ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going to be a sporting clays junkie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:33 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Well folks, I finally did it. After hemming and hawing and looking for time, I just completed my first round of sporting clays. I stunk the course up, won't mention the score...but... :D I'm hooked.

That, aside from dove hunting, has got to be one of the most fun shooting sports around.

I'm hooked, think I'm going back next week...
Those little orange birds are addicting.

Post subject: Re: Going to be a sporting clays junkie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My condolensces, Thomas. You could have secured yourself a fine retirement nestegg with all the money you'll spend now on ammo, gas, range fees, and (of course) all the cool new gadgets and guns.

But where's the fun in that? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oh no, another clay junkie. You have to have that fix as often as possible. :lol: :lol:

Come on Tab, its required that you tell your first round score, you ain't gonna get off that easy. :wink:

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:28 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Eye,

19 for 50....first time on that field. myplan is to pick up to 25 first. THat means lots of shooting. Oh rats! A horrible horrible shame....

:!: need a reloader at this rate!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:58 pm 
Crown Grade

TAB,

Glad to see we have another Sporting Clays fan :D It sure is addicting. You will have to reload eventually. I can reload a box of shells for $2.50 a box. Of course you have to remember that I am getting loads that are better than Remington STS or Winchester AA as far as patterns and quality goes. Also check out this interesting link on reloading:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=42598

I highly recommend an instructor. They will boost your score tremendously. Also remember to practice :wink: .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tab,
Reloading is just the next phase of the addiction, don't try to fight it , just makes it worse. Just go with it, makes it a whole lot easier. 19 out of 50.........Ahem, I shot a 21 out of 50 I've seen a lot worse. One guy that I know shot a 9 out of 50 his first time, an he's a good skeet shooter. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:27 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

TAB, you're sunk, soon you will be hearing about how nice or great the targets are at another club 50 miles away and you feel hypnotized with the lure, then 200 miles, then you will join SCA (that's Sporting Clays Anonymous for those not stricken) :wink: but they only require your car keys 3 weekends a month, no cold turkey there :P

But it really is great fun, find you a group that will go with you so you can grieve together, it makes shooting missed targets all the way home (now 500 miles) go so much quicker :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

Hi I'm John and I admit it I'm a confirmed member of SCA!
First a used 1100 and then a new 525 then reloading and a custom fitted stock. Shot in Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, Georgia, Maryland and Florida. Only shot skeet in Tennesee, Nevada and Texas because of time constraints. Spending money on books, video and instruction. Making sure my wife doesn't find out how much I have spent on this<LOL> Even got her out shooting with her own 391!
THere's no turning back now!
Have fun!
John <><

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Enjoy--start saving now for a Perazzi or a Krieghoff--expect your bank balance to go DOWN but your enjoyment of life to go thru the roof.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

thomasartbutler, we're here for ya man'
If you ever need help, or just wanna talk.

Hi, my name is UltraMag and i'm a sportingaholic.

SCA is Sporting Clays Anonymous.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bank balance, bank balance, what bank balance? Ever since I started this shotgun sports thing I ain't got no stinking bank balance. Spend everything on reloaders,components, shells, accessories, guns, guns, guns, an more guns, fees to shoot, gas to travel to shoot, did I mention guns. But I love it, I came into this world poor an I'll go out poor, I guess. :D
Man, I got it baaaaaaaad. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Eyemissum said it all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Shot sporting clays 5 or so years ago and finally got back into it this past weekend at my club. Shoot skeet for the most part but it was a sporting weekend so got back in it. Stunk it up too, but hey, it's been a few years. Anyways... I think the best solution would be to sell my house and buy a home in the boonies where I can shoot at my hearts content. Need to be able to shoot whenever it good for you, not only when the club's open. That's the only way I see to getting straights! I'm sure the state champe have their own traps in their yard, but that's a guess. Gonna go broke paying for rounds at the club.

Best,
Bill V

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:22 pm 
Limited Edition

i shot a 16 1st time out w/old 20 o/u changed guns 3 or 4 times then got 1100 w/ 21 in barrel scores went in to high 20s then got28 in barrels got to 39 now ive hit 41 w/ o/u im now living hand to mouth :lol: ill never make a living at this oh well it could be worse i could be hanging out in gin mills instead im in gun shops and ranges .eat sleep shoot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:40 am 
Limited Edition

Tom, if you love the game like you say save yourself a lot of money and aggrevation and buy a really nice shotgun, you're going to end up with one anyway. I started out cheap, went to a mid-level gun, then on to what I really wanted. Get something with 32" barrels that feels right, not too heavy, not too light, and get it with an adjustable comb. Later, if you don't like the looks of the stock you can always get another one, after you're good enough to find out what you fit is. Your fit WILL change so an adjustable will keep you from wanting to trade guns as you improve.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:41 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Clay dog-

Good advice. There's not a doubt I'm gonig to be a junkie, as I've managed somehow to schedule three rounds this Fri/Sat/Sun. :shock: You're going to think I'm crazy, but I've got a SxS Ithaca NID with that lovely English stock on it. Provides that drop that I seem to hit better with. So....I've been shooting with it. I'm just wierd and have an affinty for the older classics. On the other hand, I'm still looking for a nice Browing Auto 5, with at deep drop on the back, I always had more luck hitting with those, too. My grandfather is shipping me an older reloader he's got, and I'm saving hulls. Sooner or later I'm actually going to get fitted for those two guns. I"ve got a SKB sitting in the closet too, usually use that for squirrel, turkey and deer, who knows, maybe I oughta give it a go eventually on the clays course and see how I do. Once I find that gun with the right feel, then I'll stick with it. :D THe fun is in try ing the different guns.

TAB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thomas, just wait 'til you get back to the quail in West Texas! Of course, now that February is past, the little orange birds are all we have to "hunt". Let me know when you're in the area and we'll shoot a round or two.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:34 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Tex-

I've got the 20 gauge Ithaca ultralight pump and a couple boxes of 8's ready to go sitting on the ranch...I'll look you up when I get down there this upcoming season! Looking to hopefully kill a few more quail this year than last. Tasty lil critters.

TAB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"tasty little critters".... If you don't eat 'em the coyotes will! :lol: