ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Syren Tempio- 12 gauge vs 20
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:41 pm 
Field Grade

I'm contemplating a Syren and wanted the opinions of women who have shot both gauges of the Tempio Sporting (or Magnus). The 12 gauge is around 8 pounds which is a bit heavy for me. I know, I know- I keep hearing about training with weights, etc and pretty soon you won't notice, etc. But, I had a heavy 12 gauge (another ladies model) which I shot well with- but found difficult to get through a round of sporting Clays without feeling fatigued. It was just under 8 pounds-but it was a semi as opposed to the Syren o/u.
The 20 gauge is about 1/2 pound lighter which may be easier for me to manage- but is there a lot more felt recoil? And if I'm shooting 7/8 ounce loads in both-is there really much difference in breaking clays? I really love my 28 gauge gun, but everyone is always telling me I should go back to a 12 or 20. :roll:

Last edited by BunnyH on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Syren Tempio- 12 gauge vs 20
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a 20 gauge 30 inch barrel CG Summit Ltd. but wanted something a little heftier for sporting clays. I had a 12 gauge 30 inch barrel Summit Ascent, but it was way too heavy, so I sold it to my friend Hugh and got a 12 gauge Syren Tempio but with a 28 inch instead of a 30 inch barrel. Like Goldilocks, I have found the one that is just right. I can carry the weight through a full course without dying. I'd recommend getting a 12 gauge over a 20, simply because it is more versatile, it full 12 gauge loads bother you, just shoot a lighter load. Whichever you chose, you are going to enjoy it, the Syrens are lovely guns. Mary Ann

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:43 am 
Field Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
I have a 20 gauge 30 inch barrel CG Summit Ltd. but wanted something a little heftier for sporting clays. I had a 12 gauge 30 inch barrel Summit Ascent, but it was way too heavy, so I sold it to my friend Hugh and got a 12 gauge Syren Tempio but with a 28 inch instead of a 30 inch barrel. Like Goldilocks, I have found the one that is just right. I can carry the weight through a full course without dying. I'd recommend getting a 12 gauge over a 20, simply because it is more versatile, it full 12 gauge loads bother you, just shoot a lighter load. Whichever you chose, you are going to enjoy it, the Syrens are lovely guns. Mary Ann

thanks, Mary Ann. It is really more the weight of the 12 that I'm concerned about. Previously broken left wrist did not heal correctly and has left it weak making it difficult to hold up a heavy gun. I'm going to shoot the 12 gauge today and see if it's even a possibility. It's a 30 inch barrel, but like you, I'd want a 28".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

thanks, Mary Ann. It is really more the weight of the 12 that I'm concerned about. Previously broken left wrist did not heal correctly and has left it weak making it difficult to hold up a heavy gun. I'm going to shoot the 12 gauge today and see if it's even a possibility. It's a 30 inch barrel, but like you, I'd want a 28".[/quote]

The difference in the 28 inch barrel 12 gauge and 20 gauge is 8 ounces. Half a pound over a 100 shot course, two shots per each shoulder of the gun, works out to 25 pounds of extra lift over the course. At one time I would have thought that was a silly concern, but that is about the difference between my old 30" Ascent and the 28" Syren Tiempo. It does make a difference. I'll leave it to folks more knowledgeable than I to comment on how much the fatigue factor increases/decreases depending on which hand supports the weight. MAJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:08 pm 
Field Grade

The difference in the 28 inch barrel 12 gauge and 20 gauge is 8 ounces. Half a pound over a 100 shot course, two shots per each shoulder of the gun, works out to 25 pounds of extra lift over the course. At one time I would have thought that was a silly concern, but that is about the difference between my old 30" Ascent and the 28" Syren Tiempo. It does make a difference. I'll leave it to folks more knowledgeable than I to comment on how much the fatigue factor increases/decreases depending on which hand supports the weight. MAJ[/quote]

Mary Ann- that's such an interesting way to look at it.!!

I did shoot the 12 gauge Tempio with the 30" barrel this past weekend. Although weight did not seem to be an issue at first, after several stations it got to be too much for my wrist to handle. I had a wonderful conversation with Anne Mauro (VP of Syren) this morning (what a lovely lady!!) who gave me some tips and suggestions to possibly lessen the strain on my wrist. She also suggested I wait to purchase a gun until I can demo some of the other gauges and models. Hopefully, that is something that can be arranged this Fall.

I will say I was very impressed with the Tempio. No felt recoil, balanced well, beautiful fit and finish, nice small pistol grip- LOP was still too long for my short arms, so the stock would need to be adjusted for me, but i really liked it otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

" I did shoot the 12 gauge Tempio with the 30" barrel this past weekend. Although weight did not seem to be an issue at first, after several stations it got to be too much for my wrist to handle. I had a wonderful conversation with Anne Mauro (VP of Syren) this morning (what a lovely lady!!) who gave me some tips and suggestions to possibly lessen the strain on my wrist. She also suggested I wait to purchase a gun until I can demo some of the other gauges and models. Hopefully, that is something that can be arranged this Fall.

I will say I was very impressed with the Tempio. No felt recoil, balanced well, beautiful fit and finish, nice small pistol grip- LOP was still too long for my short arms, so the stock would need to be adjusted for me, but i really liked it otherwise."

Ann Mauro is great, and very committed to promoting shotgunning for women. One of the things I thought about before I bought the Syren was getting a field gun, which is lighter. But I got the Syren and could not have been more pleased. I know I could have gotten a semi-automatic, but they are simply not elegant, and style points do count. MAJ