ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How often do you practice?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:01 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

mcspink wrote:
Mike and I have talked a lot about this. E-mail me and I will send you a training chart. Your scores will skyrocket.

GEE, can you make all our scores skyrocket?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:12 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I can tell you have already made up your mind TexasTon. One thing that is lacking in relation to sporting clays is a measurable chartable practice. You can’t go from range to range in sporting and get a true mean average. Sure you can shoot against people in your class but that really won’t give you a true account of performance. Only if you use a handicap system like the Social Shooting Club in GA can you know how you are performing against your contemporaries. I have used a combination trap and skeet field to improve things like break point set up, break point commitment, window of opportunity issues and the ability to handle match pressure. By using some simple and chartable exercises the shooter can build incredible confidence in hitting 40, 50 and 60-yard shots on a regular basis. If you don’t think that will raise your sporting scores you’re, lost a pair wrong!

USAS National Coach Development Staff
ATA-HOF, NSCA & NSSA Instructor
Scholastic Clay Sport Consultant
ASEP Professional Coaching Partner

Center Shot Sports
http://centershotsports.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:22 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I was completely, dead serious. Who here do you think doesn't want to see their scores soar? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:32 am 
Limited Edition

I think like anything, you have to practice. The key however, is having fun while you do it.The club I belong to, is only 10 minutes from my work and around 25 from my house. I shoot on average around 4-5 times a week. That includes the Wednesday night league.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:26 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I hold no secrets. I can’t figure out how to place an Excel file in the post. That’s why I asked people to e-mail me. The training consists of five exercises done on a weekly basis. Using a combination skeet/trap field lock the trap target straight away. All are scored as a match and are charted on a weekly basis.

1. Using the skeet stations and shooting in sequence shoot the long bird or trap target and on report shoot the corresponding skeet target for that station. Follow the normal skeet round all the way around the field shooting the long bird or trap target first and the skeet target on report. Fifty targets total.
2. Using the skeet stations and shooting in sequence shoot the skeet target and on report shoot the trap target. Follow the normal skeet sequence all the way around the field shooting the skeet bird then the trap bird on report. Fifty targets total.
3. Two rounds of American skeet with all single and first targets on pairs being broken before the center stake. Fifty targets total.
4. Two rounds of international skeet or as close as you can get with random pull delays from the trapper on an American skeet field. Fifty targets total.
5. To work on brake point commitment and the different stages or degrees of down mount I have my students do this simple exercise. This exercise improves break point set up and break point commitment. It also teaches the use of a full down mount, ½ down and just off the face mount. In the exercise the student has to pull the trigger when the gun touches the face at the break point.

While standing on station 3 on a skeet field, I have the student set their break point at the ¾ point. Have the student break five targets from the high house at the ¾ point on the field. This can be shot from a full down mount. Next have them set their break point at the ½ point on the field. Most will need to have the gun at a point half way between their full down mount and their cheek. Have the students break the high house at the ½ point. Next have the student set up to break the high house at the ¼ point on the field. Most will need to have the gun just off their face. Pull the trigger at the ¼ point. Now do the same from the low house and from stations 4 & 5. The complete exercise will be ninety targets in all.

For the coach or trapper their judgment is final. If the student breaks any target to soon or to late it is scored as a miss. I understand this is subjective especially at the ¼ pole, but give credit where credit is due. This exercise is chartable and quantifiable. Confidence will rise exponentially on break point commitment and window of opportunity anxiety. This unbeknownst to the student is match pressure training.

Take for instance exercise two on station three. You shoot the high house at the three-quarter point on the field you are going to have a hard time getting back for that handicap trap target.

Center Shot Sports

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:45 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have an Excel spread sheet that admin can put up if they want to.

Center Shot Sports

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Marvin:

Great idea,and I know some top Sc shooter's who shoot a lot of skeet/trap to hone their skills.Two AllAmericans, in fact.

They shoot w/ Mod choke and don't count a "hit" unless the target inkballs.

I'm not that good but I do better when I devote my practice to certain shots rather than just "shoot the course."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:31 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Your right Sera. In the chart because the scores stack on top of each other, it becomes apparent in a few weeks, which targets are giving you trouble. You can then tailor some extra practice on particular targets.

Center Shot Sports

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:00 pm 
Crown Grade

MCSpink, thanks - good and applicable info.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

At least once a week or a tournament on Sat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Practice whenever the gun is in the shoulder , dry mount , tournement days or a few rounds with the boys .

Remember when you practice never shoot at the ones you can hit , :lol: :!:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:40 pm 
Field Grade

I shoot once of twice a week behind my house. Usually about 15-30 clays each time, the last 3 times I've practiced I haven't missed. Thats shooting staight ahead shots, overhead ducks, hard crossing left to right and right to left, and springing teal. I use remington game loads 250 for $30 at wally world. I shot 15/15 today. 8)