It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Have you ever turned away a new shooter? Based on firearm.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:24 pm 
Field Grade

Hello all,

Had something that rubbed me the wrong way, curious if this is usual or are skeet shooters just too fancy for trap shooters? :lol:

Over the summer I finally upgraded shotguns. Went from a pump gun to a Beretta O/U. The O/U is called a "Trap" Model, but the only thing it has that normal guns don't is a raised rib. And its stock is a bit different than some, it has more of a pistol grip but not quite. It also has 30 inch barrels.
Pic of the Rib and stock.

Anyways. Ive grown up my whole life shooting trap, we just didn't have skeet ranges where I grew up. Now that I am in college we have a Skeet range that is about 90 miles from me. I got bored one saturday so I took a ride up to check it out. Got to the range but it wasn't that busy. They had 4 or 5 houses going but only one had shooters on it with a handful of shooters sitting in the club house.

Thought about giving it a try, Ive watched a few how to videos and did some reading but I still don't know how to go about skeet shooting. So I asked the guy at the counter if they had anyone or if he knew anyone that would be willing to just go out and maybe walk me through a round and give me a couple pointers. I offered to give them a little money or buy them a six pack for their time.

Guy running the counter said if he were me, he wouldn't waste his time, my shotgun would just hinder me at skeet. I said that was fine I just want to check it out, I drove XX miles and just wanted to try it, he said if I truly wanted he would let me have a house to myself but didn't know of anyone that could help me.

Ok so I understand my gun is not ideal for skeet, its not perfect for skeet or trap but it really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe its just the small farm town trap clubs I have grown accustomed too but I have seen younger guys my age with 24" Break barrel H&R shotguns on the trap field and the old timers there are HAPPY to still give them pointers. The old timers love talking to us younger shooters and are always throwing out tips.
Last year my old shotgun sh*t the bed during the middle of a round. A guy that was watching me noticed the pump froze so he ran out with his Perazzi and told me to finish the round. Sure I didn't shoot his gun worth a darn but its just the fact that I was able to finish and at least pick up a few more birds for my 10 week scores.

Needless to say that gun club won't get a penny from me. I was just curious if this was a common thing on skeet ranges?

Post subject: Re: Have you ever turned away a new shooter? Based on firea
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:51 pm 
Crown Grade

It's complete BS.

And no, that's not a common attitude at most of the skeet clubs I shoot at or have shot at. Definitely not an attitude you find at most Sporting clays courses.

If that guy represents the attitudes of others at his club, shake the dust off your feet and don't go back. Or if it's convenient to you- shoot there and ignore them.

You might have to "float the bird" a little if that gun shoots high, as many trap guns are set up to do, but that's something a lot of guys do. Same with Sporting clays.

Also a lot of guys use 30", and even 32" bbls. at Skeet.

That's a beautiful gun by the way, and welcome to SGW!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FF,

That was definitely not a typical situation you encountered (based on my experiences). Most people would gladly have offered to help and offer pointers regardless what type gun you have. Besides, I shoot skeet with a Citori XT Trap quite often and never have any such problems anywhere I go.

You just happened to run into a guy who was having a bad day. Your experience there was NOT typical. Don't be discouraged. Do a little searching on You Tube about skeet shooting and you'll learn the basics. Then try some other place. Good luck.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hmmm . . . I'm wondering if there aren't some details left out of that story . . .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ridiculous! Appears to be a Prevail Trap which has the same rib and comb set up at the A400 Parallel. That would make for a decent skeet gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:51 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Bladeswitcher wrote:
Hmmm . . . I'm wondering if there aren't some details left out of that story . . .

Me to.

What kind of choke tubes did you have and did the range guy ask what kind of chokes you had?

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree with the responses above:

1. This ain't a Ljutic Space Gun which is highly tailored for trap, but even if it was you can still shoot skeet with it, just won't be able to shoot doubles cause its a single barrel gun LOL

2. There really ain't a dime's worth of difference between a trap gun and a skeet gun. One may chose certain features more commonly for one game than the other (e.g. Monte Carlo stock for trap) and one may configure the point of impact for one or the other (skeet shooters tend to shoot flatter shooting guns but so what), but you can shoot either with either. I have friends who come out to shoot skeet with 34" Parker Pigeon guns with a choke tighter than...whatever. If they shoot loads acceptable to the club and are safe, who cares.

3. I have nothing but Monte Carlo (MC) stocks on my skeet guns because they fit me better. These are traditionally a trap style but many, many new skeet guns have custom fit MC stocks (particularly higher end guns and those with higher ribs).

4. Many, many manufacturer's of skeet guns now offer a higher rib that was once traditional to support a more erect head position. Look at the Kolar Skeet Max for an example.

5. Pretty much ever skeet gun has a pistol grip. You can shoot straight gripped stocks at skeet, but its uncommon.

I see nothing wrong with your gun and you just ran into a complete a-hole who thinks he knows more that he does.

Look...I see obvious hunter types bringing their field guns to the skeet range for practice and, again, as long as they are safe and competent in handling their gun they are welcomed on the field.

Sorry you had this experience.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

waverider wrote:
Bladeswitcher wrote:

Me to.

What kind of choke tubes did you have and did the range guy ask what kind of chokes you had?

Who cares what kind of chokes he had in his gun. He may handicap his score with too tight of chokes but that is no reason to make him feel unwanted.

