It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Skeet Shooter Numbers Have Been Climbing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Has anyone done analysis of the positive market change?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:29 pm 
Utility Grade

cbxchris wrote:
6 days after the new year and the NSSA has released 2016 numbers on target numbers?
Yes, a "running" total subject to adjustment as shoot reports are received and reviewed.

cbxchris wrote:
Your total numbers are off but there is a minor increase.
The numbers on the chart are provided by the NSSA. If they are off, the NSSA should be notified so that corrections can be made.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:37 pm 
Crown Grade

LG wrote:
Has anyone done analysis of the positive market change?

Different market segments see different patterns of change.

Frequent Flyers and denizens of the top shoots likely think things are fine.

Shooters that generally attend shoots at one or two clubs are especially affected when one or both of those clubs abandon registered shooting.

I like the medium sized shoots. They have been especially affected, losing many of their regional point motivated shooters to shoots with more point potential, and losing the other end of their market to Monthly Targets.

Of the shoots that made my ‘short list’ in 2016, three were cancelled, one changed to a 4x50 format, and one dropped below critical mass and will be a 4x50 in 2017. A shoot that was substituted for one of the cancelled shoots is in doubt for 2017, and as are all of the shoots at that club.

One of the shoots I attended was below 30 shooters in the 12 gauge. In 2003 it had 65 shooters, 53 shooters in 2008.

12 gauge numbers from my state shoot –
2003 – 225
2008 – 195
2016 - 162

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Zone4Skeet wrote:
cbxchris wrote:
6 days after the new year and the NSSA has released 2016 numbers on target numbers?
Yes, a "running" total subject to adjustment as shoot reports are received and reviewed.

cbxchris wrote:
Your total numbers are off but there is a minor increase.
The numbers on the chart are provided by the NSSA. If they are off, the NSSA should be notified so that corrections can be made.

The total on the chart is 270,204 and 250515. That was my reason for mentioning the numbers as first stated were off.

We will see what 2017 in NC holds for us in growth soon. We are down to 5 active clubs(tourney dates) at the moment.

Where could one get the last ten years or so of targets thrown in NC?

The words of my late best friend, Eye Missum.......I miss him at every skeet shoot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:13 pm 
Crown Grade

cbxchris wrote:
Where could one get the last ten years or so of targets thrown in NC?

Is it possible to search the Shoot reports by state?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:59 pm 
Utility Grade

This data is available online at the NSSA site;

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 am 
Crown Grade

That's about what I was thinking for the state closed. Fairly flat with a few bumps up and down. I thought we had one year with over 140 total entries but I must be wrong. The graph does not include total entries which is a bit unfair as more than those shown attend. I was one myself two years ago. Doubles only. Soccer and life got in the way. :roll:

As edit, I guess total target numbers for years without a great deal of digging is a tough one. I have looked several places. I am not wanting to down any one or anything. I am just interested in seeing what the actual health of skeet is in our state.

The words of my late best friend, Eye Missum.......I miss him at every skeet shoot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I like the way he showed it. 12 Ga is always the largest event at our state shoot. And HOA shows the number of 4-gun shooters.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, guys. 'Total Entries' would have been included but those numbers are not available on NSSA's website except as given in recent shoot reports. In 2015 and 2016 the numbers were 94 and 96, respectively.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Was any of the increase due to existing shooters shooting more targets?

Small shoots/clubs are struggling. I hate to see it. We're losing more skeet shooters than gaining at most clubs in my area. Sporting Clays seems to gobble up the new guys, and the older guys understandably don't shoot nearly as much as they did. I still experience the "me and two other guys" phenomenon on Skeet night at our club - we typically open only one field now, and we have nice facilities. From what I've seen, I'd be happy to see "flat" but the reality is anything but. Trap continues to roll along...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:45 pm 
Crown Grade

How are the clubs and shoots doing in Alabama?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:53 pm 
Utility Grade

ShowMe wrote:
How are the clubs and shoots doing in Alabama?
According to NSSA, six Alabama clubs threw registered targets in 2015, seven in 2016. The total numbers were 137,105 in 2015 and 161,539 in 2016, for a year-to-year increase of 17.8%

As has been pointed out previously, NSSA's 2016 contained an extra two months. In Alabama that accounted for about 3,000 of the 24,000 target increase.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:43 am 
Crown Grade

thestumper informed us of the condition of the sport in his end of the Commonwealth.

On my side, east of the Susquehanna River/Route 15 corridor, in 2016 there were four clubs that threw registered targets.

*One threw only Monthly Targets;

*One threw once monthly Honors Only/Shooters Choice shoots;

*One scheduled three one day Targets Only+ shoots. One was cancelled due to a nor'easter.

*One scheduled two shoots, but one was cancelled.

In 2017 only the Monthly Targets and the once monthly Honors Only/Shooters Choice shoots are on the schedule at MYNSSA.com.

All of the once very well attended non-registered shoots have disappeared. The Central Pennsylvania Skeet League continues.

From the Susquehanna River to the Allegheny Shield there is only the State Shoot scheduled.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It is interesting that a 7% increase is referred to as a slight increase. If it had been a decrease the comment would have been about a drastic decrease foretelling the demise of registered skeet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:54 am 
Crown Grade

Minutes from the Oct-2016 B-o-D meeting state "memberships and targets are flat year to date".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

ShowMe wrote:
Minutes from the Oct-2016 B-o-D meeting state "memberships and targets are flat year to date".

Oh, thank goodness. For a minute there I had thoughts of the unthinkable.