It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Setting targets (western single stacks)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm working on getting the best targets out of these machines as possible. I'm wondering how you know when to replace the rubber.

The problem machine is on the low house. Taking the curl out of the target requires moving the arm toward the front edge of the plate.

When I have it throwing targets without curl, they throw wayyyy inside (left), so - I loosen the bolts to turn the machine. Problem is, the machine is now turned as far as possible, and it's still throwing too far to the left....

Could this indicate that the arm is worn and needs replaced? Or do we need to re-drill the mounting holes in order to turn the machine further right? Trying to fix it as simply as possible. As it is now, we have it throwing through the hoop, but in order to do that requires the arm to move back, which introduces curl, and it ends up 10' to the right of the distance marker.

Anyone that has set targets with these old machines knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks for any advice!

Post subject: Re: Setting targets (western single stacks)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:50 pm 
Limited Edition

You can also get rid of the curl by shimming up one side of the machine. Get it close that way and then use the rubber adjustment to fine tune. The curl probably started with the machine platform getting off level.

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet arm or international? Length rubber has some bearing as well.

The words of my late best friend, Eye Missum.......I miss him at every skeet shoot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

This particular one has the longer arm with 2 adjustment screws (some of our others have a short arm. Whichever one that is

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

ILLINOIS wrote:
You can also get rid of the curl by shimming up one side of the machine. Get it close that way and then use the rubber adjustment to fine tune. The curl probably started with the machine platform getting off level.

Ed

Thanks Ed, this is my guess to. I like the idea of shimming it. I'll probably try that this week.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:53 am 
Presentation Grade

I am pretty sure the longer rubber throwing arm is for International skeet. The short arm is for regular skeet. You can also use sandpaper to dress up the rubber on the arm to help put spin on the target.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:08 am 
Crown Grade

David McMillen wrote:
I am pretty sure the longer rubber throwing arm is for International skeet. The short arm is for regular skeet. You can also use sandpaper to dress up the rubber on the arm to help put spin on the target.

Yeap. If you get the wrong throwing rubber on the wrong arm it usually doesn't work very well. Have done it in a pinch though. If you are buying parts for the winchesters use Quality Replacement parts. DO NOT use Howell. They buy them from QR and simply double the price. I have the invoices to prove it if there is any questions.

The words of my late best friend, Eye Missum.......I miss him at every skeet shoot.