ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:56 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:15 pm
Posts: 20
I'm looking for a skeet gun for my wife. There's nothing unusual about her build, except she is above average height (5'10') for a woman. However, when she mounts regular shotguns, which I assume are made for average-height men, her eye seems to be high/above the barrel.

It occurs to me that women may generally have longer necks than men of the same height. Is that a goofy idea, or am I onto something?

Any suggestions for finding shotguns that will fit her?




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 1088
Location: Dallas, Texas
It is not a goofy idea, women do have longer necks in proportion to height. Consider a gun with an adjustable comb, and have a chat with a gun fitter. I know CG now offers its Syren line with installed adjustable combs, or you can have one put on the gun of your choice after-market. I have adjustable combs on all of my O/Us. MAJ

_________________
'Where is the kaboom? There was supposed to be a giant earth-shattering kaboom!" Marvin the Martian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:30 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
Unfortunately I find it necessary to disagree with my friend Mary Ann. As I see it, an adjustable comb does not relate to or solve a longer neck problem. It solves a high cheekbone relative to the iris problem. Or low iris relative to the cheekbone. Either way you want to look at it. When the cheekbone is at the comb, the iris is too low relative to the rib. If the opposite is true, and the iris and cheek pocket are too far apart, then a normal adjustable comb won’t help. You have to take material off the comb, not build it up. But if the problem is a long neck, that is a totally different story. Then she would need an adjustable butt plate, not an adjustable comb. She would need to raise the entire stock above her shoulder. Lowering the butt plate would allow her to do that and still have the proper mount with the butt planted into her shoulder pocket. Of course it is possible to have both problems and need both stock modifications. Adjustable butt plates are fairly inexpensive to have installed and include an effective butt recoil pad. Nice to have in any case.

Alternatively you would be looking for a gun with a very large drop at heel but fairly normal drop at comb.

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 1088
Location: Dallas, Texas
You may well be right. Situation definitely calls for a trip to a knowledgeable gun fitter. MAJ

_________________
'Where is the kaboom? There was supposed to be a giant earth-shattering kaboom!" Marvin the Martian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
MAJENKINS wrote:
You may well be right. Situation definitely calls for a trip to a knowledgeable gun fitter. MAJ

For sure.

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:11 am
Posts: 4216
Location: Western Tampa, FL
Women are configured differently than men? Who would have thunk it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
oyeme wrote:
Women are configured differently than men? Who would have thunk it?

So true. But still, the fit principles are the same. Drop at comb relates to the vertical separation between the cheek bone and eye. Drop at heel relates to the vertical separation between the shoulder and the eye. Cast relates to the horizontal distance between the shoulder pocket and the eye. For both men and women. Easy-peasy.

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:19 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 pm
Posts: 2596
All of the current model ladies guns come with some form of a Monte Carlo stock. This provides a higher comb to accommodate longer necks. Most females have problems with the amount of drop to comb on a man’s gun and when mounted they don’t see enough rib. My wife is 5’9” and didn’t need a higher comb, but that is rare. Gun mount can also be a problem. An adjustable butt plate is a possible answer, but not a good one. It adds weight and can change the recoil characteristic of the gun. As recommended, go see a gun fitter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
drawdc wrote:
All of the current model ladies guns come with some form of a Monte Carlo stock. This provides a higher comb to accommodate longer necks. Most females have problems with the amount of drop to comb on a man’s gun and when mounted they don’t see enough rib. My wife is 5’9” and didn’t need a higher comb, but that is rare. Gun mount can also be a problem. An adjustable butt plate is a possible answer, but not a good one. It adds weight and can change the recoil characteristic of the gun. As recommended, go see a gun fitter.

Well see, it depends. If the Monte Carlo shape results in the comb getting closer to the rib, then yes the comb has been raised. But if the distance between the rib and the comb stays the same with and without the Monte Carlo shape, then what has really happened is that the butt of the stock has been lowered. Of course various combinations of these two effects are common depending upon the philosophy of the gun designer and the needs of the shooter. One thing is certain and unequivocal. Having a long neck with a completely “normal” distance between the cheek and the iris cannot he fixed by raising the comb. All that would do is to raise the iris above the rib and result in the gun shooting high. The higher comb would be just the solution if the iris and cheek pocket are closer together than usual. But that has nothing to do with neck length.

