ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: quail walk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:43 am 
Tournament Grade

Anybody else ever play on a skeet field this way?

Start at station 1, load two shells. As soon as you step off the pad walking towards station 8 your fair game and birds can be pulled at any time, in any sequence. Then go to each station until reaching seven shooting 2 birds at each station, then work backwards to station one. You can walk at any pace towards station 8 but you must keep moving.

A talented trapper can really give some tough presentations.

We're going to get the trap involved next week since it's placed at the center stake and will give a good outbound bird presentation.

www.paddleandpole.com

Post subject: Re: quail walk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:25 pm 
Crown Grade

That game violates safety rules at every range I have shot at....

Scott

-- Confucius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

i can assure you winders, we keep it safe.

www.paddleandpole.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Do you require guns with working safeties? Do you require the safety be on while walking?

The ranges I shoot at would not allow the game because it violates the safety rules.

Scott

-- Confucius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

God forbid people do something different and have fun.

Tyson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I gotta agree with Scott on this one. At a public range, walking around with a loaded gun is a BIG no-no. It does sound fun, and probably a good way to practice for bird hunting. i guess if you shot at a private club you can do whatever you want, though most of the private clubs I've shot at would frown on it.
By the way, please don't think I'm accusing you of not "keeping it safe". Iits just that range safety rules are there to keep everyone safely practicing the same safety habits, and allowing shooters to play games outside these rules may tend to degrade the whole system.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Alright, to clarify some things here.

1: you are only walking a few steps forward before a bird is released, not running around the entire field.

2: you are only walking in a straight line from which ever station towards station 8 with everyone behind you.

3: we have a very small club so there are not people just wandering around.

4: we are a small club all know each other very well and trust that everyone knows the safety rules as in "no finger on the trigger until you are going to pull it", might be different with people you don't know.

Guess i fail to see a safety problem with the circumstances inwhich our club operates, other clubs i'm sure are different and may not be able to employ something like this. But in our case its no more dangerous than actual bird hunting and i don't see reports about bird hunters being picked off by others in the group.

I figured i'd give people some insight into another way to make clay shooting enjoyable.

www.paddleandpole.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Tyson,

So far I have made no statements, one way or the other, as to how I feel about this "game". All I did was point out that it violates the safety rules at the ranges I shoot at and would not be allowed.

Personally, I like the fact that people can only load their guns on the pads and must unload them before they walk off the pad. When it comes to firearms, I don't trust many people and distrust people until I see that they know how to safely handle a shotgun.

If someone wanted to walk around with a loaded shotgun, I sure would like to know they had the safety on and the firearm pointed in a safe direction. Can you do that walking around a Skeet field with a loaded gun? How would the folks on the adjacent fields feel? what happens if the falls down or drops his gun?

Basically, I think it is a bad idea for most clubs. I am sure it is fine in well controlled situations.

I won't go hunting with just anybody. I certainly wouldn't want "just anybody" playing this game around me no matter how fun it is.

Scott

-- Confucius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Winders,

I'm not sure if your missing the point or not about this.

All guns are unloaded except for the one person that will be shooting at that station. their gun is only loaded once they step onto the pad, same as any other game.

They slowly step off the pad towards station 8 or center stake.

Everyone else is standing at the pad, directly behind the shooter. There is no chance for a muzzle sweep.

The birds come from the normal postions, just not anticipated.

The shots are still going to go in the same direction as in a regular game of skeet.

www.paddleandpole.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shotgunning to me always meant hunting... until recently. After, what, 20+ years of wingshooting... I was exposed to "organized" games, if you will. Of course, being the hunter I was raised to be, I was inclined to think that Sporting Clays would best fit my interests.

Until just recently, I only had people's general description of the sport. Maybe they did a poor job describing it to me (or I'm a poor listener), but I always imagined the following:

A large chunk of land (120+ acres, maybe?) would be developed in a way that you would walk a designated path. Along this path would be various "obstacles" or land features such as ravines, aspen outgrowths, or whatnot. While on your "hunt", clays would be launched at various locations at varying degrees of difficulty. This "set", if you will, would be the same for all competitors (of course each competitor would not be allowed to watch the set until "hunt" time). Scoring would be pretty self explanatory.

Of course, no one except the people launching the clays and, I suppose, a judge, would be allowed on or near the course while one is "hunting". That seems safe to me. The "launcher", I'm sure could be hidden and protected (or the technology is there to make it fully automated), the judge is behind you, and well, there you go. That's what I imagined it to be not so long ago.

I'm finding out that it's not quite like that. Sounds fun though, and I am encouraged that maybe others are looking into such an idea.

Or, maybe I just fell off the turnip truck and don't know left from right. :shock: Been there before, too...

Thanks,
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That quail walk Skeet game has been around forever and at least once or twice a week people were doing it on one of the Skeet ranges at my old gun club -- while people were shooting Skeet on another.

That club had more than 500 members and some weekends the place was like a beehive.

Nobody ever got shot by so much as a single pellet.

