It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: not happy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
you already got your lessons.
get a coach.
get someone who will stand behind you and correct your errors WHEN they happen.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:32 pm 
Field Grade

bobski wrote:
get a coach.

yep, I got my lessons, good to be here :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bobski wrote:
get a coach.

Got that with my lessons....potato potatoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

+1 with the lessons. I do disagree about seeking ou registered shooters & asking their opinion because unless you are a really experienced shooter you won't know if what they are telling you is a load of crap or not. When I was a begginner (as a woman for some reason men you don't know can't resist telling you where they think you are going wrong :roll: ) after a few months of shooting great (75 straight after 4months) it all went pear shaped & it took one lesson to be told I was having eye dominance issues. I started off fine,my right eye was dominant,but then all of a sudden my other eye started taking over. If I'd have listened to those guys though I would have altered my comb,given more lead,less lead,shot further over/under, stayed in the gun longer & sung yankee doodle :lol:
Yes it costs to get a lesson but you won't regret it-it would be worth stopping shooting for a month for because you are only reinforcing bad habits until you find out what you are doing wrong ;)

aka K80 katie

Facebook: Kate Marsden West Midlands

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Let us know what you decide

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm clawing my way up the same way you are and it has been a slow trip, and I fully understand how miserable it is getting stuck in the low numbers, or inexplicably returning to them after you've made an improvement. I've been shooting skeet about two years, I'm currently shooting in the low 20s, my best is a 23, and my hat is still in one piece. I agree with some of the other commentators, when you are stuck, go take a lesson. Think of it like you aren't feeling well so you go to a medical diagnostician who runs you through the tests and helps you figure out what is wrong. It will be the best money you will spend as a skeet shooter. MAJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:14 pm 
Field Grade

I agree that lessons work. Go in with an open mind and ask questions, the answers may surprise you. I'm cross-eyed dominant and my instructor has been exceptional at offering me solutions that use the good that I've brought with trial and error work of my own and his expertise as a shooter and instructor. Best wishes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

The common consensus is to get a good instructor especially if just starting out as I am. I can only compare it to picking up Golf for the first time. I played for a year after being self taught by trial and error.
I had a goal to break 90 but just could never fulfill that dream. Broke down went to an instructor it took him three lessons just to break the bad habits and muscle memory I had instilled in my swing before we could begin the process of building my game.
I am around the 17-21 average with but want to improve on the constancy. I had a scheduled time slot with Todd Bender here in Dallas on February 11th.
On that day a Canadian cold front came thru the area we met at 8:30 at the Dallas Gun Club the OA temp was 26 degrees with a 30 mph north wind.
I was able to shot one round of skeet with him while waiting for the other member to show up.
We both concluded the weather was too extreme even with a propane hand warmer going and had to cancel the class.
Todd is a fantastic individual we were able to talk for a few minutes about my expectations from the course as well as filling out my personal goals.
I have his class rescheduled for upcoming June. I figure find the best of the best to evaluate everything about the individual and correct errors early in the game.

Happy Shooting,

MarvC
8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Strobes. With good coaching, anyone who picks a shotgun up for the first time should be able to break every target on a skeet field within 2 hours. I can get you to break high teens within 2 hours, possible 25's or very close within 4 hours. I coach all the time at Elmfork, I was there all day on Sunday and Monday this week. Next day I will be there is Monday 27th. Don't struggle on your own with all the free advice from others. Come and see me. If I don't deliver, I don't expect you to pay me, its that simple. :D

Pete Blakeley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

pete blakeley wrote:
Strobes. With good coaching, anyone who picks a shotgun up for the first time should be able to break every target on a skeet field within 2 hours. I can get you to break high teens within 2 hours, possible 25's or very close within 4 hours. I coach all the time at Elmfork, I was there all day on Sunday and Monday this week. Next day I will be there is Monday 27th. Don't struggle on your own with all the free advice from others. Come and see me. If I don't deliver, I don't expect you to pay me, its that simple. :D

Pete Blakeley

Wow, can't ask for more than that!

