It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wireless release not voice release
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:17 pm 
Field Grade

Our club is looking at getting a wireless release for our skeet field. Right now we have to run a wire between our houses plus the pull cord. I checked with Promatic and they have two or three systems.One is there brand which we are leaning toward. This is just a button release not a voice release.My question is : Is a wireless release worth the money and are they reliable.

Post subject: Re: wireless release not voice release
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Unless they have gotten better, we tried them 5 or 6 years ago, and they simply aren't powerful enough transmitters to work as we wanted them to. There's also a delay that isn't present in a corded system.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:37 pm 
Crown Grade

My experience with wireless releases was the same as Doc's. We had a Long Range system and it had a target delay that just couldn't be taken out. It may have been OK for sporting clays but it was a dud for skeet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Vette Jockey wrote:
It may have been OK for sporting clays but it was a dud for skeet.

That's a good way of putting it...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We use a wireless clay delay at our club and use it as a release. It can be used as a voice release also if you want to shoot by yourself or you can use the unit just as you would a corded system. There is no delay in this system unless you put it in that mode and it is normally only used with the microphone for solo use. It works very well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We have the claydelay system at our club and it usually works fine. Every once in a wile pushing the button results in a no bird because the system didn’t connect.
When we first got them they were giving us problems in that the one control would trigger both fields but that was fixed and I love the fact that I don’t have to roll out the cord and then roll it up again.
I would say go for it!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have shot at three different clubs this past year that use wireless releases. They all worked fine. No delays were noticed. All were Long nRange products.

259xx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:24 pm 
Crown Grade

We have these installed on 2 adjacent skeet fields and they work great. There is no delay and we have yet to exceed their range even after taking a controller over 50 yards from the field.

We wish Briley would make a standard style pickle for it, but it's still easy to use.

http://www.briley.com/trapremotecontrol.aspx

We were actually more interested in the Black and Ivy set-up but it was about 3x the cost.

http://blackandivy.com/5/wireless_pickle.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:04 am 
Field Grade

Briley does have a new wireless pull cord. It is a regular pickle with a separate receiver that you can plug into your regular pull cord recptical. Or if you have a coin box it can be added to the box. There is no delay in the pulls. It has been used at several Texas clubs and in shootoffs at some big shoots. Stormy has one that he carries around with him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:08 pm 
Field Grade

Guys,

The old Long Range 500mhz system had the potential to have some inconsistent delays. Their new model is the 4300 mhz system and it is instantaneous and quite reliable. We have sold a bunch of these Long Range TT4300 packages (1 transmitter, 2 receivers) and have used them on our rental fleet for over a year now. I would recommend them to anyone looking to make a skeet or sporting station wireless.

let me know if y'all have any questions,
Corey Howell
[url]howellshootingsupplies.com[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
i hate the delay they cause.

with all these snake oil gizmos, it makes me actually wonder about going back to trap boys and yelling real loud. it would be cheaper and it would employ the locals. and in this recession, its something we ought to give a closer look. :idea:

in the meantime, i continue to use cords.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:28 am 
Field Grade

Our club installed the Promatic system, we will try it out this Wed. night. After I installed the wireless system it worked great with NO delay.It was simple (which I liked) to hook up just plugged it into our Promatic skeet traps.Time will tell.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:26 pm 
Field Grade

Major146 wrote:
We have the claydelay system at our club and it usually works fine. Every once in a wile pushing the button results in a no bird because the system didn’t connect.

Major I got the Clay Delay too and I used to think the same thing but then realised it wasn't that the system didn't connect but that I had taken too long before calling for the target after pressing the button. It resets and de-selects the targets. Once I changed my routine such that I only select the targets just before I call - (for me it is once I load my O/U but before I close it) - it never happened again.

Great bit of gear the Clay Delay!

regards
JohnT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:31 pm 
Field Grade

We use the ERAD system at our club. Each member buys a transmitter and birds are loaded to their specific transmitter. The receiver is located in a house or we have our skeet only fields at the center pole. With the system members can "pull their own with voice" and/or you can plug in and use the pickle. The pickle and voice release can be operated on the same field with no issues. You go out to the field, select your game, log on and you are ready to go. It is a great system and we have had no issues with it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I also have a Clay Delay wireless release system and am very pleased with it.
Their support is also top notch, when I have needed to ask questions

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:35 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I made a few systems from cheap Chinese radio control gear off of eBay. I got a four channel set and tied the channels 3 & 4 together for Doubles. I tried doing this on the Tx side on some systems, and on the Rx side of others. Did not seem to make a difference. Some of the systems did have a perceptible delay, but most were ok. Something like this might work for you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000M-4CH-RF-Re ... 53e2be79a5

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:34 pm 
Crown Grade

We had wireless systems at the club, and pulled them out to go to hard wire pullers instead.

The were not that bad to keep running, but it was the batteries going weak at the wrong time that was the nail in the coffin that was the end of them.