ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sporting Clays Gun for Woman
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hey guys, my girlfriend is interested in getting a sporting clays gun for Christmas. She is 5'4" and 115lbs - she is little! I have a Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting 32" and it is just way to big and heavy for someone her size.

As far as budget goes, I would say we have around $1200 to spend. Although this could possibly be increased.

I see Browning has a nice Gold Ladies Sporting Clays shotgun for a decent price.

I know enough about shotguns now that I think I would be comfortable buying a shotgun used off Gunbroker, etc...however if we can get by with something new that would be more convenient.

Post subject: Re: Sporting Clays Gun for Woman
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

My wife shoots a Franchi Affinity Compact. It fits her well, and it was an easy buy at $700. If I remember correctly, she is 5'3" and 125 lbs.

Our only complaint is that the bolt pattern for the recoil pad is not standard, and we haven't been able to find any aftermarket alternatives (Kick-Eez, Limbsaver, etc).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Anyone know anything about the Browning Gold Ladies shotgun?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

CC268 wrote:
Anyone know anything about the Browning Gold Ladies shotgun?

A friend had one that his daughter shot very well. With some tweaking, he got it to shoot the 980fps Winchester featherlites and suited her very well.

The Gold line is no longer being produced in 12 gauge. My buddy moved his (now adult) daughter up to a Maxxus and then a Syren.

-- Zig Ziglar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:20 am 
Utility Grade

My wife have had also her shotgun which was given by me just recently. I give her as a form of a gift for our 3rd wedding anniversary.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

i recently purchased a Winchester SX3 COMPACT 20ga. for my daugheter, 13" LOP. the COMPACT has shorter LOP than the regular (14"or 14.25")

my daughter is 5'4" 105lb

she like the weight balance point over my wifes beretta SP1

my daughter is using regular target loads and had no complaints what so ever as far as perceived recoil

can be purchased right around $1,000

the Winchester sx3 compact is basically the same as the browning silver micro

comes in several configurations
12ga or 20ga
24"-28" barrel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just purchased an A400 RL Parallel. It has a shorter LOP and fits very well. I am 5'6" and 125-130. I am not big, but bigger than your daughter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

It was for my girlfriend not my daughter haha...I hope I don't have a daughter at 21...

Anyways we got her a winchester sx3 which fit her very well and was at a good price point

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:02 pm 
Limited Edition

CC268 wrote:
It was for my girlfriend not my daughter haha...I hope I don't have a daughter at 21...

Anyways we got her a winchester sx3 which fit her very well and was at a good price point

Boy I sure I did at 21, and now she's about to blow through college and into med school, but not before winning every scholarship and award along the way. It's not for everyone, but if you're in a hurry, I recommend it. I left home at twelve and grew up too fast, but now I'm 41 with two high achieving kids practically raised, and wondering what's next. More shooting, that's for sure, and bird hunting. And something for money. How much land do I need to start a preserve?

Glad she got a gun.... Don't piss her off ;) I guess I'm still around after these 20 frenetic years because none of the ladies in my house have had a lick of interest in shooting anything at all, and being farm gals, are too practical to make such a mess anyhow.

Quick glimpse into fatherhood at 21..... Loco

cheers

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What are the height and weight of you and your girlfriend? That will tell us if either of you will have a fit issue, especially concerning your girlfriend and if the gun might need to be fitted to either of you by a stock fitter in your area (if there is one).

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

CC268: Check out the Syren XLR5 Velocity for Women. I'm not sure what you had in mind but it's a semi-auto that is close to, yet just above your price point at $1995. It comes with a 5 year warranty and has this Triwood finish that makes it look like a gun that costs 3 times the price! I've heard nothing but positive reviews about the Syren line of shotguns by Women shooters I've met at events. It's worth checking out. http://syrenusa.com/syren-xlr5-sporting/

Although of their line I have to say the Magnus is a beauty! Though it's their top tier offering at $5,500! I just like the look of an Over/Under myself and that one is gorgeous. Plus if you can afford it, the Lifetime warranty on the Guerini models is hard to beat. http://syrenusa.com/syren-magnus-sporting/ I know it's a bit out of your range but it's still fun to look at. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here is my 2 cents and this applies to both men and women. As long as you are buying a reputable brand gun I dont think the gun matters its all about the fit anyone can shoot any gun as long as it is properly fitted to the person. My better half is probably about the same hight and weight as your girlfriend and she shoots a 8-9lbs blaser. The weight of a gun she will get use too (takes a while but trust me she will) and actually like it in the long run as it sucks up recoil and an 8-9lbs gun swings alot smoother than a 6lbs gun. The fitment on the other must be perfect. First thing we did with her blaser was take it to S&S Plus and spent almost a full day having them fit the gun, trim the stock, play around with the comb, alot of time at the patterning board and on the clay course, etc.

I do this with all my guns now and i think it is one of the most important things to do that alot of people over look.

Your a400 is a great gun, very reliable, well built, etc but if it is factory dimensions it is probably a not a very good gun for her. Now if you had the stock fitted to her it would be the perfect gun for her. So really any gun would work for her as long as it fits.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My primary gun is a CG Syren. Out of the box, the gun was close but the Monte Carlo stock was not high enough for me. I dinked around with a gel pad for awhile, but finally just had the comb cut and now the gun fits me very well. I still cant the gun a bit with the lower barrel slightly to the right. That is fixed with a little palm swell pressure (thanks coach). For me gun fit is absolutely imperative. My eyes are dual dominant and if I don't have the fit spot on, I have a hard time with visual picture. My left eye will take over and I find I am seeing the left side of the barrel instead of down the rib in my peripheral. It is a very very confusing picture. Many women are dual dominant even though they test mostly right. Gun fit is very important.

I got an A400 parallel target for a semi auto option. It is the first gun I have ever purchased that is pretty darn close to a perfect fit out of the box. My husband with his shorter neck has to float the target to make it work for him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:16 pm 
Field Grade

My wife loves her Syren.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

Check your pm...