It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dressing for the cold
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:53 am 
Limited Edition

Shooting skeet in a cold climate is a challenge when you try to keep warm with out bulk that restricts your movement. I started this season with an Under Armour Base 4.0, I will add the next layer which is a Under Armour coldgear long sleeve golf shirt. So far the base 4.0 is amazing it is a snug fit and very warm and comfortable. Does anyone else have ways of dressing without the restriction of movement? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Dressing for the cold
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:34 am 
Diamond Grade

When it's that cold, I stay home. For me it is no fun to shoot in the old; but i'm 73!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:26 am 
Crown Grade

Under Amour is the way to go, hat, gloves, top and bottom. Get a good shooting coat and lined pants on top of that and should be good to go.

If really cold, I shoot with insulated bibs, and just leave the strap on my shooting side undone, but try not shoot when it is that cold out.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:26 am 
Crown Grade

Forgot to add, hand warmers help a lot too.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:56 am 
Crown Grade

How long are you fellows out? How cold is cold? We pretty much stop shooting at about 10 degrees wind chill.
We just shoot one round, then go inside while another squad shoots on the same field. That way, we're not out more than about 20 minutes at a time.
I just wear long underwear, with a fleece vest under my shooting jacket.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:31 am 
Limited Edition

I freeze if I wear Under Armor, don't know why. I prefer a base layer of merino wool, then an insulation layer, followed by a wind breaker layer. I have found that down insulation is less constricting and doesn't extend my length of pull.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Under Armour 4.0 is magical. Not really thicker than long johns , but so much warmer. While in Alaska, I wouldn't need any extra insulation until it got below 15.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have shot this season when the temps were in the single digits (thankfully not too many of those days so far). The biggest problem has been keeping the traps working smoothly in those temps. When dressing for that kind of cold weather, I start with Cabela's Polar Weight long underwear tops and bottoms as a base. For pants, I wear flannel lined jeans or Carhartts. I save the wool pants for really cold days. On top, I'll wear a heavy chamois shirt with a wool vest. Over all that I"ll wear an old Bob Allen winter shooting coat that is sadly no longer made. I can't shoot with gloves, because I need to feel the trigger, so hand warmers are a must. I'll wear a warm Filson wool cap with shearling ear flaps on my head and pac boots with Smartwool socks on my feet. Definitely NOT dressing for fashion but I've been very comfortable and have not found it to be too bulky.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use thicker sweatshirts with thermals underneath. I'm usually hot when everyone else thinks it's pleasant-slightly cold. Even when it's 15-20 degrees out I'm usually not cold until station 6-8 with how I dress and at that point We're about done and I'll be going into the clubhouse to warm up.

If it reaches single digits or colder I'm staying home. I don't shoot well with a bunch of layers or a coat on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:47 am 
Diamond Grade

To help from not getting all tangled up in your clothes, is to have a thinner recoil pad made for winter shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:40 am 
Limited Edition

A shooting friend swears by his new fangled battery heated jacket for our cold Wisconsin winters. Looks like he's dressed for the beach when the rest of us are all layered up. Here's his jacket:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N56YG ... ref=plSrch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:30 am 
Limited Edition

I'm thinking of a heated jacket or jacket liner. I use a heated jacket liner on my motorcycle, and it allows me to wear a long sleeve shirt, the jacket liner, and my leather. With this I stay toasty into the 40's at highway speed all day long.
The best part is you do not feel bulked up and restricted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:24 am 
Field Grade

I've found the Cabelas and Bass Pro base layers to be lower priced the the Under Armour and they both work well. You can purchase them in various weights. I generally don't shoot below 30 degrees and a middle weight base layer and med weight jacket seems to work fine for me.

A warm hat and wool socks are also used.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot in western New York up by Lake Ontario.It can get mighty cold and windy here. my wife got me a heated vest and another pair of Bob Allen gloves for Christmas. this has been one of the best winter leagues ever ! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:19 pm 
Crown Grade

we've been blessed this winter, shot in 75 degree temps today!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

It was a beautiful day in N western PA as well , I could get used to this global warming thing !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Define what "cold" is. It is subjectively different to each of us. I myself will typically will not shoot if the temps are below 20F and it's windy, which adds in a wind-chill effect.

For clothing, multiple layers. A short sleeve Tshirt, then a long sleeve Tshirt, a sweatshirt, topped off with a Patagonia fleece pullover. A regular pair of jeans for the bottoms and a wool beenie hat I'm quite comfortable with this outfit. Will occasionally wear gloves if it's windy when the temps are below 32F.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:53 pm 
Crown Grade

When I lived out West, we sometimes shot at night under the lights (and snow). Back then it was a Duofold thermal an extra layer or two and a Wild Hare insulated shooting coat. I still have the Duofold and Wild Hare for those very few days here in FL where it hits the freezing mark. Sitting at 87 @4PM today so those items do not get used like they used to! :lol:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:13 am 
Limited Edition

Now that I have been using the Under Armour tops in the cold I have to say they are amazing!!! Warmth without the bulk they are pricey so you have to shop their site and Amazon and you will see some big price reductions.

Life is sexually transmitted!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:36 am 
Presentation Grade

When I shot in Jan of this year I wore a short sleeve Polo and shorts. It's nice to live in Texas Hill Country.
Nope, no more cold for me, been there and done that. Some of you remember the Woolrich black and red wool plaid, god forbid you get wet!