It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using different loads
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:48 am 
Tournament Grade

Been watching skeet competitions and noticed that sometimes the shooter would drop a round in one barrel and a different round in the other barrel. Can you explain why they do that? Is is about anticipating that the second target would be further by the time they get to it? Is it a lower recoiling first round for quick recovery then a more powerful one in the second?

Post subject: Re: Using different loads
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

SBE3 wrote:
Been watching skeet competitions and noticed that sometimes the shooter would drop a round in one barrel and a different round in the other barrel. Can you explain why they do that? Is is about anticipating that the second target would be further by the time they get to it? Is it a lower recoiling first round for quick recovery then a more powerful one in the second?

It could be either of the scenarios you pose in your questions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:24 am 
Field Grade

SBE3 wrote:

It could be a "mental" thing. Many moons I shot with a guy that had, what some folks considered, a strange mental preparation. When he dropped the rounds into the barrels, he made sure that the case head stamps, were turned a particular direction. Couldn't argue with the guys philosophy, he was AAA in everything.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:29 am 
Tournament Grade

Hard to argue with that guy indeed! :) What I'm talking about though isn't a good luck thing. I watched them drop one load in a barrel from the right pocket, then another that is of a different color from the left pocket into the second barrel. Seen it done in videos of the ISSF World Cup as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

i do it for doubles, lighter load in bottom barrel, less recoil.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Sounds like me. I shoot 8 shot for second shots on 4 and 9's for everywhere else.

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

oldskeetshooter wrote:
SBE3 wrote:

It could be a "mental" thing. Many moons I shot with a guy that had, what some folks considered, a strange mental preparation. When he dropped the rounds into the barrels, he made sure that the case head stamps, were turned a particular direction. Couldn't argue with the guys philosophy, he was AAA in everything.

Don't you know that if you put the shells in upside down, YOUR PATTERN WILL BE UPSIDE DOWN!!???
I think it's more important to worry about the important stuff like "did I leave the safety on?"

For what it's worth, I use a split load when shooting trap doubles, 7/8 oz for the first shot and 1 or 1 1/8 for the second bird. Yes I know it's not skeet, but then it's not really trap either.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:00 pm 
Crown Grade

I'll be the differing opinion. It's a useless practice that just takes more focus away from visualizing what I'm about to do. Targets in skeet are not all that far away anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sobrepuesta wrote:
I'll be the differing opinion. It's a useless practice that just takes more focus away from visualizing what I'm about to do. Targets in skeet are not all that far away anyway.

You are spot on. Worrying about chokes and shells in American Skeet is a distraction. Skeet can be hard, but it isn't complicated.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Sobrepuesta wrote:

The reigning World Skeet HOA Champion would beg to differ, as he actually changes chokes between stations.

It works for him. Everybody has their "thing" !

I absolutely know that I shoot doubles better on 3,4 and 5 when my first shot is NOT 1 1/8 oz.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

John Henry wrote:
Sobrepuesta wrote:

The reigning World Skeet HOA Champion would beg to differ, as he actually changes chokes between stations.

It works for him. Everybody has their "thing" !

I absolutely know that I shoot doubles better on 3,4 and 5 when my first shot is NOT 1 1/8 oz.

Do you shoot worse when your second shell is also not 1 1/8 oz.?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:15 pm 
Crown Grade

John Henry wrote:

For skeet or for doubles?

Changes chokes or changes barrel order?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

John Henry wrote:

Is he the reigning World Skeet HOA Champion because of this or in spite of this?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

I think Briley ought to introduce a choke called "blunderbuss" for station 8 and maybe 15 yard crossing rabbits in sporting clays.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:42 pm 
Crown Grade

B.L.E. wrote:
I think Briley ought to introduce a choke called "blunderbuss" for station 8 and maybe 15 yard crossing rabbits in sporting clays.

They do. It's called their Diffusion choke.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

ShowMe wrote:
B.L.E. wrote:

They do. It's called their Diffusion choke.

In that case, they need to rename it. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:14 am 
Crown Grade

B.L.E. wrote:
John Henry wrote:

Is he the reigning World Skeet HOA Champion because of this or in spite of this?

Good question, that no one will answer........ :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 pm 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:

Do you shoot worse when your second shell is also not 1 1/8 oz.?[/quote]

Probably not. The point being, the heavy 1 1/8 oz kicks more and can move face on the comb a little. Not set up ideally for the second shot.

It's about recoil, not BB count. (Of course, recoil is related to BB count)

I'm happy to shoot 1 1/8 on 2nd shot. recoil doesn't matter after the 2nd shot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:41 pm 
Crown Grade

ShowMe wrote:

For skeet or for doubles?

Changes chokes or changes barrel order?

Good question. He shoots an auto for 12 and Doubles. Regularly seen changing chokes when shooting DBLS on 4. Never actually seen him during a regular round.

Wayne Mayes did the same thing, I've seen him doing it at the World. Seemed to work ok for him........

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:05 pm 
Crown Grade

One of the first good doubles shooters in my state, and this was long before there were screw chokes, used to set a different gun (an O/U probably choked IC/Mod) behind station 4 to use at there.