The only thing you're missing here, Flyguy, is that we now live in an age of paranoia and political correctness driven by fear and control freaks.

Yes indeed, God forbid anyone do anything that isn't regimented to the Nth degree and so hidebound with rules that you can't fart without drawing scowls.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:26 am 
Crown Grade

Based on the safety levels I have seen exhibited by many shooters, new or not, at gun clubs in the last year, I prefer to err on the side of caution. I don't want to be anywhere near someone I don't know or I don't trust walking around with a loaded gun trying to get a quick shot off.

If you want to call that paranoia, go ahead......I call it self-preservation!

Scott

-- Confucius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:54 am 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
The only thing you're missing here, Flyguy, is that we now live in an age of paranoia and political correctness driven by fear and control freaks.

I fully understand the state of the world and the now common "PC" attitude many people have. It can be seen on any news channel at any given time with frivilous law suits, laws that go directly against common sense, and people that have nothing better to do than pick an argument with someone else based on thier own beliefs.

It is nice to belong to a gun club though where we all can have a good time, safely, enjoying the outdoors. I thought that on this forum where most are very educated in firearms, and shooting in general, that it wouldn't be seen as a game where someone was just asking to be shot. I was wrong on that point.

For the sake of argument though as the whole "move and shoot" of the quail walk game has caused controversy in this thread, what are your opinions on ISPC or IDPA type pistol, or 3-gun shooting sports. I've shot IDPA matches and although some were newer shooters it was a very safe environment, even with the high speed move and shoot type stations. Amazingly enough this sport still exists since it breaks several rules of our PC world such as; using handguns, which are inherently evil by nature, practicing the shooting of a human shaped target, and shooting while moving with a loaded gun.

Now I will not say that I have not seen safety violations in these situations, but the rangemasters made sure that it never became a treat to life, limb, or property.

Sadly you are right in the observation of the "PC" world and the chances that we take just doing the activities we so cherish.

www.paddleandpole.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:42 am 
Tournament Grade

{RO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have done more than a few quail walks. Some on skeet fields and some on 5 stand fields.

Getting ready for the Sportsmans Team Challenge, I see many many more in my near future.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Flyguy,
I'm in no position to know for certain how safe you're quail walk is. My guess is that it's very safe because as shooters, safety is ground into us from the get go.

From that perspective I have to defend those that expressed concern. Safety has been ground into them as well.

If I'm shooting a target game and anything goes slightly off, from a defective trap, to any movement that looks out of place, my gun is instantly open. I don't even think about it any more than breathing. It just happens. My guess is that's the same for you and anybody that's done this for any time.

It just couldn't be otherwise or we wouldn't have the INCREDIBLE safety record we have.

Think of all of these tournaments, all of these people and all of these guns. If we weren't as we are, god knows what might happen.

Again, this stuff is beat into us and when something is presented, that in print anyway, looks a little out of the norm, it doesn't surprise me that some would question it.

I absolutely agree that this world has become so politically correct that it's sickening. The blameless society and all of that crap.

Your analogy of pistol shooting is a good one, but it's foreign to most of our games.

There was a place where I used to shoot sporting. The last station was always some form of shooters choice. The shooter basically walked with his gun as if he were bird hunting. The trapper could throw any of several targets. Rabbits, min's, high, low - anything.

You'd be shown the potential birds, but you never knew what would come. The sound of a trap is the sound of a trap.

I saw people - good, safe shooters, just about throw their brains away, trying to locate targets in the air. More gun waving than I'd ever want to see and I was not comfortable. I don't care about anyone's opinion who might have considered that safe. That was a potential bomb.

What you described seems far more controlled.

If I have a point in this looooooooooong post, it's that EVERYONE has a point on this.
We've been trained to have a point, so have you. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:37 am 
Diamond Grade

Walking around with a loaded gun, walking while looking
for targets to appear, breathing lead vapors when you
shoot, having base wads stick in your barrel, tripping
while walking, knocking the safety off, and then blowing
your own head off, using gunpowder and primers in the
same shell, risking getting double charges of powder,
I wonder how we survive all this danger. I just wait
till all the pussys disappear and play whatever games
I want, even shooting twice at the same target. Hey,
I know my days are numbered taking all these chances
but what the heck, I say go for the gusto. Oh yes,
I like to drink some whiskey before I shoot to keep
my nerves steady, with all this pressure on me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:09 am 
Tournament Grade

... so... what are you gettin' at JoeCool? You don't like people?

take it easy... I'm just kiddin'. I see your point.

Sort of...

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

onegunguy wrote:
take it easy... I'm just kiddin'. I see your point.

So do I and it makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

what I'm hearing from people opposing this idea makes me want to liken this to hunting. if you were hunting and you saw another hunter enter the feild you would promptly open your breach and head for the hills? this is complete nonsense. if you are out in the feild do you run around after every shot and make sure all your buddies have fully and properly engaged their safties, and they are operating correctly? if I was this nervous about shooting, I would quit because it would drive me NUTS! JMO.

-Scott