It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skeet and automation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Please bare with me as I know little about skeet. I shot several rounds last month and really enjoyed it.
Our local club just offers trap. We operate on a honor system with voice activated throwers which suits me because I often shoot alone during the week and don't need a partner. The club is getting very close to adding a skeet field. My question is- can a skeet field be completely automated where one person can shoot without a puller/partner? The club I shot at last month did require a puller(correct term?) and I can see that as a problem for me especially if I would have to take my wife along :lol: . Any info is welcome.

Post subject: Re: skeet and automation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, there are voice activated pullers for skeet also. Both wired and wireless.

Although I have a Ventriloquist and love it, its a bit pricey. The Clay Delay is very popular as it offers all of the basic features/functions for a more reasonable cost and people have found them to be a good product. Good luck and welcome to the dark side (err...skeet)! LOL

http://www.claydelay.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:24 am 
Diamond Grade

I've had a Clay Delay wireless model, for about 3 years. It works just fine and enables me to shoot alone when I have to or want to. If you need it, their customer support is wonderful!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Yes, you can shoot skeet alone. My club has a Ventriloquist which throws clays on your call. Unfortunately ours does not work for doubles. I am not sure if they make one that does. Fun and good for practice but can get a little old quick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Canterbury voice release systems are available in both wired and wireless versions. They handle both singles and doubles. If your club is adding a skeet field, they should look at this system. The club I shoot at occasionally has the wireless version and they work fine. I like the fact that I can go to an unused field and shoot station practice by myself.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:27 pm 
Crown Grade

ERAD is a wireless system that allows you to shoot trap and skeet alone or with others.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:27 pm 
Crown Grade

We had the Canterbury wireless system. Fought it for 3-4 years and gave up on it. Too many issues with no birds / or birds launched from extraneous noise. We were practicing one day, trying to wring out some of the issues and one guy could not get a bird on station 6 for some reason. My dog was a few yards behind the station and barked at something - he got a bird.

Lots of folks use the clay delay system and like it. As I understand it, It is more of an individual thing though for practicing by yourself. It's not something you would want to use to run a squad.

One of Many

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John H wrote:
We had the Canterbury wireless system. Fought it for 3-4 years and gave up on it. Too many issues with no birds / or birds launched from extraneous noise. We were practicing one day, trying to wring out some of the issues and one guy could not get a bird on station 6 for some reason. My dog was a few yards behind the station and barked at something - he got a bird.

Lots of folks use the clay delay system and like it. As I understand it, It is more of an individual thing though for practicing by yourself. It's not something you would want to use to run a squad.

It is/was, but they also have a "squad puller" that can be used with it.
We have one each on the trap and skeet fields.
I just started out with the individual, practice wireless, and it grew.

Remember which party got us to where we are, (along with too many RINOs)!
VOTE!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The problems I've seen with Canterbury systems have all boiled down to problems with the trap machines and wiring issues. The VR units themselves have performed well.

Romans 8:1

Last edited by OldSkeeter on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:05 pm 
Limited Edition

I just ordered a deluxe skeet wireless clay delay yesterday. Heard nothing but good reviews. With the system and the adapter for my range it was just under $400, and that includes shipping also. Can't wait for it to get here now so I don't HAVE to bring someone with me to pull for me. Because they always want to shoot also and I don't really want someone always shooting one of my new shotguns. And it's more of a pain always cleaning 2 guns compared to just one. They are both new so I clean the hell out of them after every shoot. Ahhhhh sweet freedom the clay delay will bring me!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Old Skeeter, Missoula's problems with their Canterbury units had nothing to do with wiring or the traps. Seattle also had them with poor success. Missoula fortunately set up the purchase with a 100 % return guarantee. I have shot on them and some worked at times but then would not. The last year, they received a second receiver for each field and I shot on a field as a trial run. Four of us were on the field (token fed system) and we ran out of targets at station 4. They pulled them off the field and sent them back.

JohnH, we use our Clay delay wireless to pull squads at Wenatchee fairly often. It is particularly handy in the winter so you don't have to be dragging a cord through the snow. There is a manual button on the top of the unit that will fire the house you choose. They also have a squad puller wireless system but I do not know if it interchanges with the autopuller.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chic, I had the older version controller/reciever, but I was assured that it would be compatible with the squad puller. And so it was!!! The whole club used it, and anyone that wants, can still hook up the original transmitter and shoot alone.

We just adapted it with the same plugs as the wired cord sets, so in a pinch, dead batteries or other problems, the cords still work. Only used once since, when someone was scared to try a new battery when it wouldn't work right off for them. That's the nine volt on the reciever, as yet, we are still on the original battery for the squad pullers. And they furnished at least five of those batteries with each. Must be six spares, as I believe they use two each in the Squad Pullers.

Worked out great, I donated the first unit to the club, and they ordered the next one.
Both fields are now wireless, but only one at a time can be run with the original voice release for a single shooter alone.

Great product, great people to work with!
I always talk to Bill Kray himself, his lady on the phone is great as well, but with my hearing problem, I just can't understand her. She talks very fast, and such just runs all together for me.

Remember which party got us to where we are, (along with too many RINOs)!
VOTE!

NRA Benefactor