CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 gauge
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:11 pm 
Field Grade

What can you guys tell me about using a 28 for skeet and sporting clays ? I'm intersted in an over and under, probally a Browning Citori. So i want know if i'm at a disadvantage using the 28 compared to the 12 gauge.

If so please explain to me what the disadvantages would be please. Do any of to fellas shoot skeet and sporting clays with a 28?

Thanks
Jerry

Post subject: Re: 28 gauge
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

IMO 28 is perfect for skeet not as fun as 410 but a great caliber for skeet.

For SC... hum unless it's a subgauge event I think you're at a disadvantage with 3/4 Oz.

If it's all for fun then 28 gauge is perfect for both sports.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, you are at a disadvantage using a 28 gauge. The question is, does that bother you?

The reason you are at a disadvantage is the same for both sports. HOWEVER, you can shoot the 28 gauge event at skeet without being at a disadvantage. Some will tell you of people who shoot 12, 20, and 28 gauge with a 28 gauge and you can certainly do that.... but you are at a disadvantage.

Your odds are better shooting a 12 gauge.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:46 pm 
Field Grade

The thing to remember with subguage guns is you want the shot at the same fps as your 12 gauge skeet loads. If you know your leads to hit the center of a bird with the 12 you will hit the center with the 28.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:58 am 
Presentation Grade

I find little difference between 28 and 12 when I'm shooting well. In fact my record is better with the 28. I've been told the pattern for a 28 is excellent for skeet. I use a Fausti 28 gauge O/U and love it. For sporting clays I stick with my 12.

BTW, I know of at least one competitive shooter that shoots his 28 in everything except the 410 and scores very high.

Fausti O/U 28 ga
Remington 1100 410 ga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

In General, what little you give up in pattern size compared to a 12 gauge, you make back up, even more so to better the odds in your favor, due to less recoil and faster recovery times on the second shot.

Now having said that, the huge problem your going to run into in a dedicated 28 gauge gun, is lack of weight, which causes you to do a lot of upper body shooting, instead of leg driving.

For most skeet shooters, the magic gun weight is right around 10lbs to 10.5 lbs, so in can be leg driven correctly (has enough weight that when leg driven, the gun is not at center line by the time the target even gets to the hold point.

So to sum it up, nothing wrong with 28 gauge for skeet, and just a make of having a gun heavy enough in that gauge so you can from shoot the game correctly to run targets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
weight of gun or shot pattern isnt what hurts you....wait until you buy a box of 28ga shells. it will make you think real hard about wanting to go that way on a regular basis. especially when you start missing. dollar to donut youll be saying " i coulda had a 12ga..." (like the V8 commercial)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am having neck trouble and I may switch fro my 12ga to a 28ga for sporting clays.

I would rather handicap myself than not be able to shoot at all.

Who knows, maybe I'll pick up a target or two where I would ordinarily struggle because of the recoil.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Follow the link from my website to "Like" us on Facebook.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:30 am 
Field Grade

I believe your best option would be to go with the 12 ga. The Citori is a great gun. If you then decide you would still like to persue a different gauge, look into the Briley companion tubes for the Citori. They run about $600 per gauge(or so). The tubes only take a couple of minutes to install or change from one to another, or to remove. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How serious are you. Do you strive to be a top notch competitive shooter, or just enjoy yourself and be as good as you can be with the tool you choose. I shoot for pleasure, to be as good as I can be, but not serious competition. Did enough of that years ago. I don't feel as though I give up anything with a 28 on the skeet field, average in the 20's with it gun down, with an occasional 25,and a freak 50 on occasion. Can't do any better with a 12.
Sporting is another story, but I don't get upset with the misses, and relish the hits. I wish there was a good SC facility closer to me, I would shoot more, and still with the 28.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

I shot one two weeks ago in a tournament and I shoot it just as good as my 12 ga. I actually havent found the difference in weight to affect my shooting, and the difference in recoil will do wonders for you if you have some sort of injury making you want to change.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:20 am 
Tournament Grade