To accommodate a long neck without regard to the distance between the iris and cheek the entire gun must be lifted. And that necessarily means lowering the butt of the stock to keep it in the shoulder pocket as the gun is raised up. If you don’t want to do that with an adjustable butt plate, very well. But the only other choice that I can see is a custom stock.

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:04 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 pm
Posts: 2596
rpenmanparker wrote:
drawdc wrote:
All of the current model ladies guns come with some form of a Monte Carlo stock. This provides a higher comb to accommodate longer necks. Most females have problems with the amount of drop to comb on a man’s gun and when mounted they don’t see enough rib. My wife is 5’9” and didn’t need a higher comb, but that is rare. Gun mount can also be a problem. An adjustable butt plate is a possible answer, but not a good one. It adds weight and can change the recoil characteristic of the gun. As recommended, go see a gun fitter.

Well see, it depends. If the Monte Carlo shape results in the comb getting closer to the rib, then yes the comb has been raised. But if the distance between the rib and the comb stays the same with and without the Monte Carlo shape, then what has really happened is that the butt of the stock has been lowered. Of course various combinations of these two effects are common depending upon the philosophy of the gun designer and the needs of the shooter. One thing is certain and unequivocal. Having a long neck with a completely “normal” distance between the cheek and the iris cannot he fixed by raising the comb. All that would do is to raise the iris above the rib and result in the gun shooting high. The higher comb would be just the solution if the iris and cheek pocket are closer together than usual. But that has nothing to do with neck length.

To accommodate a long neck without regard to the distance between the iris and cheek the entire gun must be lifted. And that necessarily means lowering the butt of the stock to keep it in the shoulder pocket as the gun is raised up. If you don’t want to do that with an adjustable butt plate, very well. But the only other choice that I can see is a custom stock.


The relationship of the position of the cheek on the comb, mainly controlled by length of pull, and drop to comb does exist. Your position that a higher comb results in a lower stock position simply isn't true. The differences between iris and cheek aren't enough to have an effect. The women's guns provide a shortened length of pull combined with the higher comb to provide a cheek weld position that more closely fits the needs of many women. It certainly doesn't provide a perfect fit, but it is much closer. I know you don't like to admit it, but you simply don't know more about gun fit than Syren, Beretta, Blaser, Zoli,etc. You have no experience fitting or instructing female shooters so your points are purely hypothetical.

My opinion on adjustable butt plates is simply that, my opinion. If you like them that's fine, but one has to be careful to not try and fix a problem that doesn't exist. You should post the pictures of your Yildiz again to show what you can do with one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
drawdc wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
drawdc wrote:
All of the current model ladies guns come with some form of a Monte Carlo stock. This provides a higher comb to accommodate longer necks. Most females have problems with the amount of drop to comb on a man’s gun and when mounted they don’t see enough rib. My wife is 5’9” and didn’t need a higher comb, but that is rare. Gun mount can also be a problem. An adjustable butt plate is a possible answer, but not a good one. It adds weight and can change the recoil characteristic of the gun. As recommended, go see a gun fitter.

Well see, it depends. If the Monte Carlo shape results in the comb getting closer to the rib, then yes the comb has been raised. But if the distance between the rib and the comb stays the same with and without the Monte Carlo shape, then what has really happened is that the butt of the stock has been lowered. Of course various combinations of these two effects are common depending upon the philosophy of the gun designer and the needs of the shooter. One thing is certain and unequivocal. Having a long neck with a completely “normal” distance between the cheek and the iris cannot he fixed by raising the comb. All that would do is to raise the iris above the rib and result in the gun shooting high. The higher comb would be just the solution if the iris and cheek pocket are closer together than usual. But that has nothing to do with neck length.

To accommodate a long neck without regard to the distance between the iris and cheek the entire gun must be lifted. And that necessarily means lowering the butt of the stock to keep it in the shoulder pocket as the gun is raised up. If you don’t want to do that with an adjustable butt plate, very well. But the only other choice that I can see is a custom stock.


The relationship of the position of the cheek on the comb, mainly controlled by length of pull, and drop to comb does exist. Your position that a higher comb results in a lower stock position simply isn't true. The differences between iris and cheek aren't enough to have an effect. The women's guns provide a shortened length of pull combined with the higher comb to provide a cheek weld position that more closely fits the needs of many women. It certainly doesn't provide a perfect fit, but it is much closer. I know you don't like to admit it, but you simply don't know more about gun fit than Syren, Beretta, Blaser, Zoli,etc. You have no experience fitting or instructing female shooters so your points are purely hypothetical.

