ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: One or two shells
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Our club allows loading two (everywhere but 8) but most of the more competitive shooters load one at a time for all the singles shots.

I've done it both ways, currently loading 2. But it can be useful to load 1 if you feel yourself getting frustrated or edgy. It forces a dismount and remount. I will usually dismount and remount the gun if I miss the high house, just to take a breath and reset.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Whatever works for you is fine.

If you take forever on the pad shuffling your feet, tracing from center stake to the house and back to a hold point, readjusting your feet, etc. you'll have a hard time finding a squad that wants to shoot with you.

If your half way pleasant, step onto the pad and take care of business you'll be fine.

Tournament shooting is a different game than leagues or practice. The entire squad is expected to get done in a certain amount of time. Its your responsibility to not waste it. If you can get the job done loading one, go for it. But this is true of your entire 'routine'. If you're going to shoot tournaments part of practice has to be streamlining your approach to the station.

One of Many

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:15 pm 
Limited Edition

I shot with Bender for several years. Our whole squad loaded 1 at a time. We always finished our flight in under an hour.

I did it to slow me down and make me think about the 2nd shot but if you’re serious about what your doing it still isn’t slow.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:49 am 
Tournament Grade

dbjaaskeet wrote:

I did it to slow me down and make me think about the 2nd shot

That would certainly help some shooters.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Two.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:49 am 
Presentation Grade

I load two for singles because on 1,2,5, and 7 the process is closer to shooting doubles than having to load between each shot. It also prevents any embarrassment if I lose track whether it's a single or double.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:40 pm 
Crown Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:

The serious time-eaters are those that are not on-deck when the shooter in front of them is shooting. Strolling six to ten feet to the pad after the proceeding shooter finishes his station eats a lot of time.

Agreed and that is one of the most annoying delays for me.

I've broke a couple of people of that habit by stepping up and shooting in their absence then pretending I though it was my turn since no one else was ready to step on the station. Do it to the same person a couple of times and they will get the point.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This happened to me two days ago. I had a good round and was standing on 8 low with a 23.I loaded two since I had to shoot my option. It surprised my friend who was had the controller when I called "pull" immediately after my first shot as he thought I was going to reload.
We had a friendly discussion whether this was ok with the rules. Was it ok to load two on low 8.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:55 am 
Diamond Grade

Yes, and, if your friend was paying attention, he would have noticed that you loaded 2.