It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skeet methods
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:16 pm 
Field Grade

For American Skeet, what proportion of serious skeet shooters use the "spot shooting" technique as opposed to the "sustained lead", or "swing through from behind" techniques. It is my observation that spot shooting skeet is not real common by tournament shooters. Comments?

Post subject: Re: skeet methods
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think the answer is about none..sustained lead is the method of choice for serious shooters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
all american sustained lead skeet shooters shoot spot shooting in one place on the field and dont even acknowledge it. maybe even two.

can anyone guees?

http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

Last edited by bobski on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

hmmmm L7 and H1? :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
bingo.
no one ever uses the same swing in a complete game of skeet. it sometimes requires all 3.

Last edited by bobski on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Spot shooting is wholly unreliable. One windy day and your spot shooter can't hit squat. Swing through is kind of Old School. You will see primarily hunters that can deliver high recreational skeet scores shooting swing through, some older gentlemen who may have been taught this method in their youth, and some talented unschooled shooters who have come to it on their own. But, as per above, sustained lead is what you will see among competitive shooters. I shoot mainly international now, where w/o sustained lead I don't see how you can break doubles on 3-5, and find that if I shoot American I will often have to start out with swing through to readjust to the speed but that I have to readjust fairly sharpish. Not sure if I have sussed bobskis station but I am guilty on L7. He may be suggesting station 8 but I certainly can't spot shoot 8.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:43 pm 
Crown Grade

rp....1H and 7L. both are spot shots.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ah - ha H1. I tend to think of it as "ambushing " the bird, more of a hinged movement than any other but I suppose it's mighty close to spot shooting...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:49 pm 
Crown Grade

in our day we called it picture framing the shot. remember?
you just hold your gun out over the stake and wait for the bird to fly thru it and pull the trigger.
and isnt that what 1H is? you wait for the bird to come down and touch the bead and bang.
but, if it goes below the bbl, it becomes a swing thru.

any shooter that doesnt learn all the ways is short changing his talent. this is why i teach all 3 at my range. if youre going to win, you better know them all. just in case.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:12 pm 
Crown Grade

bobski wrote:
rp....1H and 7L. both are spot shots.

Not buying it!!!!!

Lets start off with H1.

Hold point is first knowing where the target is going to be over the center stake, mount up to that point in the sky, then bring the barrel up one inch for your hold. Although there is not a lot of movement downward, its still a move with the barrels downward for the target correction, and the reason behind this, you need to end up with the barrels below the second target coming back to you on the pair. If spot shot, then the barrel are dead up high, and blocking the sight of the second target to see it before it hits center line.plus your just spot shooting the target.

Now on 7L (and even 7H), you teach a shooter to mount up above the window and off to the side (advance in the flight line of the target after coming out of the window), the first time that he gets a low target, he is dead in the water. Yes, you still want to be outside, but no higher than the middle of the window, with even at the bottom of the window for there hold better. Plus with a low hold, even if they jump the house early, the target it still going to be above there moving barrels, and will be still be accelerating to break the target (even with the early drive).

Granted that there may be times that you have to pull off a spot shot,hence Forget to look for/get the barrels to just short of the center line for the second target in a 2/3/4/5/6 pair, that is a recover to a problem that you have already caused before hand.

Bottom line, there is rhyme and reason to every shot in the game of skeet, and if you are shooting the single just like you are shooting the pairs, then no shoot out there is a spot shot. Or as Raymond once said, love shoot-offs when the wind is howling, since most of the shooters are used to the targets on stings, and when they have to shoot targets that are moving around, these guys are lost ducks out of water.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:04 pm 
Crown Grade

if you need to come down on 1H, youre too high.

less chance of missing if you only need to move left or right on 7. if you move up or down youre chasing the bird.

unless its 50mph, and you know birds are diving, you dont hold low. ya gotta start somewhere, and being on the flight line at the 21yd stake is way better than being low and having a high riser....making you chase it.

and even if you do use your method, youre still picture framing it when you catch it. there isnt a lead involved.

been there done that, still doing that. :D

Last edited by bobski on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bobski wrote:
if you need to come down, youre too high.

+1, I have to agree with Bosbki. If there is any movement for me it is typically a small later movement as I did not align correctly to begin with. If I am chasing after the bird (moving the barrel down), I have either mounted too high...or was late getting onto the bird. Both are things I do all too often :(^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:16 pm 
Crown Grade

I've heard Wayne Mayes in video refer to some skeet shots as "placement shots" which I assumed to mean spot shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:58 pm 
Crown Grade

1000 people.
1000 phrases.
1 meaning.
gun stands still, bird flies into the bbl.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:01 pm 
Crown Grade

I am not saying anyone is wrong or right. What I will say is on H1 if you hold to low and you have to come up to the target and the target is going down it makes a hard shot. Because the target and the gun are going in opposite directions. One of the hardest shots on the field is when you hold to high on a L7 and it dives, again the gun and the target are going in different directions.

But what do I know last year I missed 3 H1's and 1 L7 out of 7050 reg. targets. Maybe if I Had done it another way I wouldn't have missed those 4. :lol:

Allen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:12 pm 
Crown Grade

guns are patterned 60 40. if the bird on 1 is coming down, and youre already way above it....its more like 100/0 until you swing down under it to get the figure 8 on it. and it never stops diving.
at least with a lower gun over the stake on 1, the bird passes down thru the pattern. and you can watch it instead of having to find the hidden bird under your bbl.

my way has less movement and its a whole lot easier to compensate for small alignments. try it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Well it depends on how far out you are willing to let it go before you break it. I agree in a prefect world, hold where it is going to be. But today it's windy you hold where it should go and it goes up so you might have bring the gun up or wait a little later as it starts to come down. Now you are holding in the same place and it goes down, you have to be able to go down and get it. My point is you can't always hold in the perfect place for it to always come down to your gun. I have shot all over the US and I am yet to go to a shoot that on high 1 the target was always where I could wait for the target to come to the gun. Any way who cares. :lol:
Allen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

I agree on the "picture framing " analogy on 1H in American. The "hinge " movement I was referring to is from low gun and is still essentially thesame thing. The hinge is to mount, not to chase. Anyway, the earlier comment that no one te unique is going to get you through all 25 shots rings true to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:01 am 
Crown Grade

Without having to right a novel,
Station one is simple as this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaF9rE-uE6w

And if you are watching the targets before you have to shoot them per station, you will have an idea of where the target is going to be at center line, so just snapping up one inch from where the last target went over center line for the first shot, you will never end up with a hold either too high, or too low on the hold.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:33 am 
Crown Grade

Dano523 wrote:
Without having to right a novel,
Station one is simple as this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaF9rE-uE6w

OMG OMG !!!!!! safety violation at 1:25 OMG OMG call the safety safari !!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO