It is currently Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skeet Shooter Numbers Have Been Climbing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:46 am 
Utility Grade

According to NSSA’s latest figures, in 2016 Zone 4 threw 1.9 million registered targets, compared to 2015's 1.7 million. That’s an increase of 10.4%, despite extensive hurricane damage in Florida that caused the cancellation of two large shoots late last year.

Speaking of Florida, several Top-100 shoots take place there every year. Interest remains high, new shooters (including youths and ladies) are entering the game, and shoots are filling up so fast that already at least one (The 54th Dixie) has adjusted their rotations "to accommodate more shooters."

Post subject: Re: Skeet Shooter Numbers Have Been Climbing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:01 am 
Crown Grade

that's great news!! Keep up the good work!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:00 am 
Crown Grade

Personally I think a few of the shoots in NC have gotten a little larger(especially at bragg), about the same at Durham. Dropped at other places......there may be a small target thrown increase but overall it shows no improvement in the skeet game as far as member retention and participation in NC. I know many of us go a great deal to Southern VA where prices seem in control a little more. Those targets of course would not be counted in zone 4. The new format being attempted this year for the zone 4 (internet)shoot may increase numbers. I have issues where there will be possible weather differences in locations but I will say its good to see the organization making a effort to try something new. Thumbs up for that.

As we have seen nation wide the larger shoots appear to be doing fine and possibly with some increases. The smaller shoots have dwindled and are not held any more or are much smaller. That holds great implications down the road. That has positively happened in NC. Basically we are down to 2-3 clubs. That in itself is some of the reason for the shoots we have growing or holding their own.

Wish I could say differently but that is my opinion as to the reality of the game.

The words of my late best friend, Eye Missum.......I miss him at every skeet shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:20 am 
Crown Grade

cbxchris wrote:

As we have seen nation wide the larger shoots appear to be doing fine and possibly with some increases. The smaller shoots have dwindled and are not held any more or are much smaller.

That would be my observation as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am trying to revive some Registered Targets Only shoots on Long Island. The small numbers mean no big cash prices and entrance fees are too high for most of the casual shooters, so staying low cost may help.

When I lived in Louisiana, we partnered up with other clubs and spread out the shoots by gauge. One club with one gauge on a Saturday and another with a different gauge on Sunday and then the other two gauges the following weekend with maybe doubles thrown in.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:02 am 
Crown Grade

cbxchris wrote:

As we have seen nation wide the larger shoots appear to be doing fine and possibly with some increases. The smaller shoots have dwindled and are not held any more or are much smaller.

And that is a manifestation of the "points system". If you want points, you must go where the points are.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:54 pm 
Utility Grade

cbxchris wrote:
...there may be a small target thrown increase but overall it shows no improvement in the skeet game as far as member retention and participation in NC.
Last year North Carolina threw 276,554 registered targets, a 7.7% increase over the previous year.

cbxchris wrote:
...The new format being attempted this year for the zone 4 (internet)shoot may increase numbers. I have issues where there will be possible weather differences in locations but I will say its good to see the organization making a effort to try something new. Thumbs up for that.
Zone 6 has run an iZone shoot for two years now; 2016 achieved their best total participation ever with an increase of 20% over 2015. The officers of Zone 4 are hard at work researching the various factors involved in holding a similar shoot. There are a lot of pros and cons to be weighed, so please contact your State and Zone officers with your opinions and suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Zone4Skeet wrote:
Last year North Carolina threw 276,554 registered targets, a 7.7% increase over the previous year.

By last year, do you mean Skeet Year 2016? If so, that was a 14 month year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:14 pm 
Crown Grade

ShowMe wrote:
Zone4Skeet wrote:

Boy, it would just kill you if there was an increase in skeet targets shot, wouldn't it? You just have to try to poo poo anything positive anybody says about skeet!!

Seriously, how many of those additional targets were shot in November or December of either year? I am sure it is miniscule!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:52 pm 
Crown Grade

How many skeet shooters in NC shoot registered? Or at least how many shooters shot those registered targets? Any idea how that compares to the trap and sporting clays targets and shooters in NC? Would be interesting to see the comparisons.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:22 pm 
Crown Grade

6 days after the new year and the NSSA has released 2016 numbers on target numbers?

The words of my late best friend, Eye Missum.......I miss him at every skeet shoot.

Last edited by cbxchris on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:34 pm 
Crown Grade

John Henry wrote:
ShowMe wrote:
Zone4Skeet wrote:

Boy, it would just kill you if there was an increase in skeet targets shot, wouldn't it? You just have to try to poo poo anything positive anybody says about skeet!!

Seriously, how many of those additional targets were shot in November or December of either year? I am sure it is miniscule!!

Our mid summer shoots at Bragg did GREAT. Nothing special in the spring. The state shoot was off due to a number of no shows which is why we probably are going back to a deposit system again. Durham's numbers were slightly off or stagnant.Old Hickory had fair numbers for the pig picking and depressing numbers for the state open. Other than that there are no other major shoots in the state that draw routinely over 20-25 shooters if that. Rowan will not hold the state jr shoot or any registered events. Within the last 5-6 years we have lost Buccaneer,Rowan and Rockingham. If I am not mistake Lejune has pulled out as well for 2017. You cannot lose clubs as that and continue with increases.

Last edited by cbxchris on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Recent adjustments to the figures make the increase 7.3% instead of the 7.7% previously stated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Your total numbers are off but there is a minor increase. Lejune has dropped out as well for 2017. I tend to think the current numbers are viable as long as we can keep the kids in Gastonia shooting and some members continue their daily registered targets. A decent economy is a must. We never recovered from 2008 as it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:11 am 
Crown Grade

Great picture of a couple of skeet shooting yutes. Can we identify them?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 am 
Utility Grade

lowgun wrote:
Great picture of a couple of skeet shooting yutes. Can we identify them?
Thank you, their parents will need to be consulted first.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:25 pm 
Crown Grade

cbxchris wrote:
6 days after the new year and the NSSA has released 2016 numbers on target numbers?

And there is a notice out of shoots which have not reported, so that number can only go up!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:27 pm 
Crown Grade

cbxchris wrote:
Your total numbers are off but there is a minor increase.

Did he do the math wrong from the product he posted above, or are you using a different product with total targets on it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:31 pm 
Crown Grade

ShowMe wrote:
cbxchris wrote:

And that is a manifestation of the "points system". If you want points, you must go where the points are.

I think you over estimate that! There are very few if any points in the VA state shoot, and yet it is a very nice size shoot. At Richmond this year, so we should see about 150 or so shooters.

People often say they go to shoots because of the people. Well, there are more people to socialize with at Big Shoots! The more, the merrier!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:13 pm 
Utility Grade

ShowMe wrote:
That's true. During the extra two months, two clubs each scheduled two "monthly targets" events. Of those four shoots, one has been formally cancelled and the other three have, at this time, reported a total of 300 targets thrown. Subtracting those targets from the "CURR YR TGTS" would lower the adjusted increase from 7.3% to 7.2%