It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low cost lady specific shotguns
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:33 pm 
Field Grade

What options are out there for lady specific shotguns in a light 20 ga?
My wife is pretty small, so far we jave her shooting an 870 youth 20ga and we still had to shorten the lop and pit a nice recoil pad on it for her. Its not perfect for fit as you can imagine but i really didnt see much out there for options. The syren stuff looks very nice but is way above what i would be willing to spend. The affinity catalyst is only available in a 12 ga. Am i missing any options or are the choices really this limited?

Post subject: Re: Low cost lady specific shotguns
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:59 am 
Crown Grade

The Browning Silver Micro Midas might be a good choice in 20 gauge.

Great gun, soft shooter, with some careful shopping can be found for around $1000.

Or a Winchester SX3, or a Remington 1100 Sporting in 20 gauge.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought, through Bud's Gun, a TriStar Viper two stock Youth Model for a great price. (He sells these type guns at around Straight Wholesale). My primary reason was so that my daughter could shoot with it. It has a shorter barrel and stock as a youth model, but includes an additional full size butt stock along with a barrel extension, which is like a choke as it screws into the barrel like a choke, extends the barrel 2 inches or so longer and then allows a choke tube to be screwed into it. With an extended choke and the extension, I can use the gun as a lender or a rain gun as the stock is synthetic in addition to being an inexpensive gun.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Boyds gunstocks has the american plainsmen stock I think it is. I got it for my wife. It is essentially a trap stock. It has a high comb and shorter reach to trigger. I had it cut to adjust pitch and LOP. It is not perfect, but it close to a ladies cut. I put it on an 870 20 ga 26". Took months for it to arrive though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

how short of a LOP is she shooting now? anything less than about 13 1/2 and most semi autos are out. at least that is it in the Remington 12 gauge you might get 13 in a 20 gauge. pumps and over under guns you just need to balance the weight of the barrels once you cut it. browning has the CXS coming soon in 20ga that should be around $1800 and in 28 inch barrels is 6 lbs 10 oz.
honestly a 12 gauge can do anything a 20 gauge can. 12 gauge 7/8 oz load is the same recoil as a 20 gauge 7/8 oz load. my wife shoots a 12 gauge with 7/8 oz loads with no issues. the better the fit the less you feel recoil. so if the catalyst is a good fit go for it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:21 pm 
Crown Grade

It is only in the past few years that we have seen "lady specific shotguns"
In my opinion, after being a Coach and instuctor over the last 17 years, "Lady Specific Shotguns" is mostly a marketing ploy. Remember when we were convinced that we had to have ported Bbls?
I have some and I wish I didn't.
How about a "person specific shotgun?"
If you wife has a well developed gun-mount, I would encourage you to seek the assistance of a NSCA qualified coach knowledgeable in gunfitting, prior to making any decision on a gun purchase based on gender specific models.

NSCA Level II Instructor
CSM/TRACS Certified Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cfoster wrote:
It is only in the past few years that we have seen "lady specific shotguns"
In my opinion, after being a Coach and instuctor over the last 17 years, "Lady Specific Shotguns" is mostly a marketing ploy. Remember when we were convinced that we had to have ported Bbls?
I have some and I wish I didn't.
How about a "person specific shotgun?"
If you wife has a well developed gun-mount, I would encourage you to seek the assistance of a NSCA qualified coach knowledgeable in gunfitting, prior to making any decision on a gun purchase based on gender specific models.

Maybe because women are the biggest group of new shotgun shooters and there is a market for guns that fit them? As a woman who shoots what you describe as a "lady specific shotgun," ("LASS?") I disagree with you that a LASS is just a gimmick, as do my friends who also shoot one. The LASS I shoot has a shorter distance from stock hand to trigger, narrower throat, and shorter stock. It is a gun 5'6" me could shoot out of the box without having to get the stock cut and fits so well I didn't need to install an aftermarket recoil pad. I think that if you routinely had to shoot a gun that didn't fit you without a couple of hundred dollars worth of additional work, you would appreciate having a gun that takes your physiology into account.

As to "person specific" ("PESS?"), it has been around for years in the traditional shotgun designed for a 5'10" man. But for the non-5"10" guy, Caesar Guerini has already gotten there. CG sells the Summit Compact, which has the exact dimensions as the Syren. Why? Because a bunch of shorter guys liked the Syren but didn't want to shoot a gun with roses on it. So the only difference between the Syren and the Compact is CG switched out roses for birds.

Now I do not doubt that there are manufacturers who are trying to climb on the LASS bandwagon without doing the work. But CG put thought and effort into giving me and my friends a gun we can shoot out of the box, and we appreciate it.

