ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st time at sporting clays
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:34 am 
Utility Grade

I shot sporting clays this past saturday for the first time. It was alot of fun. I shot a 70. I was at the cherokee gun club in gainesville, ga. Great place. Im ready to go back and try to improve my score. What do you have to do to get into registered shoots?

Post subject: Re: 1st time at sporting clays
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:39 am 
Crown Grade

Join the NSCA and they'll do the rest.

http://www.mynsca.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:40 am 
Wow....sun feb 13 2005 bought a mossberg 500 .20, 1 hour later i was at camp attebury civilan target/trap range dear god was it a blast heres my dilema

I bought my "mossy" used and its perfectly broke in and accurate but I want to find aftermarket trap/skeet style acceroies for it all I can find is that tactical stuff god I'm so sick of seeing that stuff please any body drop a few links that I can purchase some stock/sighted barrel/pump pieces

thanks,

p.s. its my second gun in less then 20 days I think I'm developing a hobbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:44 am 
Utility Grade

Anonymous wrote:
Wow....sun feb 13 2005 bought a mossberg 500 .20, 1 hour later i was at camp attebury civilan target/trap range dear god was it a dang blast heres my dilema

I bought my "mossy" used and its perfectly broke in and accurate but I want to find aftermarket trap/skeet style acceroies for it all I can find is that tactical stuff god IU'm so dang sick of seeing please any body drop a few links that I can purchase some stock/sighted barrel/pump pieces

thanks,

p.s. its my second gun in less then 20 days I think I'm developing a hobbie

Just Registered plan on being a frequent attendent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:49 am 
Global Moderator

Welcome to the board! But, lets drop the %&^* language please.

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:25 pm 
Crown Grade

870:This is a warning.SC's are seriously addictive.You will want a new gun-- and then another and so on.You'll "have to have" all the aftermarket stuff-choke tubes, etc.

I got into SC in 2002 and shot 3 registered shoots.They started me in D class but I was so bad in 2002 that they dropped me down to E class the next year.I started practicing more and eventually got better--earning my 1st "punch" in late summer 2003.

Last year--2004-- I shot 8250 registered targets and 850 already in 2005.

I really love the game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:54 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

870wingmaster wrote:
. What do you have to do to get into registered shoots?

Check that clubs flyers, either at the club or on the internet, if they have hunter class you do not have to be a member of NSCA to participate in a registered shoot-------that is what I would do for a couple of shoots anyway to make sure it's what you expected.

The vast majority of the bells and whistles for guns are just that, do what you can to stop recoil, make sure your gun shoots where you look, and be prepared to buy alot of bullets.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:51 am 
Crown Grade

870Wingmaster, try our web site at http://www.ga-sportingclays.org/ It has all the GSCA clubs listed in Georgia, and all the upcoming registered and non-registered shoots. Contact me for any additional information. If you go to school in Valdosta, there are a couple of nearby sporting clays courses, one off Exit 2 on I-75, and one at Tifton. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:55 am 
Utility Grade

albanygun, do you know if the sporting clays place off of exit two is open to the public. I thought I found the number to the place(southwinds sporting clays), but when I tied to call it, the number did not work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Don't feel bad if you have a bad day in sporting, some courses are tough. I see a lot of skeet and trap shooters try sporting thinking they are going to compete with sporting shooters and are discouraged when they don't. This is not to say they aren't good shooter, it just takes some getting used to. Sporting shooters usually can't beat them at their game either.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:10 pm 
Utility Grade

I thought it was a great day. This was the first time i have ever done anything like that. I got the gun for Christmas. It's my first gun. Im 21 and the first time i ever shot a gun was thanksgiving(3 months ago). So i thought it was a good score.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:59 pm 
Limited Edition

Howdy. I sent you a PM, but I wanted to respond here just in case you didn't see it.

I went to school at VSU and just finished a masters at UGA and work at UGA. We'll have to get together for a shoot sometime. There are several places in the Athens area to shoot and at least one sporting clays place down in Lake Park.

www.wheretoshoot.org

www.claytargetonline.com

Shooters' Legacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:05 pm 
Utility Grade

i was using a skeet choke when i went. Is that not what most people use? Does that make it less of a challenge? Would people consider that cheating? sorry just had a few questions once i saw that most everybody is using modified and things like that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:41 am 
Limited Edition

No it's not cheating to use a skeet choke, some shooters will even shoot without a choke, though not recommended. The only restriction I know of is you can't use spreader loads or a diffusion choke in F.I.T.A.S.C.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:24 am 
Utility Grade

what are spreader loads or a diffusion choke in F.I.T.A.S.C.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:29 pm 
Field Grade

I went last Saturday for the first time and I had a awesome time. I used a skeet choke on my 870 and so did my brother on his 1100. I am really looking forward to going again

The single greatest cause of Atheism in this world is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, but go out and deny Him by their life styles. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable~

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:45 pm 
Limited Edition

A diffusion choke has rifleing that makes the pattern spread out more than a cylinder choke. Spreader loads have a center post in the shot cup section of the wad that causes the pattern to spread more than the constriction of the the choke you have in the gun. Both of these are legal in sporting but not F.I.T.A.S.C. Don't even ask me to explain the game, it's French. I like to shoot fitasc when offered at the larger shoots, it's not available as sporting in the U.S.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Hey Claydog: Have you seen any FITASC targets that you could hit w/ Diffussion choke?

I haven't.