Shotgun Forum banner

Best brand of chokes for SC

7K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  R. Toker 
#1 ·
I shoot a poly ii and trulock Precision Hunter and sporting clays chokes in Full. Mod. Imp.mod Imp.Cyl. and spreader one on the poly and in the Trulocks Imp. Cyl and Mod. what do you guys shoot?

#3 ·
We sporting clays shooter really like to obsess over chokes. Then again, with a different course every time we shoot, evil target setters fooling us with eye tests, and switching ammo every time the price changes, chokes seem to be the only thing in this game we get to control. Who wouldn't want to hope that there is a magic choke that will break clays despite how we shoot the gun?

The problem is... there is no magic choke. If you are shooting an appropriate choke to the distance of the breakpoint (there are all sorts of resources that will tell you what that might be, for them) for the shells you are shooting, and you have confidence that the choke performs appropriately... well, that's about all the control you have.

Screw in a choke tube and forget about it. Make a plan, watch the target line and speed, keep your focus on the front edge of the target, execute your plan. It'll break, if you do your part.

#4 ·
Muller Chokes! U2 is all I'm shooting now. (But I AM a member of the Muller mafia!)

#5 ·
All the top guys use Briley Titanium.

Or you can quit obsessing and use the ones you have. :roll:

#6 ·
The best thing I have done recently is to go back to shooting sporting clays and 5 stand with a fixed choke gun. The gun fits,my gun mount is OK and I am happy with my cartridges so there's only one variable;me.
I was never a choke changer during a shoot but spent zillions on different types of chokes over the years and never ever improved my scores.Now the choke decision is removed from the equation my scores have gone up slightly.

Vic.

#7 ·
Looking for the best choke is like looking for the best golf clubs. Neither will make you a better shooter or a better golfer.

However, some golf clubs do have superior design and materials and may give you a FEW more yards. It will still not make you a better golfer, especially if your short game and your putting suck, but it will help a tiny bit, and perhaps most importantly, give you peace of mind.

Same with chokes. You cannot go wrong with Briley, Trulock, Seminole and similar designs. I am convinced Muller and Pure Gold will reduce flyers and give you SLIGHTLY more uniform patterns. They will not make you a better shooter but it may help a tiny bit and give you perhaps one or two more birds in a hundred. Note I used the words "may" and "perhaps", depending on how well you move, keep your eyes on the bird and many other factors.

#8 ·
I'm also a member of the Muller Mafia!! I use a U1/U2 set-up 99% of the time in my Beretta O/U. I carry a U3 for the occasional long target. They throw consistent, even patterns out of my gun and break targets farther than they should for their constrictions. I'm anxiously waiting for a U2 for my 1100 Sporting 28GA, which Jim says will be on the website next week.

#9 ·
There are plenty of manufacturers with claimed advantages (unique porting, wad stripping, etc) but the only way to really determine choke performance (as well as general performance of you gun) is to hit the patterning board. I have seen patterns vary greatly for a given choke from the same manufacture and specified constriction in different guns. If you really want to take it to another level (i.e. have a lot of free time at the range) you can add different shells/loads to the experiment. There are plenty of books on this subject...Jerry Myer and Chris Batha come to mind. Good luck!

Side note.....I have been considering switiching from my factory invector chokes to the Muller's, specifically for weight reasons since they are very light compared to other options. Would like to tweak overall gun balance a bit.

#11 ·
you might change chokes due to convenience-- lighter , extended or color coded....but to say one choke or the other will break more clays or drop more birds is pure baloney.

No choke will make up for shooter error....or to put it better , the cheapest choke is better than your ability--or mine--to shoot the shot swarm in the right place.

#12 ·
First, I think using quality choke tubes appropriate for the distance one is shooting is very helpful when shooting sporting.

Just because some shooters "over think" their choke selections doesn't mean "under thinking" it will be beneficial.

Years ago, Jon Kruger pointed out that you need just three chokes ( 2X if you have an o/u) -- one for close target (something around .005), one for medium range targets ( around .015), and another for longer range (.025 to .030 or so). I have found that to be a very good concept to use and live by.

You just can't say that you're going to do as well with a tighter choke on a 15 yard rabbit as you would with a looser one. Ditto for the reverse, when taking a poke at a 45/50 crosser.

There's a lot of good manufactures these days, and I don't think one is any better than they other. However, Briley and Seminole have very good reputations and get most all of my CT business.

#18 ·
cooper: Were you deprived at birth of the sarcasm gene? :shock:

Too bad...as it is the source of much fun. {hs#

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.