits all fit.

Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice looking post VThokies, that grey Orvis is nice -i may look into that for my girl...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:36 pm 
Field Grade

My wife uses the recoil pad that goes in front to the bra strap.
She says vests are too hot in the summer.
She is thinking about a 1/2 vest instead of the shell bag she has though.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I cannot say enough great things about Shoot The Moon. They made a custom vest for my wife that is stylish and fits her to a tee. Off the rack would never have fit. They made my vest as well...we are 2 years in to both of them and have been great. You will be talking to a woman when you order yours and she will take care of your specific needs. I've owned dozens of vests over the years and they are my fav
August

Austin Texas
e- [email protected]
www.augustguns.com
ph 512-567-7855
Auth Dealer for Caesar Guerini, Fabarms, Syren, Blaser and more

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

STM is the best option, expecially for the price. Unlimited options on "look" if you're willing to find the fabric, and most importantly wait. If you go STM, make sure to have them add the drawstring waist. It helps keep vest from riding up.

Mizmax is a great choice, especially when they do the combo in vest/half vest. My wife loves her Purple Mizmac. MM customer service is super. We had a zipper fail (and they took the vest back and sewed it good as new).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Another vote for Shoot the Moon.

My wife had been thru a couple others that either didn't fit quite right or showed wear after not a lot of use. I called STM and told them what sizes she wore and they suggested a size with a few tweaks to get a better fit...and it did. Much better than some initial fittings I've had for a tailor made suit!

It came with an inside pocket for an additional pad but so far, she's been happy with the sewn in padding and hasn't used the pad I'd ordered with the vest.

Happy wife, happy life! :D

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Something that I believe is important regarding vests: a vest for either men or women with the belt at a level that keeps the shoulders of the vest snug and at the same time, snugs on the hips.

This allows the weight of the shells to be born by the belt/hips and not the shoulders.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:23 pm 
Crown Grade

2 year old thread. Just make sure the vest will accept either Browning Reactor pads or Beretta GelTek pads.

Plus I think in most parts of the country you want at least the back to be mesh. Or both front and back. You can always put some fleece on beneath in cold months.

And there's a WIDE range of vests that Browning and Beretta make. Some are kind of cheap. It's hard to beat the nicer ones they offer though unless you want a custom one like Shoot the Moon.

Some of the cheaper vests will ACCEPT a pad, but don't come with the gel type pad. Factor that in if you're buying one.

I think the Beretta Two Tone is a great vest for the money, and comes with the pad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have three vests I rarely, if ever, use. I bought a browning but, it was to big under the armpits. I bought the Beretta vest and I used that one the most. Then I bought a Guerini Syren vest, it runs short.

I have finally gone to wearing a belt and pouch with a double pocket. Much more comfortable than a vest. If you go this route make sure it doesn't have a long attachment that hangs from the belt. It makes it awkward to reach shells. I like the double pouch for empties.

In my mind, gel pads are a total waste of time. If the gun fits, you don't need a gel pad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

My favorite vest is a Shoot the Moon vest. It is high quality and looks and fits great. They know how to cut a vest to fit women. Miz Mac also makes decent women's vests as does Browning.

The Beretta vests are high quality, but they don't fit me. They seem to be cut for women without curves, so I'd have to get one that is tight in the bust and hips in order to get close to a decent fit.

I recommend trying on different vests to see what feels and looks the best on you, if at all possible.

Ellen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Love the purple Syren vests. I bought one for my wife and she loved it too. The contrast stitching is a nice touch. I've heard some people say they prefer leather over suede for the pad but the suede is very soft and smooth. Feels premium to me, no complaints. Available in black too. It's European sizing (made by Castellani in Italy) so maybe go one size extra if your want a longer fit.

https://syrenusa.com/product-category/shooting-vests/