My opinion on adjustable butt plates is simply that, my opinion. If you like them that's fine, but one has to be careful to not try and fix a problem that doesn't exist. You should post the pictures of your Yildiz again to show what you can do with one.

The human body is readily available for study. Say what you will, the basic principals are clear. Aside from LOP and the various angles of the butt surface against the shoulder pocket there are three principal dimensions. Vertically shoulder to eye, vertically cheek to eye and horizontally shoulder to eye. All three of these must be set in a way that is comfortable and functional for the shooter. There really is just nothing else. That’s it. You can try to make it more complicated, but that isn’t real. You would be kidding yourself. It doesn’t matter how experienced I am or I am not. It doesn’t matter how commercially available guns are designed. I don’t have to know more than the manufacturers. I don’t have to know the same as the manufacturers. All I have to know is how the human body and a gun interact, and that ain’t rocket science. It is dead simple and you can realize it after thinking about it for about 10 minutes. The truth is the truth. You can’t deny the basic fit truths. It would behoove you to stop trying to prove me wrong just for the sake of one-upmanship and stop making fun of my gun which perfectly fits me according to the style of mount and posture I have chosen to adopt. Just examine what I am saying. The validity is inescapable.

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 1043
Location: colorado
rpenmanparker wrote:
drawdc wrote:
To accommodate a long neck without regard to the distance between the iris and cheek the entire gun must be lifted. And that necessarily means lowering the butt of the stock to keep it in the shoulder pocket as the gun is raised up. If you don’t want to do that with an adjustable butt plate, very well. But the only other choice that I can see is a custom stock.


We solved this issue for my wife who would get a lot of cheek slap by using an add on rib and adjustable comb. By raising the rib, the gun moved down into her shoulder correctly and then the adjustable comb got her alignment to the rib correct. To test this I simply taped on a strip of wood from a hobby shop. Once we got the height right, I had a rib custom made. There are some ready made options as well.
Now her gun fits and she doesn’t get cheek slap. Unfortunately for me she also shoots better than I do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:05 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 pm
Posts: 2596
rpenmanparker wrote:
drawdc wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
[quote="drawdc"]All of the current model ladies guns come with some form of a Monte Carlo stock. This provides a higher comb to accommodate longer necks. Most females have problems with the amount of drop to comb on a man’s gun and when mounted they don’t see enough rib. My wife is 5’9” and didn’t need a higher comb, but that is rare. Gun mount can also be a problem. An adjustable butt plate is a possible answer, but not a good one. It adds weight and can change the recoil characteristic of the gun. As recommended, go see a gun fitter.

Well see, it depends. If the Monte Carlo shape results in the comb getting closer to the rib, then yes the comb has been raised. But if the distance between the rib and the comb stays the same with and without the Monte Carlo shape, then what has really happened is that the butt of the stock has been lowered. Of course various combinations of these two effects are common depending upon the philosophy of the gun designer and the needs of the shooter. One thing is certain and unequivocal. Having a long neck with a completely “normal” distance between the cheek and the iris cannot he fixed by raising the comb. All that would do is to raise the iris above the rib and result in the gun shooting high. The higher comb would be just the solution if the iris and cheek pocket are closer together than usual. But that has nothing to do with neck length.

To accommodate a long neck without regard to the distance between the iris and cheek the entire gun must be lifted. And that necessarily means lowering the butt of the stock to keep it in the shoulder pocket as the gun is raised up. If you don’t want to do that with an adjustable butt plate, very well. But the only other choice that I can see is a custom stock.


The relationship of the position of the cheek on the comb, mainly controlled by length of pull, and drop to comb does exist. Your position that a higher comb results in a lower stock position simply isn't true. The differences between iris and cheek aren't enough to have an effect. The women's guns provide a shortened length of pull combined with the higher comb to provide a cheek weld position that more closely fits the needs of many women. It certainly doesn't provide a perfect fit, but it is much closer. I know you don't like to admit it, but you simply don't know more about gun fit than Syren, Beretta, Blaser, Zoli,etc. You have no experience fitting or instructing female shooters so your points are purely hypothetical.

