CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Do you *naturally* shoot better with two eyes?
yes 80%  80%  [ 99 ]
no 20%  20%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 123
 Post subject: Does anyone *naturally* shoot better with two eyes?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:20 am 
Field Grade

If so, I would like to punch you in the face.

Seriously though, has anyone picked up a gun and shot well with two eyes without working on the technique? I find it hard to believe that a right eye dominant shooter will naturally shoot better with two eyes open compared to one.

Maybe I just have eye dominance issues... :oops:

Post subject: Re: Does anyone *naturally* shoot better with two eyes?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:26 am 
Crown Grade

Hold on tight, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

brad g.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Seat belt is fastened, Racer!

follow this link to join the forum's bonus Membership
http://www.shotgunworld.com/memberships.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:19 am 
Crown Grade

I also shoot rifles - both open sights and scoped - with both eyes open. If you have no dominance issues and similar vision characteristics in both eyes it just works.

Robert Browning

Post subject: Does anyone *naturally* shoot better with two eyes?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:55 am 
Field Grade

I'm pretty sure that I'm left eye dominant but shoot right handed. I can't say I'm some world record holder but I can break most the targets thrown. I don't shoot rifles just because I have no need to really and I had an experience one time. We can't use rifles for deer in my state or anything for that matter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gooseman07 wrote:
but I can break most the targets thrown.

Just for clarification are you talking about the usual clay games(SK,S/C,Trap etc.) or pasture clays :?:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Open or Closed?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

An interesting case would be my 14 year old son. Shot the bb gun at home and that was his shooting experience. His first experience shooting shotguns was with a good shooting instructor. He gave him all the basic stuff. Two eyes, hard focus.... He shot wobble trap singles 3 times before his first round of sporting clays. The first double he ever saw was in that round of sporting clays and he shot a 35 of 50. Most stations went xoxx or oxxx. On wobble trap he rarely misses.

I shot one eye for a while, I have a cross dominance issue. My solution was the magic dot route and when you "get it" it is the only way to go. If you have a cross dominance issue and don't address it you will only hit when you miss by a lot once in a while.

I don't know if you are fishing or what but two eyes is the way to go for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:22 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Rocko,
Before you assume you are having an eye dominance issue, be sure you are firmly focusing on the target, not the barrel.

I get, on average 1 per week, students who label themselves as having a dominance problem( they are winking, or they have tape all over their "off eye" lenses), and when you get them to keep their focus on the clay, their problems go away.

You can take a right handed, strongly right eye dominate shooter, and if he shifts his focus away from the clay, and "lines up the beads", he will " see the left side of the barrel", just as described by a left eye dominate shooting right handed.

I'm certainly not saying that eye dominance doesn't exist, or that is doesn't matter, but MANY shoters become convinced that they have a dominance "issue", when all they are doing is focusing on the barrel during the shot. That isn't a dominance problem, that is God's way of telling you you are focusing on the wrong thing.

Will Fennell
http://www.halkguns.com

Last edited by Will Fennell on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:37 am 
Field Grade

Will Fennell wrote:
I'm certainly not says that eye dominance doesn't exist, or that is doesn't matter, but MANY shoters become convinced that they have a dominance "issue", when all they are doing is focusing on the barrel during the shot. That isn't a dominance problem, that is God's way of telling you you are focusing on the wrong thing.

Gotcha, that makes a lot of sense. So there is still a distinct technique associated with two-eye shooting? It's not just a matter of "do the exact same thing you've always done but shoot with two eyes open and magically you will crush more targets than ever", right?

I have been two-eyed shooting for a few weeks (maybe 3-4 rounds of sporting clays), and I am roughly where I was with one-eyed shooting. The only time when I really notice a difference is on right to left quartering targets, but this may be a gun mount issue. I just picked up Matarese Jr.'s DVD, so hopefully he covers the basics of two-eyed shooting in it.

Last edited by rockoromero on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

Hard focus on the front bead, wait, that's not right?

brad g.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 am 
Field Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
Hard focus on the front bead, wait, that's not right?

I've gone through most of this stuff with an instructor. Don't look at the barrel, focus on the clays, see the rings, your hands will follow your eyes, etc.

