It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me decide: Sell the barrels from a 4 barrel set?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:27 pm 
Field Grade

I have a K80 four barrel set. I am shooting mostly Sporting Clays and don't see myself ever shooting registered skeet. The 20,28,& .410 barrels are just taking up room in the safe.
I like the gun and the 12ga barrels have briley chokes. The others are skeet and skeet.

Is there a reason for me not to sell the barrels, except for the 12? It seems like the multi-barrel sets are going out of style in favor of tubes anyway.

I am new at this and would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Ben.

Post subject: Help me decide: Sell the barrels from a 4 barrel set?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

If they are 28" skeet barrels you are probably looking at $1000-$1200 at most per barrel, so if you need the $3500, then sell if you aren't using them.

The price, in my opinion, will just keep going down. The new shooters all want tubes and as the older guys who shoot barrel sets stop buying them they will deminish in value.

There was/is a set on another website now with an americase barrel case for $3700 and I don't think there has been much interest. good luck with whatever you decide.

Paul

Post subject: Re: Help me decide: Sell the barrels from a 4 barrel set?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maybe keep them and shoot some of the sub-gauge event's that are offered at quite a few S/C shoots.

Just a thought :D

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Ben...it is a set! Would you sell one of wife's boobs and break up a set?? :roll: :lol:

There is just something way cool (to me) about a 4 barrel set. Without the other 3 barrels, it's just a shot gun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:32 pm 
Crown Grade

I've never owned a 4-barrel set but always loved them. Unless you are hard-up for the money, I would keep it as is.

A guy I know on the USAF Skeet team just bought a K-32 4-barrel set, and it brought a good penny still.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:52 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks,

All good points. It is a set with matching numbers. No I would not sell one of my wife's boobs, but if I could get any money for one of mine, maybe.

I am not a collector and hate to see an un-used resource. I have the set for sale locally but not getting any serious interest.

Whatever.

Thanks again.

Ben.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Ben Peeples wrote:
No I would not sell one of my wife's boobs, but if I could get any money for one of mine, maybe.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I nominate this for quote of the week!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rather than break up the set. Why not sell the whole set and then buy a shotgun. Might be the best of all worlds?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:52 pm 
Field Grade

I have the set for sale, with case, locally for $8500. No serious bites. If I got only $3K for the barrels and case, total, then I would have$5.5 in the gun, with 12ga barrels and chokes. I think I would have to spend closer to 7 to replace it. It is of 1988 vintage, but shows also zero wear and has a gracoil installed. It makes $$ sense just to sell the barrels separately, I just hate breaking up the set.

Ben.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
reminds me of teenagers who would buy vw bugs to save money and spend a years wage and manhours transforming them into dune buggys. theyd been better off just buying a dune buggy.
and when theyre done either way, its still a vw!
dont sell them. youll kick yourself some day. guns are like wine, youre suppose to let them collect dust for a few decades...and then sit back and watch people fight over them when they are rare or when some gun rag does an article to spark interest in them again..to a new generation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The day of the barrel set is long gone, and the day of the 28" barrel isn't too far behind it, so you have a double whammy.

Prices will continue to go down. It wasn't that long ago when you could get $1500 out of a 20/28/410 barrel, but now your lucky to get $1k.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:29 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
the day of the 4 bbl set and 28" bbls is only gone because of the costs in manufacturing, marketing, choices, advertising, trends, and fads.

if all that was available in the world were 4 bbl sets, people would be still using them.

i just shot 100 straight with my 26" bbl gun this weekend. sure glad i didnt get rid of it due to peer pressure to look and be like someone else...with 30" bbls or with tubes!

dont break em up. sell the whole thing to someone who will apprieciate them as a set, and who shoots them well. the less there are, the more valauble the sets will become in the future.

the engineering that goes into making 4 bbls point and pattern all the same is remarkable. its easy to break em up, but youd never be able to afford to have them refitted with bbls ever again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:46 am 
Crown Grade

bobski wrote:
the day of the 4 bbl set and 28" bbls is only gone because of the costs in manufacturing, marketing, choices, advertising, trends, and fads.

if all that was available in the world were 4 bbl sets, people would be still using them.

i just shot 100 straight with my 26" bbl gun this weekend. sure glad i didnt get rid of it due to peer pressure to look and be like someone else...with 30" bbls or with tubes!

dont break em up. sell the whole thing to someone who will apprieciate them as a set, and who shoots them well. the less there are, the more valauble the sets will become in the future.
Pray tell, where are all these sets going? They don't wear out, do they? Just because someone owns one and keeps it in the safe doesn't mean it's going to appreciate in value.

the engineering that goes into making 4 bbls point and pattern all the same is remarkable. its easy to break em up, but youd never be able to afford to have them refitted with bbls ever again.
You want to try this spasm again? what is the "them" you are referring to?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"if all that was available in the world were 4 bbl sets, people would be still using them."

And if all that was available was the Model T, people would still be driving them.

Time change, technology progresses, and you can either get with the times and embrace the change, or you can live in the past, and get left in the dust.

BTW, which of your guns did you shoot the 100 w/, out of curiosity?

kolarskeet@gmail.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
BTW, which of your guns did you shoot the 100 w/, out of curiosity?

I'm going to guess the 3200. Bobski has long touted the 3200 as the equal to the K80 and I think he puts his money where his mouth is and shoots one regularly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

But he also shoots pumps and gas guns, where the sighting plane of a 26" barrel equals the sighting plane of a 30" o/u (a fact which he has refused to acknowledge in the past).

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:42 pm 
Limited Edition

I may be missing something here but I was under the impression that barrel sets are custom fitted to the receiver they were made for.so I don't see how they would be of much use to anyone else without the receiver.

Citori 725 Sporting
Citori 725 field 20ga
1100 Rem 20 ga Std Wgt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Barrels can be refit from one receiver to another, it is generally not a big deal.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:54 pm 
Field Grade

I no longer shoot registered skeet; however, I bought a 28" four-barrel Citori last summer just because I have always wanted one and this one was less than 2K with case, adjustable comb and adjustable butt. The store where I bought it had a 26" set a few months earlier for under $1200. I would have bought that one if I had the extra cash.

I remember drooling over these in Shooter's Digest when I was a teenager and I think they listed for $3800 back then. I know they are not popular and, having shot quite a bit of skeet and sporting with a tube set, understand why. They are simply cool. I'm much more a shooter than a collector, but I get satisfaction from having this set and shooting it occaisionally.

Don't break up the set.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:43 am 
Field Grade

You guys are making some fine points about keeping the set. I don't have a plan for the $ and do like the concept of the different barrels. They are cool. My shooting partner shoots all of his, just for the hell of it and I have several friends that swap off between the .410 and 28 almost weekly. So far that has not been my thing, but I am leaning toward keeping them in the event I get the sub-ga bug.

Thanks,

Ben.