I used a 28 gauge Beretta Silver Pigeon II with 30 inch barrels for a competition in Tennessee. My schedule was tight and didn't have time to bring my regular tubed Browning XS Special Citori with me on the plane. The best score of the four gauges was with 410 tubes in place. The extra weight helped to smooth out my swing I'm guessing. If you are going to use the 28 gauge, practice with it and learn the ins and outs of the particular gun. I would go with 28 gauge tubes in my 12 gauge O/U if I were to shoot solely the 28 gauge in competition. My second choice would be get the triggers redone and use a single set of 410 tubes. The tubes would fit in the gun for storage with a regular factory hard case. The changing tools could fit in you shooting bag.

Psalm 18:34

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:56 pm 
Limited Edition

28 Gauge = Best Overall gauge for American Skeet

12 gauge = Best gauge period for sporting clays as it is usually a longer range game than skeet.

If its an easy SC course, use the 28.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:09 pm 
Field Grade

I've shot 12 20 28 all year with the 28 at skeet.In my experience it's a 1/2 bird in average I give up to not take the pounding. YMMV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FWIW, you can load 3/4 oz loads for a 12ga too, AND they cycle my 391 auto just fine! It won't pass muster for a subgauge event, but in your average 12ga gun there is near zero recoil AND it is surprising how little they impact your scores, even on long targets in sporting as compared with 1 or 1-1/8th oz loads. I am finishing off a batch of 7/8 oz wads and next purchase will be the Claybuster pink 3/4 oz wads. You can buy a good Mec single stage press for under $250 and roll your own 3/4's @ 1300 fps for under $4/box using reclaimed or even re-dropped shot and scrounged hulls -- you can reload almost any current hull once, even steel based ones since these loads are so low pressure relatively speaking.

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I appreciate this post because I'm right at the cusp of shooting 28 gauge. I have a nice 12 gauge SxS RBL that is itching for a set of tubes. Yes, the 28s are more costly, but I can save the hulls and sell them to offset the cost differences. At ten cents per hull I can recover $2.50 to $3.00 from an $9.20 box of shells. That brings it closer to the $5.50 I pay for 12 gauge.

I always seem to calculate costs and then ignore them if it is something I WANT to do. I probably have some insecurity issue that needs feeding. In the end, going with 28 gauge seems like something I'm going to do. Now, to decide between short and long tubes.

Larry

340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506 |

To sign up as a Bonus Member, click HERE.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

GrandpasArms wrote:
I appreciate this post because I'm right at the cusp of shooting 28 gauge. I have a nice 12 gauge SxS RBL that is itching for a set of tubes. Yes, the 28s are more costly, but I can save the hulls and sell them to offset the cost differences. At ten cents per hull I can recover $2.50 to $3.00 from an $9.20 box of shells. That brings it closer to the $5.50 I pay for 12 gauge.

I always seem to calculate costs and then ignore them if it is something I WANT to do. I probably have some insecurity issue that needs feeding. In the end, going with 28 gauge seems like something I'm going to do. Now, to decide between short and long tubes.

Larry

I absolutely endorse companion full length tubes. Less clean-up, improved weight distribution. 28 gauge makes for less recoil, more efficiecy.

Psalm 18:34

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:31 pm 
Limited Edition

In answer to the original question, yes I do. How do I like it, I love it. I find that at five stand I might give away the farthest target sometimes on a true double that is a Teal falling away. Other than that, I shoot the same scores +- a bird. In skeet, my best score 98 was with the 28 gauge. I do not shoot competitively, but I did shoot one NSSA event and all my subgauge scores were better than my 12 gauge. I reload and love shooting the subgauge. Nothing better than sitting on the trap field with a 28 gauge and beating good shooters with a 12 gauge. If you are shooting to enjoy it, and have a reloader, then buy some longshot, shot, wads and have fun. Get a little faster F.P.S on the Sporting Clays round and get out there.

You wouldn't have hit that with a 10 gauge!