I'm just not really better with two-eyed shooting, and once in a while I am off by a mile.

Let me re-phrase my question:

"Are most people* just naturally better at two-eyed shooting, without practicing the technique or re-learning sight picture?

*assuming no eye dominance issues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rock: some people can never learn to use both eyes when shooting. Many do quite well.

The thing we have to learn to do is to not look at the barrel. We are hard-wired genetically to "see" the nearest moving object. The nearest bear is more likely to eat us that then one 100 yds away. So -- the nearest moving object is the barrel and we WANT TO focus on them.

This is where training must overcome the "instinct." And it can be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:21 am 
Crown Grade

When my front green glow tube thingy fell off, the only thing left to look at was the bird

(and I won my class at the state championship).

brad g.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:23 am 
Field Grade

sera wrote:
rock: some people can never learn to use both eyes when shooting. Many do quite well.

The thing we have to learn to do is to not look at the barrel. We are hard-wired genetically to "see" the nearest moving object. The nearest bear is more likely to eat us that then one 100 yds away. So -- the nearest moving object is the barrel and we WANT TO focus on them.

This is where training must overcome the "instinct." And it can be.

Doesn't the fastest moving object catch our attention more the the closest moving? It seems to mine. Looking out the window at the leaves blowing around, I instantly snap off them and on to a song bird much farther away but moving much faster.

Close targets appear very fast and are easier to focus on. The long ones look slow and it's easier to be drawn to our barrel[s] especially when we're whipping them around faster then the target. No?

Unless it's moving faster then anything else in your sight, I believe our "instinct" to look at the barrel[s] is learned not instinctual.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From 1974 when I first started shooting until 1994 I was convinced and others convinced me that I had a eye dominance issue. I tried tape, dots etc on the left lens of my shooting glasses, and all kinds of stupid attachments to block the bead on my trap gun.

Finally I just said screw it, how can my eyes work that different from most every other person that walks the earth, and started shooting with both eyes open. 2 months later I shot my first 100 straight, and my average went up a full 4 targets per 100 that year and stayed there.

There wasn't any 'technique' involved, it just works.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here's an add-on comment about something I discovered about myself a few weeks ago, and I plan to ask my shooting coach about it at our next lesson, but maybe some of you have some ideas. First know I am left-handed and left-eye dominant for certain. I do not wear corrective lenses, but do own a pair and my correction is mild -- I am like 20/20 in my left eye and 20/25-30 in my right.

If you would have asked me two weeks ago, my answer would have been, "I always shoot with both eyes open." However, what I recently learned during a practice session is that for certain long targets, like 50 yards plus, I shoot them much better if I squint -- but not fully closed, just partially -- my right eye (again, I shoot left). Don't really know why, my right eye is weaker (less sharp) than my left eye at any distance, but when I keep both open I cannot focus well or consistently on far targets; my percentage goes way up on them if I squint. However, since I discovered this I tried squinting on close targets and the results were disastrous -- I could not hit, judge or even see many closer, faster targets well if I squinted. So there you go, WTF is up with that? I have yet to shoot a full round for score using this method, but plan to this Sunday, so I'm still not really sure it will help.

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:32 am 
Presentation Grade

Both eyes for everything...including practical pistol and 3-gun competition. The view with both eyes makes for better target transitions with a pistol, as well as following a clay better for shotgun. For pistol and 3-gun if a pistol is involved in the stages, I normally use a pair of Rudy Project shooting glasses with an inverted right lens diopter, which allows my 50+ eyes to focus on the front sight. The left lens is normal and my brain has no problems merging the two. For sporting clays and rifle, I use a normal prescription.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:14 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Yup,
For the record, I keep both eyes open to drive a car, throw darts, check out hot chicks, shoot precision rifle( with hi-magnification optics or iron sights), throw a ball, shoot a bow, shoot a handgun, swing an axe, hammer a nail......and to shoot a shotgun.

Will Fennell
http://www.halkguns.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use two eyes when I shoot 7.5s but one eye when I shoot 8's unless I am shooting a semi-auto in which case I switch it around, but shoot right eye closed for 7.5s. Seems to keep me in B class pretty well....

I pray every day for Obama: Psalm 109:8

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next