It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Longest break you ever took away?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

One year break away from shooting a single registered target. When I started the break I shot well enough to maintain AAA averages in all events. When you start getting a little impatient after shooting 14 99s in 5 straight shoots without a straight in the mix, its time to take a break, and rethink your priorities.

After the one year break, its never been the same. scores have been consistently dropping. I expect to maintain A or B class averages this next year, but the game is so much more enjoyable when you don't give a sh*t.

I just shot my 18,804 (or so) low 8 last week. Can't remember if I saw it out, or even if I hit it. I'd bet I missed it! Its really not that important in the grand scheme of things.

I do enjoy shooting with my friends and helping others try and figure it out.

"San Antonio - It has the rich history, culture, even the romance of the river walk. Its like being in Paris - except you can shoot shotguns and eat tamales until you hurl."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Notenuffchoke, sounds like the break was a great idea. When the thing one does for fun and relaxation becomes a goal-oriented fixation, takes up tons of time, and is only fun when you're winning or shooting 100 straights, it's a good idea to take a step back. That's what I had to do with my rifle competitions. I won't put in the time or effort needed to be a top skeet shot and I'm content shooting a 25 or 50 straight once in a while. It's so much more fun for me to shoot with other shooters rather than against them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:08 am 
Crown Grade

Notenuffchoke - Be glad you could throttle back and enjoy it. Been there, do that. But so many can't.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:17 pm 
Field Grade

I'm coming back after 20 years
Sold all my guns ( 3 Perazzis with tube sets) among other things to start a business.
Just sold,the company in August and have time for shooting and Grandkids.
Sandblasting the rust off now. Sport has changed significantly as have ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I spent about 10 years as Secretary/Treasurer of the Pennsylvania Skeet Shooting Association, probably about the same as the clay target chairman of our sportsmen's club, ran registered shoots at our club, with my wife (the brains) ran the PA State Shoot for 8-9 years I think, back before computer programs, all while shooting registered shoots in many different states. I finally said I could do no more. I walked away from shooting and didn't pick up a gun for 15 years. In 2003 I retired to Florida for the winters and stopped in our gun club down here. I rented a gun, bought some shells and shot 4 rounds of skeet. I shot a 98 and said I had forgotten how easy this was. I haven't shot that well since. The next winter I returned with a car load of ammo and my guns and started again. I still have no interest in shooting registered birds. That, I doubt, will ever come back. But, I shoot with my friends for bragging rights and am having a great time.

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:30 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm running up on my NSSA Fifty Year Pin with targets each year. I don't expect a break before I get that. After that? Who knows?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:04 am 
Crown Grade

Returned last week to some practice. Felt good to be back, see some friends. Its amazing how one may forget a few hold points so quickly and takes a few rounds to get back in sync.
Now I am ready for winter to be gone.........

The words of my late best friend, Eye Missum.......I miss him at every skeet shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:32 pm 
Crown Grade

I have been part of competition oriented gun clubs since 1958, quit NSSA birds for 10 years in 1974, but continued my relationship with the shooters and the clubs to this day. While shooting or not shooting NSSA birds, I have shot registered International Skeet, registered NSCA, and a few flyers, and continued building my collection of competition shotguns. When National Capital Skeet and Trap closed a few years ago, I followed the North South to Prince Georges Trap and Skeet, and now to the Damascus Izaak Walton League. I managed National Capital for a time before military service and am in my 58th year with NC and the North South. I guess I'll stick with it a while longer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:38 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm in it now. Shoot sporting, don't keep score, laugh my butt off with every miss, and just keep coming back for more. I may shoot a skeet league this year, but just because I miss those skeet shooting buddies.

I like social skeet shooting where we laugh and cut up and just enjoy the day. Not into 4 round grind it and then do it again for two or two and half days. I do miss the people, great folks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Mismost wrote:
I'm in it now. Shoot sporting, don't keep score, laugh my butt off with every miss, and just keep coming back for more. I may shoot a skeet league this year, but just because I miss those skeet shooting buddies.

I like social skeet shooting where we laugh and cut up and just enjoy the day. Not into 4 round grind it and then do it again for two or two and half days. I do miss the people, great folks.

Your last paragraph says volumes in SO many ways.......and you didn't even mention the added cost.

The words of my late best friend, Eye Missum.......I miss him at every skeet shoot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:32 am 
Presentation Grade

I just ended my longest break. I didn't touch a shotgun for nearly a year and didn't shoot a registered shoot for 16 months. I shot in a registered 4X50 at my club yesterday. I had a great time, saw and shot with some good friends I made over the years and froze my butt off. All in all, a good day and my shoulder is pretty sore today.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:55 am 
Crown Grade

As I sit here reading this morning I had thought should I go practice. I have once again not shot in over a month and have no desire to go pay 250 bucks to compete. My home field has not been used since mid sept of last year. I did mow it this week and fertilize it. Other than friends there is no reason to go. Nice and warm in the shop too. That's really sad. People and their goals change as life goes forward.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I was the clay target manager of our local sportsman for over ten years while also being the Secretary/Treasure of the Pennsylvania Skeet Shooting Association and helping my wife in running the PSSA State Shoot. I finally "burnt out". I said I would take a year off of anything shooting. Fifteen years later I picked up the shotgun again and remembered how much fun it was. I also learned how fifteen years off could destroy vision and reflexes as well as the desire to compete. I am now shooting for fun and bragging rights with my shooting buddies here in Florida and enjoying shooting more than I ever did.

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Couple of former shooters showed up at Missouri's first shoot of the year - one was a former state HOA champ who'd dropped skeet for 13 years. The other is a former Junior All American, whose break was over 40 years. Both shot quite respectably!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Cbxchris - been reading through a lot of posts. You've been checked out for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, I shot skeet competitively in college, and just shot a round with my hunting gun, a sxs 20 ga with 26 in barrels Sunday, which was my second round since 1979. I think that is 38 years. I broke 23, by the way.