ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ear plus for shooting
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Long ago there were folks that came to shoots that fitted you with ear
plus in your ear while you wait. Mine are worn out and on their last leg.
I see folks at shoots with different ear plugs and they say they get them here and there, etc. Would like a pair that has a connecting string on the so that when you finish shooting you can remove from you ears and they will lay around your neck.
What did you get, where, and how do you like them?

Thanks!

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

Last edited by labloverva on Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ear plus for shooting
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:41 pm 
Limited Edition

I buy a new pair every 4 or 5 years at the world shoot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:30 pm 
Crown Grade

I have the best plugs you can buy. The Flents purple foam ones from Amazon. Almost the highest NRR known, 33. None of the professionally fit ones beat that. And if the fitted ones are a little bit off, you get no protection. Comfortable all day. Cost pennies.

Last edited by rpenmanparker on Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
I have the best plugs you can buy. The purple foam ones from Amazon. Highest NRR known, 34. None of the professionally fit ones beat that. And if they are a little bit off, you get no protection. Comfortable all day. Cost pennies.

I agree with this.
I've had several pair of custom plugs, and none of them protected my ears (or are rated) as well as a good pair of properly inserted foamies. I'm partial to the E.A.R Blasts.

One of the issues I've found with custom plugs, is that 99% of them are molded in your normal sitting position. When I mounted the gun, the change in head posture, and pressure from the stock on my face always messed with the seal of the plug.... leaving me with poor protection.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:45 pm 
Crown Grade

These are throw away after use, is that correct?
I was hoping the would have a connecting string between them.

Defiantly not going to Texas for a pair! But thanks!! :lol:

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Duplicate.

Last edited by rpenmanparker on Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Not exactly. I use the foam plugs a few times. But you don’t have to go to a Texas. Amazon is everywhere. Flents. Easy peasy.

BTW you can buy foam plugs with a string connecting them. I don’t care about that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:31 pm 
Limited Edition

labloverva wrote:

Defiantly not coming to Texas? Our simply determined not to make such a trip?

I say come to Texas to shoot - the World, the Goose, the Best of Texas, maybe the Blaser - and get a set of ear plugs made while you're here!

Seriously, try as I may, I cannot get foam ear plugs to work. My ear canal shape is such that they will not seat in a manner where they stay in place. You will see one or more vendors that make molded ear plugs at the World in San Antonio; I had a set made in Tucson while shooting the Old Pueblo. I would think there's a good chance you would find someone to make them at any large shoot - whether skeet, trap or sporting. You can also have an audiologist make a set for you - but this will be a little more costly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:16 pm 
Crown Grade

SWN wrote:
labloverva wrote:

I say come to Texas to shoot - the World, the Goose, the Best of Texas, maybe the Blaser - and get a set of ear plugs made while you're here!

Seriously, try as I may, I cannot get foam ear plugs to work. My ear canal shape is such that they will not seat in a manner where they stay in place. You will see one or more vendors that make molded ear plugs at the World in San Antonio; I had a set made in Tucson while shooting the Old Pueblo. I would think there's a good chance you would find someone to make them at any large shoot - whether skeet, trap or sporting. You can also have an audiologist make a set for you - but this will be a little more costly.

Are you saying that if you roll the foam plugs down into a very long, narrow cone as directed, it won’t bend to follow your ear canal and expand to fill it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:53 pm 
Field Grade

Our industrial safety manager told me the best protection is the foam with a set of muffs over them. I use that for rifle and pistol but do not like the muffs with a shotgun so I just use the foam. I like the string to go in one ear and then out the other :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Pullandmark wrote:
Our industrial safety manager told me the best protection is the foam with a set of muffs over them. I use that for rifle and pistol but do not like the muffs with a shotgun so I just use the foam. I like the string to go in one ear and then out the other :)

I keep the gun side muff up on top of my head and only use the off side one. Most of the blast is on the off side anyway. And I am only using the electronic muffs for their amplification of voices so one ear is good enough. The plugs suffice for protection.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:59 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a pair fitted by a local audiologist who is firearm friendly and posted a flyer at my club. The plugs go about 1/2 inch into my ear canal and are comfortably tight fitting (they "twist" in), dampen the report of a shotgun and allow me to hear my squadmates between shots. Cost was about $100.
A few caveats: I wouldn't use the plugs alone for anything other than shotgun. I use over the ear muffs with the plugs for pistol. The report of most pistols is "sharper" than the report of shotguns to my ears.
When first sought fitted plugs I made an appointment at another audiologist. When I arrived at my appointment I was presented with a 10 page form to complete that was clearly designed to sell hearing aids. I explained that I wasn't interested and walked out. The audiologist that made my plugs asked only that I fill out a minimalist form. He then used a foam like material to make impressions of my ear. A week later I returned to the office for a final fitting. No fuss. Guess which office I will visit when I need hearing aids?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:04 am 
Limited Edition

rpenmanparker wrote:
SWN wrote:
labloverva wrote:

Are you saying that if you roll the foam plugs down into a very long, narrow cone as directed, it won’t bend to follow your ear canal and expand to fill it?

