It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Longest break you ever took away?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Walked off mid Sept from our state shoot and have not touched a gun other than deer hunting in 3 months now.

For the last 15 years or so that has never happened. Not loaded any shells. Not touched a thing related to skeet. Not bought any thing. Last 2-3 Clay Target Nation mags lay where it was thrown when delivered, unread.

The longer I go the easier it seems to just not go back. Missed friendships will drag me back soon I am sure. The politics of the registered game and the cost versus perceived rewards put a severe damper on any enthusiasm I still hold.

Retired 12-31-15. Seems to have opened up a whole new world of things to do that I really never had time to enjoy.

That pretty common? I wonder how many before me have felt the same?

I figure its like we all think where we worked will severely miss you.....they don't and things just go forward with one less.

The words of my late best friend, Eye Missum.......I miss him at every skeet shoot.

Post subject: Re: Longest break you ever took away?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I took a whole summer off of registered skeet a couple years ago, and only shot practice a couple times over the whole summer.

Came back with a little different game plan (I haven't bothered to travel outside of NYS since, so no big shoots for me anymore except when the US Open cycles here) and outlook on skeet, still don't have nearly the interest or ambition I used to though, I'm shooting about 1/2 the registered shoots I used to, and 1/3 to 1/4 the practice.

NSSA raising standards a few years ago REALLY took the wind out of my sails, and I've not shot standards since or plan to shoot standards any time soon. Back when standards were 8 shoots, I'd have 5 or 6 local shoots, and 2 or 3 travel shoots. Sometimes that last travel shoot I needed I didn't REALLY want to go to, but I did to get enough targets. Now we have the same 5 or 6 local shoots, most of the near (6 or less hours) travel shoots I went to are gone or not worth the trip anymore, and to try and get standards now would cost at least 2-3 grand more on 10 shoots than 8 used to.

Right now I've only shot maybe 10 rounds since the end of august, and none in the past month or so. Shot the club championship at the end of september, and a few rounds with my Ithaca 37 20ga, and that's been about it. I begged off the winter league this year, and really don't have any plans to pick the gun up again until march or april. Playing around with handguns right now, and really not missing skeet much at this point. Couple guys @ the club today were talking about shooting the league this wknd, and I was ELATED that I didn't have to go for the first time in years.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cbxchris wrote:
Walked off mid Sept from our state shoot and have not touched a gun other than deer hunting in 3 months now.

This happens with me every grouse season. I stop shooting at the club and spend any daylight hours chasing the dogs and grouse.

cbxchris wrote:
The longer I go the easier it seems to just not go back.

This year is the first year that I noticed this, you hit the nail on the head! I primarily shoot low gun skeet (we call it Vintage Skeet) with my field guns. Ever since our club put "voice activated" pulling system on the skeet field, I find myself shooting ALONE... 90% of the time. SO, unless I have a few hours to kill on that side of town, I'm finding other things to do with my time.

cbxchris wrote:

That pretty common? I wonder how many before me have felt the same?

I figure its like we all think where we worked will severely miss you.....they don't and things just go forward with one less.

Every year when I'm spending time chasing the dogs and deer, I contemplate cutting back on club memberships and cleaning out the gun cabinet to get to those few gems that I shoot well. (I would probably shoot best if I kept only one shotgun/rifle/handgun)... AND... the thought usually goes away by the first week of January after the bird and deer seasons have ended and WAITING season begins.

IMHO... Take a break for a while and when the Spring weather comes around, you'll be interested in burning some powder.

Maggs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:33 am 
Presentation Grade

I haven't shot a round of skeet in nearly a year. My last registered shoot was my club championship in Oct 2015, which I won for the 3rd straight year. Personal issues kept me from the gun club for a few months after that, then I just had no desire to return. I thought I would dive into sporting clays, but didn't enjoy that as much either. Some things happened in my life that just sucked the enjoyment of everything shotgun related and I just walked away. All of the crappy politics at National doesn't help me either.

I've sold two of my shotguns and have 2 more for sale in the classifieds here. I don't plan on shooting anymore and it gets easier the longer I'm away.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
NSSA raising standards a few years ago REALLY took the wind out of my sails, and I've not shot standards since or plan to shoot standards any time soon.

When NSSA raised the standards a few decades ago it took much of the wind out of my sails. When my skeet club was forced to move it took even more wind out of my sails.

I always thought I'd come-back after all my kids completed college. I've started a few come-back tours, but quickly lost interest each time. I'll keep my casual pace until I get my 50 year pin. The tortoise won the race.

Last edited by ShowMe on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:58 am 
Presentation Grade

To add to my previous post: I have a lot more money in my pocket now, too. I'm buying a new bicycle today ( I used to race before I started shooting) with the money I've saved from not shooting. I need to get my large rear posterior back into fighting shape.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:42 am 
Crown Grade

Chris - I've found a fall break from skeet is a great elixir to restore enthusiasm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:17 pm 
Crown Grade

I went from 1974 to 1984 without a registered bird. I was not a serious shooter and only shot a few in 1974. In 1984, I signed up for a shoot at Loch Raven Skeet and Trap. Several shooters wanted to know "where I was last week". Not many faces had changed. That situation is way different now. I can go to a shoot and hardly know anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

I took 30-years off, due to career and family obligations.
Do I regret it?
Yes, from my skeet career I do. But only that skeet career.
I am older now. Thus, I hope I am able to keep important values in better perspective......
Had I stuck with it, I'd likely be a much better shooter today - no doubt about it. But, my kids and grandkids have memories and influence from their "pappy" they would not otherwise have had.
Would I change anything? NO.
But, I am still fighting to make a "one-of-a kind" comeback. Look out Bender! Look out LP! Look out, McCannon! "Pops Farmer" is on the comeback..... (well, in my dreams).

Last edited by Rebel Sympathy on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:50 pm 
Crown Grade

my longest break from skeet? I think I'm on it right now, about 3 weeks since last time I shot. It will end tonight, Thursday night league!

(Actually, I had about a 14 year break, not shooting from 1997 to 2011.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Never pick up a skeet gun between Nov & Mar. It's been as long as Sep-Mar, as I don't have a place to shoot practice w/in 100 miles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

I stopped shooting registered at the end of 2014. Have not really missed it. I shoot with friends about 3 times a week, and sometimes that is too much.
I still enjoy the game, but just not as excited about it as I used to be. I'm 73 with some health issues, so that is probably part of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

I quit shooting all kinds of competitive skeet in 1993. After more than 33 years I just got tired of the grind. Now when I look back, I really can't believe I punished myself like I did for so long.

I never found shooting skeet enjoyable per se. My satisfaction came from competing and sometimes winning. Would I start again? No way Jose! The closest I get to a skeet range these days is to teach or coach, but even then my motivation is on a pretty short fuse depending on the circumstances and the interest of the person wanting my help.

What keeps me in shooting at all is the challenge of trap shooting in all its forms. I'd never get tired of that, especially Olympic trap. There are no gimme targets in trap.

Test all theories at their limits - Enrico Fermi
Happiness is a good steak, an excellent Malbec and blood glucose levels under 7.0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 am 
Crown Grade

Old_Diabetic_100 wrote:
I just got tired of the grind.

Interesting choice of words. I heard several shooters that left registered shooting use that term in the last few years, and many others stated the same sentiment with different words. "Death March" was another term used.

Last edited by ShowMe on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Like LoGun I had a ten year lapse, from 1996 till 2006, but still have not shot a round of registered since 1996. I shoot two or three times a week, but only one of the guys I shot with has any interest in registered skeet and he works shift work and has to miss most of them. There is only one place on Long Island that I know of that is holding registered shoots and they only seem to do two a year. I had heart surgery during the first one and no energy during the second. When I lived in the south we had a regular 5 man squad that would travel all over to lots of shoots and in those days there was no money, just plaques, buckles etc. so the shoots were much more affordable. I really want to try to get back into the registered routine in 2017 if the pace maker I getting on January 10th does what the doctor claims it will.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

ShowMe wrote:
Old_Diabetic_100 wrote:
I just got tired of the grind.

Interesting choice of words. I heard several shooters that left registered shooting use that term in the last few years, and many others stated the same sentiment with different words.

I can only speak for myself. Serious competitive shooting at a world class level requires an enormous commitment of time, energy and particularly mental application notwithstanding the monetary cost and sacrifice made to and by others. The stress of qualifying to represent a country year after year eventually took its toll. There are more important things in life once you have given shooting your best shot.

Test all theories at their limits - Enrico Fermi
Happiness is a good steak, an excellent Malbec and blood glucose levels under 7.0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:28 pm 
Field Grade

Mine began back in 2010.... :-)

Later,
Rick S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:56 am 
Diamond Grade

I stopped NSSA skeet the year Bobby D went against the wishes of the BOD for an increase in the target fees. It wasn't the money, it was the principle. So many good friends and memories are just that now...memories. I've shot a half dozen rounds of recreational skeet since but it's not the same.

I agree with the old diabetic, the drive to compete and win just isn't there anymore. Neither are the friends I used to shoot with and compete against. Now, after several years away I find there are more important things in life than the selfish drive to compete.

I salute those who are able to come back after a long hiatus, but for my part I'm just not willing to put the time in that I know it takes to be competitive.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm now 60 and have been shooting skeet off and on since I was 15. I competed in registered events as a teenager but mostly i have just shot recreationally. I took a break during my college years and then shot for most of the next 20 years. I took another break when I got into rifle competition and only shot 3 rounds in 14 years. I started in again last year and have been having lots of fun, shooting just for the pure pleasure of breaking clays and enjoying the company of the other retired guys, who also shoot just for the pure fun of it. I have no desire to compete 'cept for the low-key club championship that we have every year. I don't shoot to beat anyone and my shooting goal is only to stay somewhat proficient with a shotgun. I avg. about 94% and I'm happy with that.

With my rifle shooting, after awhile, I had my fill of competing and understand how something that used to be fun can become a grind and a chore.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:09 am 
Crown Grade

Rick S. wrote:
Mine began back in 2010.... :-)

Later,
Rick S.

:(