My opinion on adjustable butt plates is simply that, my opinion. If you like them that's fine, but one has to be careful to not try and fix a problem that doesn't exist. You should post the pictures of your Yildiz again to show what you can do with one.

The human body is readily available for study. Say what you will, the basic principals are clear. Aside from LOP and the various angles of the butt surface against the shoulder pocket there are three principal dimensions. Vertically shoulder to eye, vertically cheek to eye and horizontally shoulder to eye. All three of these must be set in a way that is comfortable and functional for the shooter. There really is just nothing else. That’s it. You can try to make it more complicated, but that isn’t real. You would be kidding yourself. It doesn’t matter how experienced I am or I am not. It doesn’t matter how commercially available guns are designed. I don’t have to know more than the manufacturers. I don’t have to know the same as the manufacturers. All I have to know is how the human body and a gun interact, and that ain’t rocket science. It is dead simple and you can realize it after thinking about it for about 10 minutes. The truth is the truth. You can’t deny the basic fit truths. It would behoove you to stop trying to prove me wrong just for the sake of one-upmanship and stop making fun of my gun which perfectly fits me according to the style of mount and posture I have chosen to adopt. Just examine what I am saying. The validity is inescapable.[/quote]

The only reason I prove you wrong is because you always are wrong. You don’t know what you are talking about. You give bad advice and then get upset when people call you out. I am far from the only one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:22 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
slotracer577 wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
drawdc wrote:
To accommodate a long neck without regard to the distance between the iris and cheek the entire gun must be lifted. And that necessarily means lowering the butt of the stock to keep it in the shoulder pocket as the gun is raised up. If you don’t want to do that with an adjustable butt plate, very well. But the only other choice that I can see is a custom stock.


We solved this issue for my wife who would get a lot of cheek slap by using an add on rib and adjustable comb. By raising the rib, the gun moved down into her shoulder correctly and then the adjustable comb got her alignment to the rib correct. To test this I simply taped on a strip of wood from a hobby shop. Once we got the height right, I had a rib custom made. There are some ready made options as well.
Now her gun fits and she doesn’t get cheek slap. Unfortunately for me she also shoots better than I do.

Of course you are right. It can surely be done that way. You moved two of the three points on the gun upward. You could have instead moved the third point (butt) downward with a very similar effect. If the rib and comb both needed to be raised the same (or very close to the same) amount, then more simply and cheaply the butt could have just been lowered. That is all I am saying.

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:36 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:11 am
Posts: 4216
Location: Western Tampa, FL
Guys just to provide one more variable that has not been discussed; there is pitch. That too needs to be different for women for obvious reasons. The Syren line has different pitch in their guns. I think going back to what Mary Anne said makes the most sense. Get it fitted to her properly and she will derive much benefit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:46 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 pm
Posts: 2596
oyeme wrote:
Guys just to provide one more variable that has not been discussed; there is pitch. That too needs to be different for women for obvious reasons. The Syren line has different pitch in their guns. I think going back to what Mary Anne said makes the most sense. Get it fitted to her properly and she will derive much benefit.


Agreed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:12 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
oyeme wrote:
Guys just to provide one more variable that has not been discussed; there is pitch. That too needs to be different for women for obvious reasons. The Syren line has different pitch in their guns. I think going back to what Mary Anne said makes the most sense. Get it fitted to her properly and she will derive much benefit.


I agree completely. And I mentioned that above when I wrote, "Aside from LOP and the various angles of the butt surface against the shoulder pocket there are three principal dimensions. Vertically shoulder to eye, vertically cheek to eye and horizontally shoulder to eye."

I will correct one thing I said above about not seeing any way to raise the gun without either lowering the butt plate or building a custom stock. Of course I was forgetting about what was just posted by slotracer 577 about raising both the rib and comb in combination. Surely that would do it. My bad. But for a single adjustment, lowering the butt is it.

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:37 pm
Posts: 19405
rpenmanparker wrote:
oyeme wrote:
Guys just to provide one more variable that has not been discussed; there is pitch. That too needs to be different for women for obvious reasons. The Syren line has different pitch in their guns. I think going back to what Mary Anne said makes the most sense. Get it fitted to her properly and she will derive much benefit.


