Shotgun Forum banner

Left to right?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  cfoster 
#1 ·
Lately I've been having trouble hitting any of the left to right crossers from high house. From station 2-6. I shoot right handed and right eye dominate. I'm smashing low house and right to left crossers are not a problem. I'm staying in the stock so I'm not pulling face off. Anyone had this issue or have any advice? I just can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks

#2 ·
There are some really good coaches and experts on this board, and I'm sure you'll get some great responses. For me, when I start missing identifiable patterns of targets (i.e. Lots of low or high houses), it is usually my left eye taking over. I have fairly neutral dominance and my left eye gets stronger on occasion, fatigue, stress, etc. I can usually fix it by squinting just a bit, or using a dot on my lens.

It could also be a bunch of other things (foot position, stopping the gun, bad start point, look point, gun fit etc). Visit the NSSA webpage and see if there are any instructors near by. An hour with someone watching can save a bunch of time sending lead downrange.

#3 ·
Do you have access to a gun camera? It might reveal the issue. I'm right handed, and have found that it's really important for me to focus on getting a good start on the flash for the left to right targets - even for high 5 or 6, where you might think you can be a little lazy on the start, as you have a lot of time to establish the correct lead. But if you don't get a good start, you will not establish a sustained lead early enough, which can lead to shooting the target with something akin to a "swing through", which is a lower probability technique. I learned this by watching video from a shotkam. Thinking about it, I'm right handed, and a baseball swing from the right side of the plate seems natural - maybe this is why I'm deadly on low house crossers, but have to focus on the good start for the high house birds.

#6 ·
Without seeing you shoot, it is hard to say. Since it seems to happen consistently on stations 2-6, I would hazard a guess that it may be foot position. Sounds like you could be running out of body rotation and that is slowing your swing. You might try rotating your foot position a bit to the right. That will allow your body to rotate more to the right. Generally, a good starting point for right-handed shooters is facing the low house window ("belly button to the window").

If you have a qualified instructor at your club, have him/her watch you shoot a round. That's the quickest and best way to identify the issue.

#8 ·
Bet you may actually be slightly centrally dominant. Try turning your head far enough to the left to insure that the right eye initially picks up the target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.