I would jump on that offer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Deffinitely go with the instructor...granted I have never had one (do have a coach though for my team) but for the most part I have learned it on my own. 3,4,5 were kickin my butt and but one day I just started hittin em and havent had much of an issue since. Station 8 both high and low I have tweaked a lot on my own. Couldnt hit it at all and now I hardly miss it. So you can learn on your own, but it deffinitely helped having someone tell me what I was doing wrong, then correcting it and making small adjustments to their advice that worked better for me.

Post subject: not happy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had the same experience. One day I was shooting from station 3 and I swung the gun too fast, got too far in front, and the target exploded. A light bulb went off.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
shop around. ask whoever you pick to train you, the following:

1. will they teach you one on one for 12 hrs without anyone else in line? how about 24hrs?
2. will they teach you night targets?
3. will they teach you patterning?
4. will they give you ammo with their lesson?
5. will they pay for your birds during their lesson?
6. will they critique you in writing and verbally?
7. will they teach you doubles?
8. will they teach you 3 different leads?
9. will they teach you low gun?
10. will they teach you trap machine basics?
11. will they teach you endurance skills?
12. will they throw you and teach you every imaginable way a bird can be shot?
13. will they teach you AD's?
14. will they schedule you to meet your needs or will you be scheduled into their road show schedule?
15. will they give you EXTRA time free?
16. will they work with you on shooting within your budget?
17. will they offer their private home to you, to save you motel/hotel costs?

if they can answer YES to all of these, you made the best decision for a private coach. :wink:

skeet and trap shooters claim to be the friendliest people on earth. put them to the litmus test. i know a few that will pass with flying colors. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:50 am 
Diamond Grade

bobski. Please read the original post from Strobes where he asks "how long for a newbie to break 20's in skeet." Then read my post above. It's not a trick. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:56 am 
Crown Grade

pete, no trick assumed.
no doubt either.
cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:18 am 
Diamond Grade

Bobski. I probably didn't explain that very well so I apologize. What I intended to say was that asking a lot of questions about what a coach is prepared to do before you hire him is of course OK. Good coaching is expensive but there are lots of coaches out there that get into the game for the wrong reasons. I'm saying that I can get Strobes to do what he is asking in four hours because I am an NSSA skeet coach and experienced. For five years I was the pro. at probably one of the best skeet clubs in the world, the Dallas Gun Club here in Lewisville and I coach a lot of top level skeet shooters. A new skeet shooter has two options. Try to figure it out on his own and probably pick up a lot of bad habits along the way, or go to a professional. Picking up bad habits can be a problem. It can sometimes take time to detoxify a shooter who has picked up bad habits. For this reason, its often best to take the lessons before becoming frustrated and not understanding what you need to do to break the targets. Skeet is a game of perfect scores. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:35 am 
Crown Grade

agree. the sooner the better.

and i wasnt clear either. sorry for any confusion.
see, my post had a hidden meaning for our poster. he knows what it was.
cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:25 pm 
Limited Edition

dogchaser37 wrote:
I would find a good coach. Your first statement regarding leads and stopping the gun, go hand in hand. Stopping the gun is classic result of looking at the target than at the last moment checking the lead by looking back at the barrel, the gun stops. Find a good coach, not to be confused with the local hot-shot or gun club experts.

You probably need to address a skeet gun that shoots 80/20, that is trap gun territory. 50/50 to maybe 65/35 is more in line.

Oh yeah, like others have suggested find a good coach.

Unfortunately, this was how I was missing so many targets.
The solution FOR ME was to change over to a low gun mount, eliminating the 'luxury' of having time to check everything before pulling the trigger.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

The most common problem I see is improper hold, look and break points.
Lesson can't hurt, but Bender's cheat sheet might go a long way insofar as self-help:
http://www.ohioskeet.org/Misc/BenderCheatSheetLite.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

edw8ri wrote:
I had the same experience. One day I was shooting from station 3 and I swung the gun too fast, got too far in front, and the target exploded. A light bulb went off.

Ha, ha! I shot with a skeet newb (but experienced hunter) a couple weeks ago and he couldn't hit anything. Finally I told him, "Swing so far ahead of the target you're sure you'll miss it". He did, the target broke, and he immediately started shooting 50%. And I assume enjoying himself much more.