It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: When Do You Start to Shoot Lighgter Loads?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sobrepuesta wrote:
clayaddiction wrote:
The 1oz. vs 1-1/8 oz. debate will probably go on forever.... I primarily shoot 1-1/8 at 1235, but I would switch to 1oz. in a heartbeat if I ever showed any signs of recoil related problems.

I'm gonna tell you that after about 6K rounds of 1 oz 1350 fps I started developing a flinch. Now my max speed for 1 oz loads is 1250, and I try to buy 1180 - 1200 fps as much as I can.

This is how I try to avoid needing release triggers:
Shot charge Max Speed
7/8 1350
1 1250
1 1/8 1185

I agree. If I was developing a flinch I would also be shooting 1oz. at 1250 or so. Up to this point I've been pretty successful shooting 1-1/8 without any issues from recoil. I'm very aware that this isn't the case for many shooters.

"Train like you have never won, compete like you have never lost."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

clayaddiction wrote:
The 1oz. vs 1-1/8 oz. debate will probably go on forever.... I primarily shoot 1-1/8 at 1235, but I would switch to 1oz. in a heartbeat if I ever showed any signs of recoil related problems.

You already shoot 1 oz for FITASC. My advice, as someone who's shot competitively for almost 50 years....would be consider switching BEFORE you see any signs.

I became convinced by a mentor almost 25 years ago, when 1oz loads weren't the easiest to find, but I'm sure glad I listened.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't shoot much FITASC..... For me it's mostly a mental/confidence thing. I shoot a lot less volume than most of the M class competition in my area. If I shot more, I'd probably switch to 1oz.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Smokers and heavy drinkers take the same attitude.........until it's too late. It is a cumulative thing; the sooner you stop abusing your shoulder, the better the long-term results.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
clayaddiction wrote:

You already shoot 1 oz for FITASC. My advice, as someone who's shot competitively for almost 50 years....would be consider switching BEFORE you see any signs.

I became convinced by a mentor almost 25 years ago, when 1oz loads weren't the easiest to find, but I'm sure glad I listened.

This is great advice. you can take it from me, a shooter that developed a severe flinch very early in my journey. I may have been unlucky enough to be more prone to it than most. I am not even certain that shooting lighter loads early on would have spared me the flinch road I endured. It may have or it may have delayed the onset.

Don't assume that once you develop the recoil issues no matter what severity that if you simply change your behavior then (lighter loads) you will be magically cured. You may be lucky and work your way out of it but I think if you do, you are the exception.

It is not an enjoyable thing to go thru.

Benelli SBE 2
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I appreciate the concern guys. But, I've been pretty successful with 1-1/8 loads and I don't plan on changing at this point. Many folks (including some pros) shoot 1-1/8 for years without problems. The fact is that we are all different..... and while I agree that the long term effects of recoil are cumulative, some people are FAR more susceptible than others to these problems. Being that my wife and I have twins on the way :shock: :shock: I'm not going to be shooting much next season anyway!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Dave, do you mind if I ask your age?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

32 {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:04 pm 
Limited Edition

I have shot 120,000 registered sporting clays targets. Lost count of practice. I would say that 5/6ths of those were 1 ounce, 1200 or 1290 for FITASC. 1 ounce at 1290 is same recoil as 11/8 ounce at 1200. I now shoot maybe a handful of handicap trap loads, 1 1/8 at 1250 per round when I see a trap type target that starts at over 30 yards and is hauling a$$ out. Recoil is cumulative. Make sure your stock is properly fitted to reduce felt recoil. Proper pitch, toe in or out, and comb that comes away from your face. You never need more than one ounce for practice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:15 pm 
Crown Grade

clayaddiction wrote:
32 {hs#

That's kind of what I figured. Most of the guys replying (me included) are much older, and know what recoil does to our body's.

It's obviously your choice, but take what were saying as the voice of experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Brad,

I understand what you are saying, and I agree that many older folks should be shooting lighter loads than I do. I regularly tell folks that very thing, and I see people fatiguing themselves and hurting their scores on a regular basis because of recoil.

There are many other factors to this equation.... gun fit, gun weight, number of shells fired etc. As I said before, I don't shoot nearly as many targets as most of the folks I compete against, I simply can't afford to shoot more. If I ever show ANY signs of recoil related issues, I'll change shells long before I have any permanent damage.

Honest question.... Would you try to convince Wendell Cherry or Bill McGuire that they should switch to 1oz? Neither of them are young men, but they obviously shoot very well. Obviously, many other pros shoot very light loads with great success.

2016 was my best season so far, I'm not changing anything at this point. I wish all of you guys well, and good luck to everyone in 2017 {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:11 am 
Crown Grade

clayaddiction wrote:

Honest question.... Would you try to convince Wendell Cherry or Bill McGuire that they should switch to 1oz? Neither of them are young men, but they obviously shoot very well. Obviously, many other pros shoot very light loads with great success.

No they're professional shooters. They make their living breaking targets, and teaching other people to break targets. Do you?

Just because most PGA pros use extra stiff shafts, doesn't mean the average Joe should.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ysr_racer wrote:
No they're professional shooters. They make their living breaking targets, and teaching other people to break targets. Do you?

No I do not. What does them making their living from shooting have to do with the cumulative affects of recoil?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ysr_racer wrote:
Just because most PGA pros use extra stiff shafts, doesn't mean the average Joe should.

I agree 100%. As I've said repeatedly, I don't recommend that every "average Joe" shooter shoot 1-1/8 loads.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:40 am 
Crown Grade

clayaddiction wrote:
ysr_racer wrote:

No I do not. What does them making their living from shooting have to do with the cumulative affects of recoil?

Nothing, but they may be willing to beat the crap out of their bodies to keep the lights on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 am 
Diamond Grade

Clay addiction - best of luck with the upcoming family expansion. You certainly do have a busy year ahead. My kids were one at a time and it was still plenty to do to keep up but very well worth it.

Hope you still can break away and get some tournaments in for 2017.

Benelli SBE 2
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 am 
Crown Grade

Youth, is wasted on the young - George Bernard Shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dpe2002 wrote:
Clay addiction - best of luck with the upcoming family expansion. You certainly do have a busy year ahead. My kids were one at a time and it was still plenty to do to keep up but very well worth it.

Hope you still can break away and get some tournaments in for 2017.

Thank you very much sir! {hs#

JacksBack's son said it best when he told me I was having a "true pair" :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

clayaddiction wrote:

JacksBack's son said it best when he told me I was having a "true pair" :lol:

But even better was your reply that you hoped for your wife's sake, they come out on report!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Human ego will naturally resit change, yet change is our fuel for progress...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Only have about 10 years on you and have been shooting sporting clays for just 5 years competing in the last 2.

When I realized I should go lighter was when I shot a big tournament - over 800 rounds in 4 days (mix of super sporting, 5-stand, prelim/a/b main sporting clays, and 50 shot side events). I saw my scores deteriorate over the weekend. The next year I shot the entire tournament with 1200fps 1oz for 12 gauge. Punched out of C class in this one tournament and my scores were consistent since I wasn't beating myself to death.

Now I use either 1145 1 1/8 oz or 1200 1 oz for competition and 1200 1oz and 1250 7/8 for practice.

NSCA#633193

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next