ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How often do you practice?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

I guess some is better than none and if you have the time that's got to help, but is an hour a week enough to keep in tune?

Post subject: Re: How often do you practice?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Three comments:

1. I guess it depends on the person. I shoot a lot - anywhere from 3-5 days a week if the weather is good. But there are some people who don't shoot anywhere near that much who can kick my butt in a tournament.

2. I've read several motivational books on sports. One (I think it was Lanny Bassham) said that the champion is not always the one who has the most talent - it often is the one who works hardest to make best use of the talent he has.

3. Shooting is not the same thing as practicing. Perhaps that is why I'm not as good as some people who shoot less than I do. I enjoy shooting a round of clays with my friends, and that's what I usually do when I should be practicing. To really practice, you need to systematically work on specific types of targets. That's not always a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:08 pm 
Field Grade

If I don't practice at least once a week, I lose the feel for the game and my average ends up dropping from the mid-eighties to the mid-seventies. I start to measure leads and shoot too deliberately.

R-Mstr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I usually shoot both Saturday and Sunday, If I'm not shooting in a tournament.

I'm not an effective "practicer" and sometimes it amounts to shooting at a bunch of targets on a 5 stand. Though I'm a sporting clay shooter, I've never liked 5 stand very much.

I think the best practice for me has always been shooting Skeet, low gun.

Helps me build consistency.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I got a Do-All 3/4 cock dual arm thrower that me and my brother use to practice off of, you can get a lot more practice in for a lot less $$$ throwin your own,and throw the presentations you want.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:18 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It's too far for me to practice sporting (300 miles) so my registered are my practice. But there is 5 stand/skeet/trap only 80 miles away, when time/weather permits I try to get there and shoot once a week. As long as I obey safety concerns and the club isn't too busy, they let me stand where I want for different presentations.

Practicing "not to miss" on a skeet field can be just as important as practicing how to hit a long bird, you simply cannot afford to miss a skeet type target on a sporting course, because the guy(s) you are shooting against, won't!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks to all for the replies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:34 am 
Presentation Grade

As Mr. Ben said above, Lanny Bassman also believed that when he could not get out to the range, he dry-fired his gun for many hours. Yhis gave him the feel of the gun and the precise trigger control required of his kind of shooting. When I can't get out I practice my mounting at home with the "Mag-Lite" in the barrel. It smooths out your mount and keeps your arms in tune with the weight of it. V/R TonyG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:16 am 
Limited Edition

The original question suddenly gives room to some voice
in my head from the past doggedly telling me:

"Practice does NOT make perfect. PERFECT PRACTICE makes
perfect."

I never know for sure from one week to the next if I will
make it out to practice as I might plan, so every time I am
shooting, I try to have a few specific things defined ahead of time and try very hard not to deviate from them. Then, occasionally,
it doesn't hurt to have no plan at all.

"...the wisest prophets make sure of the event first." - Horace Wapole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:49 am 
Diamond Grade

During the summer I get to shoot 2-3 times per week. Unlike Mr. Ben, I'm still slugging away in the rat race. My usual practice routine is to shoot the entire course. Then go back to the stations I had some difficulty with and shooting another 100 or so targets on those. I pay special attention to the things Dan Carlisle had told me during our lessons. I try to stay on a station until I have broken 10 targets in a row. But sometimes I become stale on a target and I’ll come back later. For particularly difficult targets we measure distance and get a look at the flight path from a different angle. You would be surprised to find targets that seem to be flat crossers actually have a little curl to them. Once per month I get to do a “shoot til you drop” day, where me and my buddy might shoot 600-700 targets. We did our Feb drop yesterday and ended up at 600 targets before the rain came. Just like anything else, progress when you first started in this game was quick. But after you have been at it for a few years things slow down quite a bit. That is when tiny tweaks may net you a bird or 2 over 100 targets.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Mr Ben,
Your commet #3 was right on I think we are all guilty of this one. By the way I'm one of your shooting friends it's me Earl see on the range.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Browning XS wrote:
Mr Ben,
Your commet #3 was right on I think we are all guilty of this one. By the way I'm one of your shooting friends it's me Earl see on the range.

You're part of my problem, Earl! I'd rather have fun shooting a round with you than working on my shooting ability!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I try for a minimum of twice a month - About the most I get to do is 3X a month. Each time I shoot 150 to 200 rounds. Thats probably around 350 to 500 rounds a month over the year

I'm not very good at it and don't compete because I'm not good. I just like shooting and can't really afford to do this more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Right now all my rounds are practice because I don't have the time or money to shoot registered. Even when I can find time I'm not really good enough...yet :wink: .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Every chance I get. Is it helping, wellllllll, I hope it is.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:09 pm 
Limited Edition

R-Mstr wrote:
If I don't practice at least once a week, I lose the feel for the game and my average ends up dropping from the mid-eighties to the mid-seventies. I start to measure leads and shoot too deliberately.

R-Mstr

I run into the same thing. I start to think about it too much and I end up missing target b/c I don't trust the lead that my eye is telling me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I have found that too much practice shooting the targets at "the club" does not help much in getting one ready for a tournament.

I am better off finding a target that I struggle w/ and shoot it over and over til I get the sight picture fixed in my head.At virtually every shoot there is a "separater" station--a tower, a 50 yd crosser, a tough battue and I try to get a little extra practice w/ those type birds.

I also do better at tournaments if I shoot 2 practice rounds of skeet/5 stand/make a Break( whatever they have) before hand.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:37 pm 
Limited Edition

sera russell wrote:
I also do better at tournaments if I shoot 2 practice rounds of skeet/5 stand/make a Break( whatever they have) before hand.

I got similar advice from Mike McAlpine regarding practice. His suggestion was to shoot a round of 16yd trap before shooting sporting. He said that the mental impact of breaking a lot of clays on the trap field will lead to higher scores on the sc course.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Jason: You can't go wrong listening to Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:15 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Mike and I have talked a lot about this. E-mail me and I will send you a training chart. Your scores will skyrocket.

USAS National Coach Development Staff
ATA-HOF, NSCA & NSSA Instructor
Scholastic Clay Sport Consultant
ASEP Professional Coaching Partner

Center Shot Sports
http://centershotsports.com