And of course women, in fact any shooter, should try a number of guns before they cough up a significant amount of cash for a gun. Who wants to be disappointed in the fit of their gun? MAJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:23 am 
Tournament Grade

Rizzini I believe has a line tailored to lady shooters as well.
Every person is different though. For instance, when my daughter wanted to step up from a 391, we tried the Syren line, it did not fit her at all. Best fit for her ended being a Zoli Mid-Rib. Best bet is to try as many different shotguns at your price point and see what works best.

Mid-Valley Clays & Shooting School

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

737Mech wrote:
Best bet is to try as many different shotguns at your price point and see what works best.

That's what I said, "And of course women, in fact any shooter, should try a number of guns before they cough up a significant amount of cash for a gun. Who wants to be disappointed in the fit of their gun?"

I did a post a couple of months ago about the road trip my friends Susan, Melanie and I made to the NSCA championship in San Antonio so that Susan could test guns and speak to manufacturers' reps before buying. After trying the Syren, Kolar and Zoli, she picked the Syren. As with a car, it's silly to buy a gun without giving it a test drive. MAJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:32 am 
Tournament Grade

MAJENKINS wrote:
737Mech wrote:
Best bet is to try as many different shotguns at your price point and see what works best.

That's what I said, "And of course women, in fact any shooter, should try a number of guns before they cough up a significant amount of cash for a gun. Who wants to be disappointed in the fit of their gun?"

I did a post a couple of months ago about the road trip my friends Susan, Melanie and I made to the NSCA championship in San Antonio so that Susan could test guns and speak to manufacturers' reps before buying. After trying the Syren, Kolar and Zoli, she picked the Syren. As with a car, it's silly to buy a gun without giving it a test drive. MAJ

I remember that road trip post! That "mansplained" comment about Zoli was spot on.

Mid-Valley Clays & Shooting School

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

i know the stock length and DAC and DAH on the CG summit compact are the same as the Syren but the radius of the grip on the Syren is smaller. i have not seen the summit compact does it have the smaller grip as well?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

migunshooter wrote:
i know the stock length and DAC and DAH on the CG summit compact are the same as the Syren but the radius of the grip on the Syren is smaller. i have not seen the summit compact does it have the smaller grip as well?

The grip dimensions aren't on the spec page, but it is my understanding from my conversation with the rep that the guns are identical except for the engraving. As I recall, the Compact costs a few hundred dollars less.

UPDATE: A friend just got the Summit Compact. The forend is a Schnabel where the Syren's forend is rounded. That was the only non-cosmetic difference I could tell. MAJ

Last edited by MAJENKINS on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

737Mech wrote:
MAJENKINS wrote:
737Mech wrote:

I remember that road trip post! That "mansplained" comment about Zoli was spot on.

Susan's still bitter about the speeding ticket. MAJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a Syren and love it, but, I also love my Beretta A400 parallel target RL. The Beretta is a soft shooting gun with K/O and is a perfect mid price range gun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:22 am 
Limited Edition

Lady specific guns are guns that have the dimensions of one person, there for it only fits those with the same body type.
My wife just went through getting fit for her A-400, $215 and worth every penny! I believe in most cases there is more to it than an adjustable butt plate. Go to your local club and talk with some women shooters. Don't skimp on getting a gun fitting. The key is a competent fitter.

Welcome to the club. If auto don't be afraid of a 12 ga with 7/8oz loads. If the gun fits 12 ga isn't going to be an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, but the LASSes are more likely to fit out of the box and require less adjustment. On three previous shot guns I had to get several inches cut off the stock, which usually included the entire drop at heel, necessitating buying an adjustable butt plate.

And if you want your wife, daughter, etc. to enjoy shooting and maintain interest in the sport, remember that a well-fitted, comfortable gun goes a long way to that enjoyment. Why would you spend on her gun less than you would spend on yourself? Ultimately, if you shoot even a moderate amount, the gun that fits and that you enjoy shooting will be the least expensive expenditure in your pursuit of the sport. MAJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:21 am 
Limited Edition

My wife shot four guns prior to her getting the A-400. They include the Syren, Benelli, A-400 and one other that escapes my mind. The Syren and Benelli's and other didn't feel as good as the A-400 so that's what she got. About five or six months of getting use to shooting and they went to Ken Rucker's. 3 wks later, one week ahead of schedule she went back to Ken's and couldn't be happier.
Now it's a matter of shooting and fine tuning her style.
I still feel strongly in having your wife get involved with some women shooters and a professional gun fitter. This will provide you both with personal experiences that you won't regret.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:50 am 
Limited Edition

One of the 22 rules for life:

#4 Always buy the best and most beautiful item for your spouse. The key goal is to enjoy your money with your spouse.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Texas Yankee wrote:
One of the 22 rules for life:

#4 Always buy the best and most beautiful item for your spouse. The key goal is to enjoy your money with your spouse.

Which is just another way of showing respect. Good man. MAJ