It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I know if my gun fits?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:21 pm 
Field Grade

Knowing if a gun fits is sometimes a difficult thing to figure out. Many years ago I decided to address that very issue by building clients a pattern stock before building them the "real" thing. Really nice stock blanks can cost upwards of $1,000 so it's mandatory that all stock issues be taken care of on the pattern stock. Although it takes a lot more effort and time to do this, I really believe this is a person's best chance of ending up with a stock that works really well.

It's the little things that can make the stock work really well. Length of pull is huge. I often build stocks for people and supply them with one pad for winter and one pad for the rest of the year. It's definitely something to pay really close attention to.

Another biggie is drop at face and heel. Here it's very important to access someone who can watch you shoot and give you valuable feedback. A good gun fitter is kind of like a good sculptor or a painter, i.e., a person who has developed a good eye for what works and can articulate his or her thoughts clearly. Good communication skill are a must.

The first thing I do with people is create a spec sheet for them. This baseline information is invaluable throughout the stock making process for both of us - especially me. I use these initial numbers as a starting point for pattern stocks. Pattern stocks aren't the most beautiful creations, but they are solid because they are based on reliable figures, and are critical for the best fitting stock down the road. If your stock fits well you'll be like the baseball player who uses a particular bat or glove because he loves the way it fits and because it hits home runs. A well made stock should yield lots of home runs for you as well. If yours doesn't, give me a call.

Post subject: Re: How do I know if my gun fits?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

My 1100 killin machine fits me. Or at least enough to get me to A.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Neil,

A bit vague about how to tell if a gun fits, but your website - http://www.nealbaudercustomgunmaker.com/ - is very impressive; and you're on the state line in lower Michigan no less.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nealbauder wrote:
Another biggie is drop at face and heel. Here it's very important to access someone who can watch you shoot and give you valuable feedback.

I am due for a custom stock and am shopping for fitters. You are on the other side of the continent from me, but I want this done right, and a 7 hour flight versus a 3 hour drive is not a deal breaker -- as long as I only have to do it one time ;) Tell me a little more about what you alluded to here -- what exactly do you look for when I am there shooting in front of you?

Human ego will naturally resist change, yet change is the fuel that powers progress...

Last edited by JacksBack on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jack,
I've read several good posts about Pacific doing a good job on fitting,or you may have already contacted them.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:35 pm 
Field Grade

Does it shoot where you look?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:07 pm 
Field Grade

Jack,

Thank you and others for your replies. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience and I would be happy to discuss gun fit with you further. There are a number of important components to gun fit. Yes, a part of the process can be done in the shop. I do, however believe that there is a lot more to the process. I have a client coming in from Chicago this week for Thursday and Friday, but am available anytime after this Friday, the 24th. Looking forward to talking with you. My web address is nealbaudercustomgunmaker.com. 517 260 1786. Thanks again, Neal.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Neal: You post this like it's voodoo. More clarity is better, less mumbo jumbo is better , too.

Do you possess a secret answer you are not willing to share?

Thought not, right???

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 am 
Presentation Grade

Any serious clay shooter should be able to go to a pattern plate and determine gun fit. Easy and simple. Not a black art or rocket surgery.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:15 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Jack

Have Neal make you a pattern stock to my deminsion and your LOP and put it on your gun and cut it or add bondo to it till it fits. If you need any help we will be close to you sometime this year and I can bring my tools and do final fit for you. I have just about stoped doing deminsions and have gone to using pattern stocks exclusively and I cut 3-4 combs per week as most of them are too high and wide for the normal. Glad to help if you want it....Gil Ash.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:19 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Sera I've don 100-150 gunfits per year for 25 years and there is way too much that goes into gun fitting than can be described on this forum or in an email. I have stopped trying to bend stocks with a draw bolt cause it don't work. You gotta cut them and a pattern stock is the only way to go. When the pattern stock is right not THE STOCKER AND CUSTOMER KNOW WHAT IS EXPECTED. Enuph said

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jack,

If at all possible, accept Gil's kind offer. Not only will any flaws in your present shooting form, which may be caused by your present stock be addressed, but you will be assured of a stock that fits you while using a shooting form that will allow you to shoot up to your full potential.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Jack,

No reason to have a third party in the mix if you don't have to. Like you said if you don't mind flying go spend some time at Neal's he will take you to shoot targets and make adjustments. This is a big part of his process. He knows what he is doing and you will leave with a happy end product. I have sent many customers to him. All have been extremely happy! Stock makers and fitters have all have different means and ways of going about fit. Just like coaching in sporting clays, in the end there is one goal, breaking targets and X's on a scorecard and a good customer service experience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:32 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

If you want to go see Neal go. Not trying to keep you from doing that but will say you need to shoot the pattern stock for at least 4-6 months to really know it is right. Neal knows what he is doing so stick with him you will not be disappointed!!! GA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 am 
Crown Grade

Back to the question, how do I know if my gun fits?

Last night at high school trap practice one of the kids had a new gun and someone "fitted" it to him.

Gun had an adjustable but pad. I could tell the pad was not straight up and down in the shoulder pocket. Easy visual check that gun didn't fit.

The kid also complained it was kicking him in the face. Easy feedback gun didn't fit.

5 minutes of adjustments, get his eye over the rib, and pad straight in shoulder pocket.

No complaints of pain, ran a 25 from the 16 yard line.

At least to start with, look for comfort, alignment and results to determine if your gun fits.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

xsshooter wrote:
At least to start with, look for comfort, alignment and results to determine if your gun fits.

+1 :) On Shotgun fit it pays to be "average" in size to help in getting started with the above.(I'm about 5'10 and 170) so most every gun I've shouldered "fit" fairly well.

I had a recoil reducer-LOP-Pad adjuster put on mine and used the mirror to tweak my gun fit a bit and all set. So IMO a mirror can help get a good start.

Carry on :) {RO

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No , Jim and Jerry , it's witchcraft and you have to pay $5000. Otherwise you aren't "keeping it real."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sera,

The comments above have destroyed your credibility.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No , I have seen and been ripped off by several of your colleagues when it comes to gun fit and stock making. I have had a fitter/bender break a stock , patch it poorly and not tell me that had happened. I had to pay a lot of money to get a new stock and to have the other parts of the gun fixed.

I have had fitters sell me on what they would do, send the gun to them and have them do nothing to the gun but send me a bill , with the assurance that they had "adjusted it."

I have had gurus accidentally bend the trigger guard , and then bend the trigger so it would then fit a bent trigger guard , then lie about it.

As I've mentioned many times here , I learned everything I ever learned about guns, stock , fitting , you name it--the hard way.

And I'm not going to happily buy the baloney posted here. I have nothing to sell. I don't even charge people for lessons. I do it cuz it's fun.

Maybe some poor sucker will think twice before getting taken in like I had happen to me so many times.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sera sorry for your experience however I can tell you along the way I have been fortunate and would recommend the following as both fitters and stock makers;Neal Bauder, Doug Carpenter and Devault
All of the above provide strong customer service and have always been strong with any of the clients I have ever recommended, work for myself, and feed back. No BALONEY with any of these guys!!