I agree completely. And I mentioned that above when I wrote, "Aside from LOP and the various angles of the butt surface against the shoulder pocket there are three principal dimensions. Vertically shoulder to eye, vertically cheek to eye and horizontally shoulder to eye."

I will correct one thing I said above about not seeing any way to raise the gun without either lowering the butt plate or building a custom stock. Of course I was forgetting about what was just posted by slotracer 577 about raising both the rib and comb in combination. Surely that would do it. My bad. But for a single adjustment, lowering the butt is it.


I agree with Robert. The gun fit "cure" for a person with a long neck (which many women have) is to have more drop at the heel. As he also said, they may also need a different height of the comb in relation to the top rib, but that is a different problem from the "long neck" issue.

I also agree with him that the simplest solution is to have an adjustable butt pad installed on the stock. If you get one which adjusts for LOP, drop at heel, cast, cant, and pitch, then you've got pretty much all the bases covered except for the drop at comb issue which may not be a problem at all. Even if DAC is an issue, that can be addressed separately with either a higher comb or an add-on rib depending on which way she needs to go to get a better fit.

_________________
Please post For Sale items in the proper Classified section.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Posts: 2729
Location: Houston, TX USA
Ulysses wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
oyeme wrote:
Guys just to provide one more variable that has not been discussed; there is pitch. That too needs to be different for women for obvious reasons. The Syren line has different pitch in their guns. I think going back to what Mary Anne said makes the most sense. Get it fitted to her properly and she will derive much benefit.


I agree completely. And I mentioned that above when I wrote, "Aside from LOP and the various angles of the butt surface against the shoulder pocket there are three principal dimensions. Vertically shoulder to eye, vertically cheek to eye and horizontally shoulder to eye."

I will correct one thing I said above about not seeing any way to raise the gun without either lowering the butt plate or building a custom stock. Of course I was forgetting about what was just posted by slotracer 577 about raising both the rib and comb in combination. Surely that would do it. My bad. But for a single adjustment, lowering the butt is it.


I agree with Robert. The gun fit "cure" for a person with a long neck (which many women have) is to have more drop at the heel. As he also said, they may also need a different height of the comb in relation to the top rib, but that is a different problem from the "long neck" issue.

I also agree with him that the simplest solution is to have an adjustable butt pad installed on the stock. If you get one which adjusts for LOP, drop at heel, cast, cant, and pitch, then you've got pretty much all the bases covered except for the drop at comb issue which may not be a problem at all. Even if DAC is an issue, that can be addressed separately with either a higher comb or an add-on rib depending on which way she needs to go to get a better fit.

{hs#

_________________
Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comb drop/height differences for women/options
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:23 pm
Posts: 5607
Location: Brillion, WI-25 mls S of Green Bay
I too agree with Ulysses/rpenmanparker. To make a gun fit most women, adjustments for LOP, pitch and drops at the comb and heel may be needed, although rarely one for cast at the heel since a slight stance rotation may correct a slight misfit of the cast at the heel.

[Edit] The two stock dimensions that appear wrong for your wife are first, the drop at the comb, which describes the distance of the comb below the rib. In your wife's case, it appears that it is too little and her eye is too far above the rib or barrel.

Then, I also suspect that the drop at he heel may be wrong for her. This is the dimension, which describes the distance of the top of the recoil pad, the "heel" below the rib. This dimension may to too little if she mounts her gun below her collarbone.

Both of these dimensions can be changed. Too little drop at the comb can be corrected by having an adjustable comb installed after telling the gunsmith or stock fitter that she needs the comb lowered and to make it so that the comb is parallel with the bore if at all possible.

Another option would be to have an add-on rib installed. The effect would be the same as lowering the comb. Both would lower the eye relative to the rib.

Increasing the drop at the heel can be accomplished by the installation of a unit known as a pad adjuster, which allows the whole pad to be lowered. The Jones and the 100-straight are two common pad adjusters.



_________________
Rollin

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], cheecho1960, Cumberland, dickgtax, DooFighter, EricB, F*W*F, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], johnnie g, LilBoog, liveblues, Mark Pfeifer, Mkk, msmith, OldStufferA5#1911, Rack-N-Roy, RetroRain, Rooster booster, sewmacoil, Stuck-N-Kali, Supertex1978, Waldyo


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice