It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drop at Comb... vs rib height
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi,
I'm currently looking into a trap special stock to put on my K-80 pro skeet.
The listed dimensions seem really good for me.
Quick question however: When stocks list a "drop at comb" does anyone know if this is taken from the top of the rib straight back or is it the base of the rib (ie. top of the receiver) and straight back.
The reason for my question is that the trap special has a higher rib than the pro (floating rib) found on the pro skeet. if the Trap Special stock says drop at comb is 1-1/2", would the drop at comb be the same if placed on the pro skeet rib?
To ask it another way, is the "drop at comb" measurement a standard measurement across all rib heights or is it dependent on the specific gun...... if it was measured from the top of the barrel / top of the receiver / base of the rib (before it ramps up) the drop would be a consistent measurement and rib height would be irrelevant.
Thanks everyone :)

Post subject: Re: Drop at Comb... vs rib height
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rollin should be along soon to answer your questions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:11 pm 
Crown Grade

place a yard stick on the rib, so that it extends down over the comb. Measure the distances from the yard stick to the comb. That is the droop at comb.

Usually drop at comb is given in two dimensions, the front and back. If it is a parallel comb, they will be the same. If it is a sporting style comb, it will have more drop in the back.

I have a Trap Special stock on a Pro Skeet, and it is a little higher than I would normally like for skeet. But it is great for trap!

The drop at comb listed by the factory would not be what you would see if you put it on a different configuration rib.......and K-80s come in more configurations than anything!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Check this out:

http://www.dupontkguns.com/blog/kriegho ... imensions/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

John Henry - that's exactly what I'm about to do... put a trap special right handed stock on my pro skeet k-80.
How much higher is the comb if you were to do your best measuring for me :) :)
I've got my #6 Pro Skeet comb up just a tad over 1/4" I'd estimate.
I've got a pretty substantial drop at heel with my Todd Nelson pad adjuster.
So all fit should be good, just wanted to understand the extra height with the trap special stock. I've got fairly high cheek bones.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

As previously stated, you can take a yard stick (or a long straight edge) and place it along the top of the rib, extending it to the recoil pad. You would then take a ruler from the bottom of the yard stick, and measure the distance to the top of the comb.

You can also flip the gun upside down on a flat surface up to the mid-bead so that it would lay perfectly flat on say, a desk. You could then measure the distance from the comb to the desk itself and get a ballpark reading.

As far as I am concerned, there are three measurements for drop on a shotgun stock that I measure and account for and write down at initial set up:

Drop at peak (very front of the comb)
Drop at comb (midway point of comb itself)
Drop at heel (measured at very end of recoil pad)

Most "American faces" need plenty of drop these days. Unless you have high cheek bones (as stated) and you are also thin, you can get away with just about anything. European faces are not the same as ours, at all. See articles from from Gil Ash referencing this topic; he has done much valuable research and more importantly, hands-on stock shaping with hundreds of his clients guns. This trumps anything people think on paper. Or here, for that matter.....

See the K-80 Parcours stock and the Mossberg 930 stock design and dimensions. That's a free plug for Gil, nothing in it for me but giving credit where credit is due and a source footnote.

It's been my experience in helping numerous target shooters set up their stocks that the vast right-handed majority are shooting high/left. Which equates to more drop at comb and more cast off to counteract modern American facial features. The most interesting part of all this is ironic at best; As most people are getting fatter, the stocks should be getting exponentially smaller as a result. But in fact, they seem to be getting thicker and higher, doing absolutely nothing to alleviate the problem. Enter the 4 way adjustable comb to solve the problem.
-Not so fast. Caveat emptor.

You're not a dyed in the wool shotgun shooter until you have taken a wood rasp and/or belt sander to your stock and "make it ugly to make it fit".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Kidd wrote:
John Henry - that's exactly what I'm about to do... put a trap special right handed stock on my pro skeet k-80.
How much higher is the comb if you were to do your best measuring for me :) :)
I've got my #6 Pro Skeet comb up just a tad over 1/4" I'd estimate.

If you have a pro skeet #6 comb raised 1/4 inch, the trap special should be about perfect with the comb all the way down.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"Perfect" depends on the person holding the gun. If a good cheek weld places your eye in line with the rib, then it is perfect. That of course would depend on the facial characteristics of the person holding the gun. Not everyone's face is the same so you can't say it is perfect.

You have to have the stock installed and check it for yourself. The measurements are drop at the Nose (forward end) and drop at the heel (rearward end).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:37 pm 
Field Grade

marshfield wrote:
Rollin should be along soon to answer your questions.

Speaking of Rollin, has anyone heard from him lately?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's cold in Wisconsin and my brain has slowed.

OP: When reading drop at the comb dimensions, if there three, the stock is a Monte Carlo design (the stock looks like it has a chunk of wood removed just in front of the recoil pad.

If the first two dimensions are the same, the stock has a parallel comb, ideal on all guns in my opinion, if the drop fits the shooter's facial characteristics.

If the there are only two dimensions the comb slopes. The difference in the two dimensions indicates the slope of the comb from the nose (front) to the "heel" or end of the stock (the larger the difference the more steeply the slopes).

A steep slope and a loose gun mount invites the comb to mash the cheekbone during the rearward gun travel during recoil.

The advantage of a greater difference in the drops from nose and heel (comb steepness) is that there is reduced forward or rearward cheek movement on the comb necessary to vertically align the eye with the rib.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I just ordered your book today on Amazon.

I bought a Beretta Multitarget A400, going to get a Wenig semi-inletted and tinker with a stock, just for fun!

John Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hope you enjoy the book, John.

You will find that you will need to finish the inletting on the stock si it fits your receiver. Hopefully you have some small chisels or a Dremel tool to work with.

When I used to finish them, I had only a Dremel tool but was able to convert a New American stock into onw with a rollover comb using only a Dremel tool.

Warning (from experience): Be careful during final sanding of the wrist of the stock where it meets the receiver. It is very easy to remove too much wood with the final sanding and make the wood flush with the receiver when it should remain proud.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384