It is currently Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: looking into guns
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:08 am 
Utility Grade

My wife and I are fairly new to clay shooting. Is there a model that you would suggest for a lady who is roughly 5 foot 8 inches 135 lbs?

Post subject: Re: looking into guns
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some more info would be helpful. Does she want an over/under or a semi-automatic? What is your price range? What gauge? MAJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Click on the link to go to something that will help you choose the right gun:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=286474

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition" explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bib ... 1451570384

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Wow! That was a quick thread. I'm also looking for a sporting gun for my wife. She currently shoots trap and likes her BT99. When we were finally able to convince her to try sporting, she really liked it! Anyway she wants an over under. She's 5'.3" and muscular. She handled our Stoeger(loaner) 12/28" for 50 rounds and my son's Citory 12/30" for 70 rounds without any trouble. Clearly, the guns were sloppy fitting, but we had to get her hooked.

I've found the Syren/Guerini/Fabarm, Browning CX micro, CZ Lady Sterling, SKB 90TSS, Blazer F3 and Perozzi lady/youth model break action shotguns.
So far, I've only been able to physically locate Syren Elos $2500 and Guerini Tempio $3700.
Of the two, the Guerini was much more to her liking, balance, fit/finish and adjustable comb, the Elos lacking balance (with it's 30" barrels . . . Really? for ladies?) and lack of adjustable comb. Although, we didn't like the "crunchy" action on the CG.

I'm willing to shell out the gelt, but I feel we owe it to ourselves to check out the others which are all less than HALF the CG. We're not considering the Blazer or the Perazzi. $10000 is just too many zeros for us. We're trying to keep it under $4000.

If anyone has anything to add, I'd appreciate the information.
Thanks in Advance
TomJV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

TomJV wrote:
Wow! That was a quick thread. I'm also looking for a sporting gun for my wife. She currently shoots trap and likes her BT99. When we were finally able to convince her to try sporting, she really liked it! Anyway she wants an over under. She's 5'.3" and muscular. She handled our Stoeger(loaner) 12/28" for 50 rounds and my son's Citory 12/30" for 70 rounds without any trouble. Clearly, the guns were sloppy fitting, but we had to get her hooked.

I've found the Syren/Guerini/Fabarm, Browning CX micro, CZ Lady Sterling, SKB 90TSS, Blazer F3 and Perozzi lady/youth model break action shotguns.
So far, I've only been able to physically locate Syren Elos $2500 and Guerini Tempio $3700.
Of the two, the Guerini was much more to her liking, balance, fit/finish and adjustable comb, the Elos lacking balance (with it's 30" barrels . . . Really? for ladies?) and lack of adjustable comb. Although, we didn't like the "crunchy" action on the CG.

I'm willing to shell out the gelt, but I feel we owe it to ourselves to check out the others which are all less than HALF the CG. We're not considering the Blazer or the Perazzi. $10000 is just too many zeros for us. We're trying to keep it under $4000.

If anyone has anything to add, I'd appreciate the information.
Thanks in Advance
TomJV

Most women I know shoot 30" O/Us in sporting clays. I'm one of the few I know who shoot a 28", but that's because I'm old and feeble. There lots of well-made guns, but the only good gun for her is one that fits her. If you are near a gun store, such as Cole's, that carries higher end guns, she should go there and shoulder them. If go to a big shoot where there are dealers on the ground and test drive the guns. A few hundred dollars investment in travel will pay off. MAJ