ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Syren Tempio Sporting Review (20ga/30")
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Hi all,

Dropping in here to report on my wife's 20 Gauge Syren Tempio Sporting with 30" barrels.

BACKGROUND
Just a bit of background, we are fairly new to shooting Sporting Clays and we both have really taken to it and enjoy it a ton. As you might be able to tell from some of my other posts, we did a ton of research for her, beginning with shooting everything from a Beretta 28ga to Syren/Fabarm 12ga semi and just about everything in between but mostly 12/20 Fabarms and CGs. Based on her experience, she and I decided that a women's specific 20ga would be the best option for her. She can handle a 12 and recoil wasn't an issue, but the weight of lifting a 8.5lb gun 100 times was a bit much for her by the end of a round. She's 5'5" and I'd say about average all around with respect to her body size.

REVIEW
Absolutely a-ma-zing gun. We were able to find a lightly used pre-owned which is a miracle in and of itself and it fit her to a T out of the box. Syren pretty much started the women specific movement, at least in earnest and not just a sized down youth gun or whatever. Women have different needs for a whole host of reasons and Syren knows what the heck they are doing. Grip length or reach was spot on for her smaller palm and finger length. Drop at comb was right on for her as well as LOP.

She was shooting better and happier than I have ever seen her since we started shooting. 20 ga is such a sweet spot, enough power to hit anything, but light and easy to swing with little to no felt recoil on 7/8oz #8. She LOVES it. She mounts it easily, shoots it easily, and can really focus on the game now and not the gun. That was the biggest difference. The gun is an afterthought, no more tweaking, no more trying to mount it right, no more heaving to get it up. She just mounted, shot and started talking to me about where she should be leading targets and can she try this or that again so she can get the sight picture and what not. It actually made MY day to see her so happy with it.

I shot it at both the beginning and end of our round for fun (It's LOP is much too short for me) so I got just 8 shots out of it but went 8 for 8 and found it just a joy to shoot. Very nice balance and pointability and since it is such an easy swing, it's easy to correct for a new shooter. I want a 20ga now and maybe even a CG summit sporting as they are essentially the same gun (that said I was shooting a CG Invictus so CG guns are good to us.) Hope to get some more time with her gun and I'll give try to give an update as she and I get more shots out of it.

FINAL NOTE
I want to mention that she shot a Fabarm ELOS D2 20ga 30" and that gun was a mess for her yet on paper they are very similar (CG owns Fabarm). She (IMHO correctly) identified that this was because it was a man's gun and it just didn't fit right. She also shot a Syren 28ga 28" and that went a long way in getting us to her gun as she realized women's specific guns are they only way to go for her.

That said, the one thing that my wife mentioned that I put in ANY review of her gun was this -- "Ladies DO NOT listen to some old grumpy gun guy tell you it's not the gun and that you are recoil sensitive or fragile or whatever misogynistic excuse they come up with. It is TOTALLY the gun. Get a gun that fits YOU right and can get the job done!"

Post subject: Re: Syren Tempio Sporting Review (20ga/30")
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Outstanding report of your and your wife's journey to her gun! Thank you and good shooting, Mary Ann

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just a quick update. Wife shot the Syren along with her sister over the weekend. We practiced at the wobble trap and also did around of Sporting Clays. Probably put about 250+ rounds through the gun last weekend.

Gun just gets better and better for her and she is having a blast. Her sister who never shoots was shooting 7/8 out of 10 and apparently is a crack shot with it.

I shot a few through it and still think it’s a joy though it’s lack of LOP for me started to show. But 20ga is so fun. More updates to come as we shoot more.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:53 pm 
Crown Grade

There is nothing so satisfying as having the right "tool" for a job. Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Sounds like there is lots of fun shooting in her future! Thanks for the review.

Post subject: The truth in a nutshell
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

That said, the one thing that my wife mentioned that I put in ANY review of her gun was this -- "Ladies DO NOT listen to some old grumpy gun guy tell you it's not the gun and that you are recoil sensitive or fragile or whatever misogynistic excuse they come up with. It is TOTALLY the gun. Get a gun that fits YOU right and can get the job done!"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quick update folks. While waiting for my new ‘old’ gun to arrive, I shot her 20g during some practice rounds at 5 stand/wobble a few weeks back.

She was hitting a ton. Me on the other hand couldn’t it the side of a barn. Just goes to show how much good fit matters.

Post subject: Re: The truth in a nutshell
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

the45er wrote:

Amen, Sister. MAJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:57 pm 
Field Grade

Was the Elos D2 that your wife tried the latest version that just came out? I have been debating buying this for my daughter or spending the extra money for the Tempio. She tried the Tempio and liked it and I assumed the Elos would be similar since the stock dimensions are the same although the Elos is lighter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As I recall the Elos D2 is not built on a frame for women, that would be the Syren Elos N2. Your daughter should consider giving the N2 a try and see if she likes it. Plus, the Fabarm-made side of Syren tends to be less expensive than the CG-made side of Syren. MAJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rckdr wrote:
Was the Elos D2 that your wife tried the latest version that just came out? I have been debating buying this for my daughter or spending the extra money for the Tempio. She tried the Tempio and liked it and I assumed the Elos would be similar since the stock dimensions are the same although the Elos is lighter.

Yes, latest version. She was not a fan- felt totally off for her. She loves her Tempio however.