ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Syren Tempio
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Below is a reprint of the post I made yesterday on the "I Love Caesar Guerini" topic board. I thought it might be helpful to share it with this topic board. MAJ

The weather finally cleared and I found a shooting partner in my friend, Hugh, so me and the Syren Tempio, otherwise known as my new BFF went out today to turn her into a used gun. I shoot sporting clays at Elm Fork, usually on the Meadows Course, because the sun will be behind me for afternoon shooting. Scott Robertson, who knows a thing or two about sporting clays, owns Elm Fork and sets the targets, and he currently has the Meadows set up as a "super sporting" course. Me and the BFF stepped onto the first station and broke seven out of eight, and I consistently did better on each station than I have in the past.

I'm glad I went for the 28" instead of the 30", because this gun handles so well I don't think I sacrificed much in performance, and if I did, I more than made up for it in the reduced weight and ease of handling. I tend to name my guns, and the name for this one came to me while shooting. Unfortunately, Curley would probably give me a severe talking to if I said it here.

I've not shot a gun without a Bumpbuster in a long time, I was a little worried about shooting a 12 gauge with nothing but a hard rubber pad, so I took two kinds of shells, Remington Gun Club 1 1/8 oz,1200 fps and Mirage Featherlite 1 oz, 1150 fps. There was not a significant difference in felt recoil on the shoulder with the different loads, but I could tell a difference as to the recoil on my pistol grip hand.

The grip and the much shorter distance between the grip and the trigger takes a little getting used to; I'm more used to having to twist my hand around a little to reach the trigger, but with the Syren I can put my right hand more squarely on the pistol grip. It is like the difference between holding a large frame revolver and a small frame revolver.

Given that the recoil was not a problem, that I like the LOP as it is, and that I really don't want to cut the stock, I doubt if I'll get a Bumpbuster on this gun. I may instead switch the hard rubber out for a Kickeze, but I'm in no rush to do so. I want to put several hundred more rounds though it before I make any changes.

As I said in my earlier post, the gun shoulders like a dream, and I can now tell you that it shoots like one too. As I was fading toward the end of the afternoon and have I've vowed not to keep shooting when I'm tired just because I still have shells left in my bag, I handed the last four shells and the new BFF to Hugh for him to give it a try. Hugh, who is now the happy owner of my old Ascent, was amazed at how light it was in comparison to the Ascent, and how well it shot. He hit three out of four on some wickedly difficult targets.

A lovely, slightly cool, sunny afternoon, a good shooting companion, a fine gun and many broken targets. What's not to love? Mary Ann

Post subject: Re: Syren Tempio
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mary Ann, I am so glad your BFF finally arrived and you love it as much as I do. The Monte Carlo stock is a bit low for me but, for now I have added a soft pad to give it some height. I find the swing in this shotgun very nice and the balance feels perfect. I also find the gun to be a soft shooter with Clever 1 ounce shells. It has kicked me a couple of times, but I am bony shouldered and my vest is too big. I am going to order a smaller vest.

All in all, I agree with everything you have said. I really love this shotgun. I got the 30" barrel, but I agree that it is a personal decision and I would not have a problem owning a 28" barrel either. I think the difference is negligible.

Congratulations. I am glad you got your new best friend.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have reached the age where I avoid going outside in a Dallas summer because I'm afraid I'll either melt or get steamed cooked. It finally cooled off and I shot for the first time since early June, three outings in six days, all at Elm Fork; two charity shoots (Scottish Rite and Boy Scouts) and out with my friend James. All three outings confirmed my belief that the Syren is the gun for me. Some of the best scores I've ever shot and more importantly with my out-of-the-box gun, not a sign of bruising or soreness. On the third outing, the day after the Boy Scout shoot, I did the best first six stations I've ever shot. Admittedly I should have stopped then before fatigue and the setting sun got the best of me, but I came home very proud of myself and the gun named The Slutty Girl! Mary Ann

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Aaaghhhh...... Don't tell me this Mary Ann!!! We are looking at Texas to retire out of this ridiculous state od crazy California. I was hoping to enjoy shooting in the great state!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Savannah wrote:
Aaaghhhh...... Don't tell me this Mary Ann!!! We are looking at Texas to retire out of this ridiculous state od crazy California. I was hoping to enjoy shooting in the great state!

I have tons of friends who shoot all through the summer, it just isn't for me who turns into a walking water puddle by the end of a round. I just don't enjoy it and I'm exhausted by the end of a round. Until they invent indoor sporting clays, October through mid-June is fine for me! MAJ