There are a lot of people out there shooting older s x s on skeet fields with chokes so tight you can hardly see through them. They should, and generally are, still welcomed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:05 pm 
Crown Grade

the Beretta trap gun is a perfect skeet gun....High Rib, Parallel comb! I have two good friends who have them tubed, and they are sweet. I shot one for 2 weeks while my gun was in for annual, and they were teasing me about selling the Kolar and switching to the B-gun because I was running 50's with it.

One thing I noticed, both of them have the adjustable comb pushed way over to the right to get proper alignment on the beads, and that was where it fit me best, too..?? Perhaps they would fit the average shooter better with more cast off, and not need so much comb adjustment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:09 pm 
Crown Grade

flyfisher117 wrote:
Have you ever turned away a new shooter? Based on firearm.

Sure have........ a 9mm is not a good skeet gun :shock:

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:26 pm 
Field Grade

Honestly no other part of the story.. it was my first time visiting this range. I didn't go in blasting gangster rap, I don't wear my pants around my knees (wranglers won't go that low..) I wasn't hot rodding my pickup around the parking lot. Only reason he knew what gun I had was I set it in the gun rack right outside his little window.

He asked about chokes and I told him I am running my lightest chokes I own. one IC and one LM. Yea they aren't Skeet chokes but before I drop $100+ on chokes I want to give it a try first.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

FF117---++++1 for the first two responses. Just flush that conversation and keep on truckin'.

Good luck and good shooting---

B-R-S-I.COM
VA NSCA Delegate
NSCA Level 2, Instructor
NRA Level 2, Shotgun Coach
CSM/TRACS Instructor

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

" So I asked the guy at the counter if they had anyone or if he knew anyone that would be willing to just go out and maybe walk me through a round and give me a couple pointers. "

You should have just bought a couple flights and joined the shooters on the field. I doubt they would have the same attitude as the "guy behind the counter".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

That guy is a jerk, FF!
You will do fine. The gun has something to do with good shooting for sure. But I have shot with and beat guys with high dollar K-80's Berettas, Kolars, etc. with my Browning. I've also seen worn out Remington 1100s wear out some of those high dollar guns!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:46 am 
Utility Grade

The only time I've personally witnessed someone not being permitted to shoot at a skeet range was a guy who turned up with a tactical pump with no stock, a pistol grip, and an 18" barrel. The range in question had a posted rule regarding minimum barrel length, but the range manager offered a rental gun as an alternative. When the guy balked at that option, the range manager still permitted him to set up a paper target in an isolated area away from the skeet fields. Although he clearly didn't have to, I thought it was remarkable that the range manager was nice enough to make an effort to accommodate this guy.

Do NOT be deterred by the "gear heads" or elitists. My first opportunity to try skeet shooting was with a borrowed Winchester Model 12 pump with a full choke. Sure, it was not the ideal gun for skeet, but I still managed to break a few and was completely hooked.

I show up at the skeet or clays ranges in the area and run my Sears Ranger 12ga O/U or Stoeger Uplander 20ga SxS with no concern of what anyone else is shooting. Maybe some day I'll be able to justify a "nicer" shotgun, but until I'm breaking in the neighborhood of 80%, I'll just have to buckle down, work on fundamentals, and deal with having the Nash Rambler of shotguns. In the meantime, I still have a great time (despite being generally lousy); it could be worse, I could be playing golf!

Keep looking around for another club/range if it bothers you. Otherwise "run what you brung."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:20 am 
Tournament Grade

I've seen guys turned away because their shotgun didn't meet club standards (barrel(s) too short) but that's a safety issue. And for that matter, they weren't turned away, they were simply informed that they couldn't shoot the gun they brought but could rent a club gun instead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can certainly shoot skeet with that. Guy was a dufus.
However, to shoot skeet you have to wear a skirt.

NSSA Level 1 Skeet Instructor
NRA Certified RSO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

flyfisher117 wrote:
I asked the guy at the counter if they had anyone or if he knew anyone that would be willing to just go out and maybe walk me through a round and give me a couple pointers. I offered to give them a little money or buy them a six pack for their time . . .

Had you been drinking prior to this offer? . . . . Is it common for people to beg off of your requests? Do people avoid you generally? Do you have a lot of friends or do you find yourself alone much of the time? Has anyone ever taken out a restraining order on you? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, nor am I accusing you of anything, but the range staff's reaction is highly unusual. Either he's a total a$$ or there was something about you that made him want you to go away.

Was there a tournament going on while you were there? Maybe he took account of which shooters were on site and recognized that they weren't the kind to tolerate beginners. Perhaps he was the only one available to help you and couldn't leave his post . . . if either of these were true, he should have been upfront and explained the situation . . . Hell, maybe it was the end of the day and everybody was ready to leave when you showed up. Perhaps he just didn't want to bother . . . not excusable, but possible . . .

When something doesn't make sense, question your assumptions . . . there has to be some other explanation beyond him not liking your gun. That definitely makes no sense.

Last edited by Bladeswitcher on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:10 am 
Crown Grade

Helping coach a high school trap team, I have seen about every gun imaginable on the range.

Sometimes we will recommend a kid not use a particular gun, -light, hammer field gun, but will offer them a loaner gun. If they really want to shoot their gun, we let them go at it.

the only time we would ban a gun would be due to a safety issue, such as stock duct taped together, or obvious flaw in the gun.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:27 am 
Presentation Grade

Nice gun. Next time just ask to join a squad that is starting a new round.