ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Muffs/molded in-ear/molded electronic or disposables?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:58 pm 
Limited Edition

B-Shooter wrote:
I had Grannie at PMS Shooting make some molds of my ears at the Gamaliel Cup Shoot and send them off to a hearing aid company who made a set of molded ear plugs with a filter inside that allows you to hear conversations but blocks loud noise. They are very comfortable and don't interfere with my stock. They cost $150. Well worth it.

She made me a set too. Fabuloso.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:43 am 
Diamond Grade

mdlott wrote:
B-Shooter wrote:
I had Grannie at PMS Shooting make some molds of my ears at the Gamaliel Cup Shoot and send them off to a hearing aid company who made a set of molded ear plugs with a filter inside that allows you to hear conversations but blocks loud noise. They are very comfortable and don't interfere with my stock. They cost $150. Well worth it.

She made me a set too. Fabuloso.

Granny at PMS also made my wife and me the molded plugs with filter and they are the best plugs we've had.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:28 am 
Diamond Grade

john54 wrote:
indoor shooting range with pistol I use both disposable plugs with ear muffs over those. Trap, so far, I am using just disposable plugs. Thinking about electronic muffs but the ones I find show less protection rating, around 27dbr vs 30 to 37 dbr for disposable plugs.

Unfortunately that is correct. The electronic plugs do not test quite as well as solid or foam plugs. For me I only use them in situations where I know my dose (number of shots) will be lower. For high dose situations, plugs and muffs is the only real viable solution for adequate protection.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I really like to mold my own using a Radians kit. Each kit is suppose to make one set, but I use one kit for each ear as I like to fill the entire outside of the ear covering the bone around the ear canal and it takes almost 3/4 of the kit to do that. Never had any issues with making them, just remember to wet your finger when smoothing them out, they work great and last for a few years and for under $15 a kit you don't feel bad when it's time to trash them and make new ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:34 pm 
Limited Edition

The foam disposable block more sound for me than my molded. Could be the molding was done poorly but my work has the OSHA presentation and it says foam is the best for noise reduction over muff and molded. I also have a very large ear canal per my ENT so that may be a problem getting things to fit correctly where the foam is just much more simple and more comfortable than molded to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:00 pm 
Crown Grade

The Swanny wrote:
The foam disposable block more sound for me than my molded. Could be the molding was done poorly but my work has the OSHA presentation and it says foam is the best for noise reduction over muff and molded. I also have a very large ear canal per my ENT so that may be a problem getting things to fit correctly where the foam is just much more simple and more comfortable than molded to me.

What does OSHA know? :wink:

No matter how many people say the same thing, there are a lot of folks that just won’t believe it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:14 pm 
Crown Grade

The Swanny wrote:

Try the expandable foam in a can for large ears..... it’ll prob be a b***h to get out, but it ought do a great job of muffling noise:-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Rooster booster wrote:
The Swanny wrote:

Try the expandable foam in a can for large ears..... it’ll prob be a b***h to get out, but it ought do a great job of muffling noise:-)

I have been told by physicians I have a large ear canal and large colon. Not the parts of your body you can hang your hat on to pick up the ladies exactly lol!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Hahahaha!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Here is what I was told by the audiologist that made my custom molded plugs.
There are two types of material used in the custom plugs. The material used in the home kits and at the gun clubs/shows that allows you to take them home in 30 minutes does not have the noise reduction rating of the ones made in an office you wait a week or so for. They use a denser material that takes a different process to set up.

Steve