That's exactly what I am saying. I cannot get them inserted far enough to stay in place.

I had one set of molded plugs made by an audiologist, and she told me I have a bend in my ear canal - apparently this is enough to cause issues with the foam plugs. As another poster mentioned, insertion of my molded plugs involves rotating them as they are inserted/seated - this helps the ear plug work its way into the ear canal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:14 am 
Presentation Grade

Ssanders224 wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
I have the best plugs you can buy. The purple foam ones from Amazon. Highest NRR known, 34. None of the professionally fit ones beat that. And if they are a little bit off, you get no protection. Comfortable all day. Cost pennies.

I agree with this.
I've had several pair of custom plugs, and none of them protected my ears (or are rated) as well as a good pair of properly inserted foamies. I'm partial to the E.A.R Blasts.

One of the issues I've found with custom plugs, is that 99% of them are molded in your normal sitting position. When I mounted the gun, the change in head posture, and pressure from the stock on my face always messed with the seal of the plug.... leaving me with poor protection.

+2. I like the 3M yellow cylinders too, but they offer slightly less protection. I have abnormally wide ear canals - well, actually they started out abnormal narrow, but after a few surgeries as a child, my right ear is now abnormally wide. For my right ear, I have to smash them in backwards, wide side first. But they work and I have a ton of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:39 am 
Presentation Grade

SWN wrote:

That's exactly what I am saying. I cannot get them inserted far enough to stay in place.

I had one set of molded plugs made by an audiologist, and she told me I have a bend in my ear canal - apparently this is enough to cause issues with the foam plugs. As another poster mentioned, insertion of my molded plugs involves rotating them as they are inserted/seated - this helps the ear plug work its way into the ear canal.

Interesting.
I've worked on industrial safety teams in hearing conservation areas (hundreds of employees), along side audiologists, and I've never run into anyone that quality foam plugs didn't work for when properly inserted. The problem is, probably 75% of the people I've worked with didn't know how, or weren't, inserting them properly.

I tell people to get the full effectiveness from foam plugs, it should feel like you are poking your brain when you insert them.

Moldex "Sparkplugs", EARsoft "Blasts",etc... SHOULD conform perfectly to your ear canal when properly inserted.

That being said, if foamies didn't work for me, I guess GOOD set of custom plugs is the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:21 am 
Tournament Grade

These re-usable Peltor ear plugs sold at Walmart are the bomb. They work so well there is no way I can justify spending more for something else. I've given them away at the club and everyone who has used them loves them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Peltor-Sport ... k/21909796

Personally I hate the connector string. I yank that off immediately.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:42 am 
Presentation Grade

clarion wrote:
These re-usable Peltor ear plugs sold at Walmart are the bomb. They work so well there is no way I can justify spending more for something else. I've given them away at the club and everyone who has used them loves them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Peltor-Sport ... k/21909796

Personally I hate the connector string. I yank that off immediately.

Most flange style plugs aren't great at protecting your hearing. They are probably OK for shotguns, but if you shoot every week I'd want something a little more effective.

3M is dealing with a lawsuit over their flange style plugs issued by the military not being effective enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

SWN wrote:

I'm not sure if I have a similar issue as you, but this works for me.

I buy the cone shaped ear plugs and put them in backwards. Big end in the ear, they work amazingly well and won't fall out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Super Leight foam plugs are NRR 33, in a single use plastic pouch, and are connected with a nice long cord. They work great for shooting, noisy yard equipment, etc.
They will generally stay put for me, fit deep in the ear.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Cletus McGinn wrote:
SWN wrote:

I'm not sure if I have a similar issue as you, but this works for me.

I buy the cone shaped ear plugs and put them in backwards. Big end in the ear, they work amazingly well and won't fall out.

Glad you found what works for you, but that is 100% opposite to how they are recommended to be used.

Last edited by rpenmanparker on Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.