ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Side Kick 2.0 extractor problems
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I am still having problems with the extractors in the tubes falling out when I remove them to clean the gun. I try to clean between 75-100 rounds fired so the tubes and gun don't get so filthy. I have found that Brake-Kleen does a good job if you spray the outside of the tube, and allow to "work" for 5-10 minutes, and scrub with a copper brush, and wipe the residue off with a rag.
But the problem is when I knock the tubes out for cleaning, the extractors pop off the tubes and will not go back in without a lot of effort.
I have sent them back to Briley one time and they put a new set of extractors in the tubes. After 3 cleanings, they started popping out again!
I have been able to get them back into position after much effort today.

Conversations with Briley have not be productive. They say to send them in and they will take a look. That gets expensive and I lose use of the tubes for 3 weeks!

Has anyone else had this experience ? What did you do about it?
What do those with the Briley Side Kick 2.0 tubes suggest?

Thanks in advance! {hs#

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

Post subject: Re: Side Kick 2.0 extractor problems
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Maybe try cleaning them and your barrels with Hoppe's or something other than brake cleaner? I've never had a problem with my extractors on my Sidekicks or my full length Briley tubes coming off when knocking them out of the barrel. While I remove them at the end of the shooting day, I don't always clean the tubes, though I'll take barrel swab like the below and give it a couple quick passes to get most of the junk out.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10500 ... ing-rod-35

Extractors don't seem to hard to pop back in. I think the key is to pinch in the edges at the widest point of them while pushing them back on to the side of the chambers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:54 am 
Crown Grade

I use the Brake-Kleem on the OUTSIDE of the tubes to remove powder residue. It leaves no residue.
The inside of the tubes are brushed and I use a bore snake on the 20 and 12 ga barrels. They always shine after cleaning.

The problem is the extractors, once they pop out, will not fit back into the tubes.

I will try your "pinch" suggestion, but I am sure I have done that.

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:23 am 
Crown Grade

I know this seems like finger pointing, but the extractors are getting bent outside the gun. It usually is caused during installation but could be how you store or transport them. Having the problem twice points to that. Re- evaluate what you are doing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:15 pm 
Crown Grade

The tubes stay in the gun since I switched to using the 20 ga all the time.
The only time the tubes are removed is to clean the gun, barrels, and tubes. I do know how to handle delicate parts. They are removed on a padded work bench, so your suggestion is not accurate.

I was unable to call Briley on this today, but that is my next planned step!

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Believe what you want. I really do hope you find an answer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:57 pm 
Field Grade

There may be some machining issue with the side kicks. Since you have repeated problems, maybe it is time to get Briley to give you another set of side kicks and see if the problem continues.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:09 am 
Tournament Grade

I have owned several sets of tubesets, both Briley and Kolar. I have also owned Sidekicks before.

I would say that the extractors popping off when removing tubes is quite normal for 20 gauge tubes. Every part of a 20 gauge tube is quite thin, by necessity. Not every tubeset has this happen, and it happens with some more frequently than with others.

Usually, the easier they are to pop off, the easier they are to install. There is a bit of a learning curve to snapping them on just right. I push one side of the extractor in place and continue to keep downward pressure on it, then stretch the other side over gently into its groove and push down on it.

My current Briley 20 gauge tubes see the extractor pop off pretty frequently when I remove the tubes. I do not see it as a problem with the product. Like you, I am very careful to make sure that the extractor can fall on a nice flat and soft surface (my gun case) when I am removing the tubes. As long as the extractor doesn’t hit the ground and get stepped on, there is no problem. I snap it right back into place and put the tubes away.

These tubes never have extractor issues during use, and they digest every type of ammunition that I feed them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:27 pm 
Crown Grade

tmmiller57 wrote:
I have owned several sets of tubesets, both Briley and Kolar. I have also owned Sidekicks before.

I would say that the extractors popping off when removing tubes is quite normal for 20 gauge tubes. Every part of a 20 gauge tube is quite thin, by necessity. Not every tubeset has this happen, and it happens with some more frequently than with others.

Usually, the easier they are to pop off, the easier they are to install. There is a bit of a learning curve to snapping them on just right. I push one side of the extractor in place and continue to keep downward pressure on it, then stretch the other side over gently into its groove and push down on it.

My current Briley 20 gauge tubes see the extractor pop off pretty frequently when I remove the tubes. I do not see it as a problem with the product. Like you, I am very careful to make sure that the extractor can fall on a nice flat and soft surface (my gun case) when I am removing the tubes. As long as the extractor doesn’t hit the ground and get stepped on, there is no problem. I snap it right back into place and put the tubes away.

These tubes never have extractor issues during use, and they digest every type of ammunition that I feed them.

