ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 390 Sporting Clays gun?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:35 pm 
Field Grade

I was looking at a used Beretta 390 Silver Mallard that had several features I had not seen on one before. It had a 28" ported barrel. Did any of these guns come with a ported barrel, or was this an owner modification. Also, the checkering was not sharp; the points were very small and it seemed like the tops were flattened. I was wondering if this was a special type of checkering, if it was modified by the owner, or if it was simply the result of wear. The gun had a recoil pad and the length of pull seemed longer than average, but I was unable to measure it.

If this gun has been modified, would that increase or decrease its value. The gun seemed to be in great condition, both externally and internally (but I am certainly no expert, and have not owned a Beretta before.) I am a little concerned that if this gun was modified by the owner then it is possible that it has seen a great deal of clay target use. Again, it looked good to me, but is there something specific I should look for. I know Berettas are often recommended for significant target use, so should I even be concerned?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Post subject: Re: Beretta 390 Sporting Clays gun?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:17 am 
Diamond Grade

With Wal-Mart selling an adjustable stock Beretta 390 for $300 in 20 gauge and $400 in 12 gauge, the price of the used Beretta 390 has dropped through the floor, and you can buy these guns VERY cheaply and they are common. So if you have any doubts about the gun, there are tons more 390s for the picking.

I was at a pawn shop two weeks ago, and the owner, who has an interest in five shops, indicated that the Wal-Mart Beretta 390 single-handedly, and dramatically, drove down the prices of all used guns; not just the Beretta 390 series.

You can still find quite a few of the 390s new, especially the sporting models, and they, generally, sell for about $500. The Beretta 391 sporting with the non-optima barrel is selling for $675 now at a lot of chain gun stores, with field grades as low as $625, and a person would certainly have to consider that option.

I'll tell you another great place to buy new 390s and that's from owners of conservation guns (like DU). Some of these guns are so ugly, because of the poor-taste in decorating, that they sell new for $400. However, most of them sell for $500 retail, and provide a good opportunity to get a new one.

So many guns; so little time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:09 am 
Field Grade

I wish I knew where you guys get guns for these prices. I never see anything close to the deals that are frequently mentioned here. I have seen the Wal-Mart 390 in at least a dozen stores and always for the same price of $530.

I am still wondering how to tell if this is a special sporting model or if it has been modified by the owner? Would a sporting model be marked differently?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:11 am 
Presentation Grade

riflecat wrote:
I am still wondering how to tell if this is a special sporting model or if it has been modified by the owner? Would a sporting model be marked differently?

It seems to me that the 390 sporting models had ported barells. Another thing would be a wider rib and the gun would typically be heavier. My son-in-law has one but it is way too early to call him now. He works long and hard and plays like he works. I'll call him later and ask him if his barell is ported.

http://www.Mishoot.com

American by birth
Patriot by choice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You could get Sporting 390's with or without factory porting. If I were looking for an autoloader to use for heavy volume clay target use, the 390 Sporting guns would be at the top of my list.

The Wal Mart 390's with the synthetic stocks are no where near as desirable for clays shooting as the 390 Sporting. Nor will they bring as good a price on resale. If they have brought down the price of good used 390's, then that's a bonus to today's buyer. Personally, I would take a good used 390 over a new 391 any day, but that's just my opinion. However, there are many others who share the same opinion. My gun safe currently has 2 390's in there and I've shot my share of shells through one of them. The other is barely used. Neither is for sale.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

claybuster425 wrote:
riflecat wrote:

It seems to me that the 390 sporting models had ported barells. Another thing would be a wider rib and the gun would typically be heavier. My son-in-law has one but it is way too early to call him now. He works long and hard and plays like he works. I'll call him later and ask him if his barell is ported.

Yes, my son-in laws 390 is ported. It is a 30" barrel.
On the side of the receiver it say's AL390 12ga. Sport
It has the wide rib.

http://www.Mishoot.com

American by birth
Patriot by choice