ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Wenig gun stock
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:55 pm 
Utility Grade

I just had a stock custom fitted and made by Wenig. Just wondering if anyone else has had a Wenig stock and how long it took you to get used to it and to get your scores back up. They did a wonderful job I love it. Just hope I can shoot it as well as it looks.

Post subject: Re: New Wenig gun stock
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:30 pm 
Crown Grade

I hope it fits as well as it looks! Give yourself 500+ rounds (shells) to get comfortable. I've had a New American style for three years now and have been real happy. EG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:21 am 
Crown Grade

I don't get it. If you had a custom made stock and it was fitted to you. You should shoot better right out of the box.
Wenig make good stocks and they do have great wood. A guy at my club had one made and he went from a OK shooter to a good shooter right after he got his gun back.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:03 am 
Utility Grade

Changing to a parallel comb has made me make a couple of adjustments to the way I shoot, but other than that I feel things are going well. Recoil has dropped significantly and I feel like I am on the right track. I couldn't be happier with the wood, the fit, everything, but have been shooting for many years and this is a sudden difference to what I am used to.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm off to go shoot a few hundred more rounds today. Happy Easter!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:26 am 
Tournament Grade

The Wenig crew are super nice! They have nice wood to choose from and I will say the stocks does help on recoil. I think anything new sometimes takes a little while to get use to and build faith in. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Going from a gun that does not fit to one that does DOES require some adjustment. I just added 1/2" to my 391 LOP and it took me about 500 targets to get it feeling natural when I mount.

"There is not a target on this course that I cannot hit, and no target that I cannot miss."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Kraiza- I picked 500 targets to get comfortable because in my experience (20 yrs sporting, etc.) it takes a while to get used to new stock dimensions. The most important factor is gaining confidence. My custom stock fits better than any gun I've ever owned,but out of the box I didn't start shooting in the 90's. As my confidence level rose, however, the scores followed. Bad thing about custom stocks....one less excuse when you miss! Eric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:58 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks guys. I been wanting a new custom stock. So now I know what to expect from it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kraiza wrote:
I don't get it. If you had a custom made stock and it was fitted to you. You should shoot better right out of the box.

This is exactly what I was going to post. Thanks for saving me the time, Kraiza.

Bruce

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:37 am 
Utility Grade

Did you have Wenig completely finish your stock? How long after you had your fitting did it take to get your gun back?

I am going down in May for a fitting, just curious.

NSCA #520095
New Berlin, WI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:54 am 
Utility Grade

Yes, they finished my stock completely and it is stunning. I was told that it would take anywhere from 4 to 7 weeks and it came back to me in 9 working days.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Took me about a thousand targets to get used to my fitted gun. I ended up having to modify my shooting style in order to make up from the various adjustments I had made over the years.

-- Zig Ziglar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

I am an active ATA trapshooter, and I shoot Sporting Clays for fun (no competition). I had a Wenig stock built for my Perazzi trap gun last October. I went to their shop in Lincoln, Missouri and was fitted. Here is a brief run down of what to expect.........(1) Show up at 7:30AM and meet Jimmy Cardwell (Jimmy is chief fitter). Mount gun for him a few times, and he will make observations. (2) He will then take your stock off, and install a try stock. (3) He will then begin tweaking the try stock. He will add comb height, LOP, bondo, etc. You will mount the gun several times, and he will make adjustments along the way. (4) Try stock now fits you. Pick out wood selection for your gun. (5) Take your try-stock and wood selection to duplicator. You will then watch your stock being roughed out. (5) Once leaving duplicator, they will rough sand your stock to smooth over any burrs. (6) Mount gun several times to make sure everything is correct. (7) Head to the Wenig range and fire at pattern board. If you are satisfied with P.O.I. at pattern board, you shoot actual targets. I shot 3 pattern board shots, then finished out box of 25 on the range. (8) You then head back to shop. If you are happy, you pay. If something isn't right, they will fix it. (9) Leave Wenig. I left there at 2:00PM. (10) They quote you 4-5 week lead time. I had mine in 16 days. Very happy camper! :D They go out of their way to make you happy, and will work with you in anyway possible. I have only fired less than a flat of shells with my new stock. Yes, I believe there is a slight learning curve. I went from a recoil reduction system that added 8 ounces, plus original stock was not custom fit. I am quickly learning!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

I will also add.........recoil is drastically reduced with custom fitting. This stock kicks less than the previous stock with a recoil reduction system. For those thinking about having a stock built, please contact me. I will try to answer any questions you may have.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:42 pm 
Limited Edition

I love my Wenig stock.

I still don't shoot worth a hoot, but that has nothing to do with the stock. :lol:
Once it fits, the failure is all between the ears! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 am 
Crown Grade

Had a Wenig stock made for my Browning 525 about four years ago. Went from so so to pretty good real fast. OK sometimes I'm still just so so. Anyway, I lost a bunch of weight a little while back. Now my auto fits me better right out of the box. I have a choice... go have the stock refitted, which I can't afford at the moment or gain all the weight back. I think I'll stay with the auto for a while. BTW the stock finishing was awesome on the Wenig stock.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:02 pm 
Field Grade

Interested in selling old stock mine cracked

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:36 pm 
Limited Edition

RE ^^^

Let me guess what you mean: You have an old butt stock for a K80 over/under that is cracked, so you want to know if the OP would be interested in selling his original stock?

I had to read your message a few times until I realized there were 2 sentences in that line of text.

1 - Did I guess the gun make and model correctly?
2 - A private message to the OP might be in order, because he is the only one concerned with your question.
3 - Unless you know the OP personally, how do you figure his old stock will fit your gun?

Good luck with your mission. garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

My3johns wrote:
Interested in selling old stock mine cracked

Since this is10 yrs ago U might be a little late

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wonder how much the OP paid for his stock ? Here’s the receipt I got from Wenig when they built my custom stock. I brought my own wood with me - and then was charged for them not being able to sell me one of their stock blanks.

The stock fits me well and the workmanship was very good. Too bad Wenig felt compelled to charge for something they didn’t provide. YMMV

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.