Thanks for this informative response! This sounds like what my extractors are doing every time I remove them for cleaning.
BTW, how often or how many rounds do you fire before removing and cleaning?

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I remove my tubes after every use. I will never leave subgauge tubes installed in my barrels after shooting.

Even with full length fitted tubes, humidity and moisture can somehow find a way in between the tubes and your chambers/barrels. Sidekicks may make it even worse, combining all of the soot from shooting them. I learned this firsthand with a Beretta I owned the one time I left the 28 gauge tubes in the barrels overnight. The surface rust cleaned up easily enough, after only 24 hours or so, but I was not happy about it.

Other shooters may have different experiences, and I know some who do leave their tubes installed. I never will. I just tap the tubes out and put them away, then run a bore snake through the 12 gauge barrels. That takes me an extra 60 seconds to do, and I see it as time well spent.

With Sidekicks, the cleaning of the 12 gauge barrels will be more involved, but shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. I wouldn’t spend any time cleaning the Sidekick tubes themselves, as they are made from stainless steel and aluminum and won’t corrode easily, plus they’ll just get filthy again next time. I would remove the Sidekicks exactly once daily for cleaning of the 12 gauge barrels, whether I shot one box of shells that day or three cases.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

See if you can slide the, tube, extractor up and down easily, while it is in the barrel. They could be too tight against the guns extractor. Maybe it is causing them to bend. For all practical purposes, extractors are a fitted dovetail. Half of the dovetail is on one leg, the other half of the dovetail is on the other leg. Dovetail gets loose, extractor falls out. Squeezing them too hard to get them back in will only make matters worse.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:32 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have a friend that is struggling with his Sidekick 2.0 tubes having the extractors pop out and also having the barrels extractors jumping over the tube extractors in his Beretta. He took the ejector springs out and cut off a coil so the extractor was not so vigorous. He believes the harsh kick of his barrel extractors was the source of the problem. He seems to have solved the barrel extractor riding over the 2.0 extractors. The strong ejection action may have bent the 2.0 extractors, leading to their popping out.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:16 pm 
Utility Grade

My 20 gauge extractors fall out almost every time I take my tubes out. It's not a big deal. I smoothed mine up a little with 800 grit paper and silicone,to get better ejection. I clean mine every time I shoot. I lightly oil them before putting them back in. Just put the ejector in place, on the tube and gently slide it in as far as you can, being precise on aligning the ejectors to your guns. Tap it in until it's bottomed out. I check mine with my thumb to be sure everything is moving smoothly. If there is an issue, you will instantly know. I live close to Briley, and took mine back the first time it happened. They showed me what I just tried to explain to you. They confirmed that the 20 gauge tubes were the most problematic. My Perazzi is fine with them. I have shoulder problems, and they have allowed me to shoot as much as I want to. Good Luck and shoot well!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:12 pm 
Crown Grade

I mailed the tubes back to Briley today. They will get there Friday.

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:49 pm 
Utility Grade

It will all come together for you! What gun are you using them in?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:58 pm 
Field Grade

drawdc wrote:
I know this seems like finger pointing, but the extractors are getting bent outside the gun. It usually is caused during installation but could be how you store or transport them. Having the problem twice points to that. Re- evaluate what you are doing.

I agree that they CAN get damaged when installing them.
I (now) take great care when tapping them in;
a) I align the drift to NOT cover the extractor
b) I hold a finger on the extractor as I tap the tube in so that I can feel it go down and feel that it is still free in the chamber.
c) Every couple or three taps I check that the extractor is still free, if anything binds I get the knock out rod, remove the tube and start over.

Not CERTAIN that it was my fault, but I had a problem with one when I first got my set.
After a long conversation with Briley they sent me a new one and everything has worked well since.
The extractors CAN be "bent back straight again" not easy and it may take a lot of tries.
Basically remove both of them and CAREFULLY compare them - any bend should show and straightening by hand ONLY can be done.

Last edited by clays-R on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:54 pm 
Crown Grade

The problem was the Side-Kick tubes were defective; as I expected. We negotiated a deal for the full length Companion tubes and they have been in use for about a month, with not the slightest hint of a problem!
In removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the tubes, the extractors have not once popped off! Installing the tubes and reinserting then has not required excessive pounding as I was experiencing with the Side Kicks.

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:58 pm 
Crown Grade

The problem was the Side-Kick tubes were defective; as I expected. We negotiated a deal for the full length Companion tubes and they have been in use for about a month, with not the slightest hint of a problem!
In removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the tubes, the extractors have not once popped off! Installing the tubes and reinserting then has not required excessive pounding as I was experiencing with the Side Kicks.

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Companion tubes use the same chambers and extractors as the Side Kicks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:36 pm 
Crown Grade

I know.

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep