It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skeet by Myself
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:10 am 
Utility Grade

I'm a trap shooter, so please don't laugh if this is an obvious question...

I mostly shoot trap on weekdays when there's very few people at the club. The skeet fields are almost always unused. When I'm there and want to shoot trap, no problem because all of the trap fields have voice-activated release systems.

I want to try shooting skeet--is it possible to shoot it alone? I don't think our skeet fields at the club have anything analogous to the voice-activated systems the trap fields do.

Post subject: Re: Skeet by Myself
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:41 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Ask if they have the Clay Delay system. It is a wearable wireless system.

If not a friend stepped on the buttons. I hung the controller on a gun cart handle and pushed the buttons with my left hand, I shoot right handed. We both shot low gun.

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:12 am 
Diamond Grade

A wireless Clay Delay Autopuller is exactly what you need.

Go here: www.claydelay.com.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Last winter I learned to hold the controller next to the forearm and self pull. I wrapped it in a glove to prevent it from damaging the wood.
The clay delay is the way to go though. You should be able to unplug the clubs cable and plug in the clay delay. When done just put the cable back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I find that using any of the voice activated systems work, but can be a little frustrating. I usually only use one, a Ventriloquist, when I want to practice a specific shot. If you miss and will shoot an option of one of the machines doesn't throw or throws a broken bird, the auto sequencing, H / L / D can be a nuisance. Really great for working one station and bird at a time and OK for trying to get through a round without fiddling.

Fortunately though there are usually a lot of guys at our club during the week so pulling for yourself is not that often needed.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:45 am 
Presentation Grade

rkittine wrote:
I find that using any of the voice activated systems work, but can be a little frustrating. I usually only use one, a Ventriloquist, when I want to practice a specific shot. If you miss and will shoot an option of one of the machines doesn't throw or throws a broken bird, the auto sequencing, H / L / D can be a nuisance. Really great for working one station and bird at a time and OK for trying to get through a round without fiddling.

Fortunately though there are usually a lot of guys at our club during the week so pulling for yourself is not that often needed.

Bob

I didn't know anyone really used the auto-sequencing features of the clay delay or ventriloquist. I practice alone with a clay delay several times a week and always just tap the appropriate arming button when reaching in my pouch for shells. It takes zero time and I don't even know I'm doing it anymore. Avoids any no-bird issues too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:59 am 
Diamond Grade

Same here - I do get the occasional "false pull" from the report of another gun in the vicinity, but even this is rare and can be tamed somewhat with the CD's volume sensitivity settings. Even when it happens, the only time it really kills you is if you are using a coin box system - then can be a real PITA.

My biggest single issue with auto pullers is that its very easy to get into bad habits and reinforce them without the human element to keep your head in it. An auto puller will happily let you shoot 200 miserable birds in two hours or less - it's not going to analyze your misses and offer suggestions. When I first started using mine I would occasionally get caught up in a frenzy of missing, repeating, and frustration. You also have the tendency to shoot way to fast - you can bang out a round of skeet in about 10-15 minutes and I've come to the conclusion that it's not a good thing.:) Bottom line is that they are great tools, but you do have to exercise a modicum of discipline to get the most out of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

10 to 15 minutes isn't bad. A round of skeet with a squad is supposed to take 20 mins.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

KennyPowers wrote:
rkittine wrote:

Bob

I didn't know anyone really used the auto-sequencing features of the clay delay or ventriloquist. I practice alone with a clay delay several times a week and always just tap the appropriate arming button when reaching in my pouch for shells. It takes zero time and I don't even know I'm doing it anymore. Avoids any no-bird issues too.

I'm with Kenny on this one...have had a Ventriloquist for years (long before Clay Delay was available) and I don't believe I have ever used the sequence feature.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

I made my own "Clay Delay" with an Arduino microcontroller, LCD display, voice activated switch, garage door opener electronics and relay box.

Got 90% done with it and decided to go cheap. I use a 100 foot 3 prong extension cord stowed on a reel, a lever microswitch mounted on velcro to my stock and a home made 2 switch box that routs the switch closure to the high hot, low hot and when both levers are in the up position, both hot (doubles). I already had the switches, box and wires so I just had to buy the extension cord and cord reel. I also use the extension cord for the leaf blower and hedge trimmer.

I've been using that set up for the past 3 years on almost every outing because weekday afternoons are almost always empty on the skeet field. I may go back to the homemade "Clay Delay" only because it was fun to program and see how many features I could add like variable and selectabel delay plus it was cordless.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

Too many options, makes these things difficult to program easily!